Thread: Is the average Yank out of touch with reality

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Is the average Yank out of touch with reality

See above...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Badweather Fan
    Average?
    I'd say so.
    But thats only going on Fox News like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by Badweather Fan
    Average?
    I'd say so.
    But thats only going on Fox News like.
    Yeah... I don't wanna start slamming the whole lot of them but their system of government and society in general are fu€ked. I hate Dunphy but his piece in IoS today was pretty good.

Alles les Blues and all that!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Is the average Yank out of touch with reality

Originally posted by sadloserkid
    See above...
    See what??

BTW, treat anything written by Dunphy with great caution, no matter what it is.
    That little mickey man has never had an original thought in his life, so it's probably just a rehashed mish mash of some stuff he has read somewhere else.
    Last edited by patsh; 16/03/2003 at 7:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Re: Re: Is the average Yank out of touch with reality

Originally posted by oddboy
    See what??
    Meant to put a poll there... hadn't time, puter crashed, got lazy etc...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd like to chime in on this, but apparently the (see above) link is missing, and to be perfectly honest, I doubt that anyone will change their point of view, so what's the point?

All this weekend, the news has been about how Natalie Maines expressed her 1st ammendent rights duirng a concert in London and how she's basically burning for it.

It's VERY remminicient of how Sinnead O'Conner's views were viewed ten years ago.

We're a fickle bunch, us Americans. You have every right to express your opinion, but if it's not a popular one, don't balme us if nobody does business with you, buys your CDs, or whatever.

The reality, from the GW Bush point of view is this. The nation of Iraq, has thumbed his nose at some 18 U.N, resolutions calling for his dissarmament, starting from the original Gulf War.

A 'War on Terror' was given it's push for the events of 9-11 and is not designed to be nation specific, as I understand.

The info I've been presented has Sadaam Hussein issuing checks to the families of suicide bombers in Palastine.

Is that the smoking gun/link to Terrorism that the world needs to see? I don't know.

So, like all big dumb Americans, I'm wearing my green FAI shirt today, and celebrating a holiday about a nation of which I'm three generations removed from. I pray for the safety of my brothers and sisters in the American Armed Forces, and pray for a diplomatic solution to this current crisis.

I also pray for the understanding of the Islamic world, that we can solve our differences on the fotoball field or something.

How out of touch was that?
    official mascot of the USL-1 LEADING Richmond Kickers.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by sadloserkid
    I hate Dunphy but his piece in IoS today was pretty good.
    excellent piece even if i despise the gimp

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Kickeroo
    The info I've been presented has Sadaam Hussein issuing checks to the families of suicide bombers in Palastine.

Is that the smoking gun/link to Terrorism that the world needs to see? I don't know.
    It is a link to terrorists, just as the US government's military aid to Israel is aiding terrorists.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    It is a link to terrorists, just as the US government's military aid to Israel is aiding terrorists.
    Thus, the "I don't know" part.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    fair enough. Thats seems to be the problem IMO, is the flow of information from the US media is very much pro-government. look at the abuse Dan Rather got when he went to interview Saddam. If the Americans support their governemnt fine, I'll agree to disagree (vehemently) on it, but i just think the vast majority of people in the US are unaware of all the facts/the bigger picture. For a democracy, the US has a very odd attitude to conscientious objectors and the like.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My mommy taught me to never beleive everything I read. How about you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    I think the major problem with things like this - with debates like this, I mean - is that Americans don't seem to be getting the whole story. The news Americans are getting in the US is vastly different from the news everyone else is getting, well, everywhere else.

For example, I'm assuming Natalie Maines is one of the Dixie Chicks, right? Well, her defense was, well, I've been over this way for a few weeks now, and I'm stunned by how different the reporting is. I didn't know $this and $that were happening, and this wider view is making me think that my fellow Texan, George Bush, is screwing with our heads.

She thought she was doing her fellow Texans a favour, and from this point of view, I think she was too. But of course, even this story is guff for the most part, because most of the stations /that matter/ are taking a "wait and see" approach anyway. Which kind of proves my point?

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    By the way, Kickeroo, on your last point: We can all say that, but we also buy the newspapers that meld with our way of thinking and we believe what they say. So I buy the Irish Times and the Guardian, because I'm a liberal and because they say stuff I agree with, which makes me a liberal, which means I buy their newspapers, yadda yadda yadda. And such is life and how life works. In America at the moment though, if you write a liberal story or dissent, you're a fascist, unpatriotic, unamerican, anti-american, a saddam-supporter, a terrorist. And the /media/ are feeding their own frenzy. That just isn't right, can't be right.

adam

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by Kickeroo
    My mommy taught me to never believe everything I read. How about you?
    Well what do you expect if GW Bush can get into power then there is no need for anyone to be able to read.
    Don't you hate it when mothers are always right.

Kickeroo you are in a bad position through no fault of your own, your freedom of information in America is being suppressed by the very institute that should be championing it, the US Government. You live in a society where the press and the media are controlled by the very people who support the government. You don't get to see what we get to see as it is considered anti establishment.

Is a no win situation, I just hope for your sake you vote him out in two years. You can't use the death of 3,000 people as an excuse to start a war. Most governments believe in disarming Iraq but to go in without the full international support is crazy every anti American in the world will then have a cause.

Any President who refers to an international crisis as a game of cards is a moron who is in too deep and is shown as the puppet he really is. Is that the best GW Bush can come up with in the face of this terror, stamp your foot and blame France. some Leader.

Who are going to make money from a war, the very people who bankrolled GW Bush into power.

What happened to Democracy???
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You folks all make a very good point, and I will do my best to keep as informed as I can on this subject. I absoulutely realize that I am a guest here, and therefore shouldn't poop in a corner and expect everyone to respect the fact that it has an American flag stuck in it.

We are getting a fair share of point-counerpoint media coverage here, but understandably, it's not called a "Liberal Media" or "Conservative talk Radio" for nothing.

I've done my best to have my own point of view on this subject, and as earlier replies have indicated, perhaps I can learn a thing or two from people who see things from a different perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    [ Once again, this was a mistake. I've had to mod a lot of posts on Foot.ie and Boards.ie lately, so it's getting too easy to hit Edit instead of Quote. Sorry SLK. All I can remember of your original post is below. If you can remember the rest, feel free to pop it back here. --adam ]

...I think any objections would have more to do with the fact that you've pooped in the corner on Vetinari's nice rug...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    ...I think any objections would have more to do with the fact that you've pooped in the corner on Vetinari's nice rug...

Nah, he hasn't. He's come in and stated his opinion and listened when others have stated theirs. That kind of poster is always welcome on Foot.ie. It's a pity we don't have more of them...

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by Vetinari

Nah, he hasn't. He's come in and stated his opinion and listened when others have stated theirs. That kind of poster is always welcome on Foot.ie. It's a pity we don't have more of them...

adam
    That's why I said IF . Should I repeat the magic word? IF ... Wanna put my post back up now???

I was just joking dude, how seriously are you taking me?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Average American?? Depends just what you mean by that. Judging by the growing numbers over there who are opposed to the war, it seems there are a few lights coming on in peoples heads after all. Btw, anyone watch the Correspondent programme on BBC 2 last night? Twas about Israel's MASSIVE undeclared nuclear, biological AND chemical capability. Judging by the content of the programme, Israel presents an iminently more dangerous and infinitely bigger threat to world peace/security than Iraq.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As mentioned previously, Bush and Blair are nothing more than war mongering war criminals.

And if im not mistaken, was there not a resolution made against Isreal 30 yrs ago? Bushs war on terror is a joke, as he and previous US presidents have aided and abetted and funded terrorism in the middle east and will continue to do so.

I hope that the first casualties of this war are Bush and Blair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast