Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy Irish

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buy Irish

Why do so many Irish soccer supporters still cling to their post-colonial inferiority complex and slavishly follow English football even when their clubs are playing our national team. We don't do it in rugby or cricket or golf etc.
    Like lapdogs are we now waiting for the next bone from the masters table. Best of luck to England but surely we need a little more backbone on this side of the water.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by new blue View Post
    Why do so many Irish soccer supporters still cling to their post-colonial inferiority complex and slavishly follow English football even when their clubs are playing our national team. We don't do it in rugby or cricket or golf etc.
    Like lapdogs are we now waiting for the next bone from the masters table. Best of luck to England but surely we need a little more backbone on this side of the water.
    Its better football, simple really. As far as most PL fans are concerned they support teams who play better football end of, thankfully some of those people are Leeds fans

SectionF who i think is Bohsnews on here made a simple yet superb post on boards.ie about why its safe to follow a G14 club your guuranteed success, your gauranteed to have something to cheer about etc:

His original post pretty much summed up what your asking shame i cant find it

kdjac

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    Its better football, simple really. As far as most PL fans are concerned they support teams who play better football end of, thankfully some of those people are Leeds fans

kdjac
    See I think thats a copout, some of the premiership games are terrible, re anything played by Villa, Boro, Wigan, man city and the likes
    If that was the case then surely Irish fans would be getting planes to Spain and Italy every other week?????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    See I think thats a copout, some of the premiership games are terrible, re anything played by Villa, Boro, Wigan, man city and the likes
    If that was the case then surely Irish fans would be getting planes to Spain and Italy every other week?????
    Not the point, they dont have to get the plane they just turn on 401. Its easier on the eye.

kdjac

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with you bennocelt. But you are up against a mentality in this country who believe that if 40,000 people are at something then it's automatically brilliant, whereas if 450 are at it then it's automatically sh1t. Which as any real football fan knows is not necessarily the case.

That principal which when applied to attendances at GAA National League games Vs those at All Ireland and Provincial Championship games then becomes a self -fulfilling prophecy so to speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    preaching to the converted here lads.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It seems like we have this thread every other month. Why do they do it? Who knows but what we do know is they are idiots for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC View Post
    It seems like we have this thread every other month. Why do they do it? Who knows but what we do know is they are idiots for it.
    Many Leeds fans there tonight Anto?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd say there was about 4000 there tonight with about 500/600 being Shels fans. Had great craic with the ones in the bar,who were actually from Leeds. Songs being sung back and forth,general good natured banter. The rest of them outside didn't quite know what to do,as if the whole concept of actually being at the game,was alien to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Many Leeds fans there tonight Anto?
    Gus poyet remaked that it was like a home game so gonna guess yes, Leeds have a big fanbase over here. Most of my mates are leeds fans and go regularly and intend to go again this season.

re the game, was there an italian ref or was that a wind up? It would have made perfect sense really.

kdjac

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Paul Tuite was the ref. A very poor mans Collina but certainly not Italian.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC View Post
    Paul Tuite was the ref. A very poor mans Collina but certainly not Italian.
    dammit the fall from grace was nearly complete

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    You're also overlooking the fact that outside of the top 2/3 teams in the EL, the rest of the football played by the likes of Longford, Waterford etc is shockingly s**t. And unfortunately for you, the s**t Man City plays is far superior to the s**t Longford plays. What I would say to most EL fans, and I'm one myself aswell as being a Liverpool fan, is remove your head from your holes and stop pretending that the premiership is crap. It's not crap, it is in fact far superior to the EL, in every possible way. Stop complaining/bitching about it and stop writing threads about it every second week. Cos it's pathetic Just get on with supporting the EL and watching it grow, and leave out the 'barstooler' bulls**t......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    What was the Shels v Leeds score ??

Didn't even know they were playing....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    2-0 blake and prutton

kdjac

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    You're also overlooking the fact that outside of the top 2/3 teams in the EL, the rest of the football played by the likes of Longford, Waterford etc is shockingly s**t. And unfortunately for you, the s**t Man City plays is far superior to the s**t Longford plays. What I would say to most EL fans, and I'm one myself aswell as being a Liverpool fan, is remove your head from your holes and stop pretending that the premiership is crap. It's not crap, it is in fact far superior to the EL, in every possible way. Stop complaining/bitching about it and stop writing threads about it every second week. Cos it's pathetic Just get on with supporting the EL and watching it grow, and leave out the 'barstooler' bulls**t......
    Banned for being sensible.

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    2-0 blake and prutton

kdjac
    Not knowing who the feck plays for the financially challenged these days, who won?
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Not knowing who the feck plays for the financially challenged these days, who won?
    classic!!!

it really was a battle of the has-beens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    its interesting that this judgement has come from a limerick supporter who hasnt seen the top 2/3 teams in the EL in what - a decade?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    its interesting that this judgement has come from a limerick supporter who hasnt seen the top 2/3 teams in the EL in what - a decade?
    As a supporter of a first division team, he cannot be in a position to accurately comment on the quality of the premier division teams? His comments are less valid than a suporter of a Premier division team?

And which part of the comment, if any, do you disagree with?
    Last edited by osarusan; 08/07/2007 at 9:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast