Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolan urges more people to support the club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba View Post
    Anything else come out of the meeting?
    Nothing much constructive in terms of financial ideas. Although in fairness to Vincent Nally, he has put together a good proposal to give the club €50,000. A couple of off topic things came up like not been let out at half time(I think they'll do away with that), Oliver Davey's "gestapo" stewarding etc and posters advertising matches.

EDIT: Toolan also said he reads this site and mentioned Midgit. Also, most of the players have agreed to not take wages for this week as there's no games so the club would lose money. Fair play to the ones who did, shame on the ones who didn't. Also, stressed the importance that the club is not in crisis at the moment, right now it is meeting expenditure, it's just if crowds drop any lower, that's when will start hitting a crisis. Gates are down 45% on last season according to the treasurer.
    Last edited by sligoman; 05/06/2007 at 11:48 PM.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Do Sligo Rovers have a trust? and if so what do they do?

Also the supporters club, what was their calendar like last years, how active were they?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Hold it, Sligoman, these are professional people - what they do they do for a living. I don't see why they should be expected to forego wages if they are contracted by an employer. Fair play to the lads who did forego but no reason to criticise those who didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Do Sligo Rovers have a trust? and if so what do they do?
    Yes and no idea, meet every Tuesday night, not much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Also the supporters club, what was their calendar like last years, how active were they
    It was the Trust who brought out the calendars, not "the supporters club".
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Hold it, Sligoman, these are professional people - what they do they do for a living. I don't see why they should be expected to forego wages if they are contracted by an employer. Fair play to the lads who did forego but no reason to criticise those who didn't.
    It's a weeks holidays for them so if they're not doing the work, why get paid?
    Last edited by sligoman; 06/06/2007 at 12:06 AM.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    It was the Trust who brought out the calendars, not "the supporters club".
    No, i mean what was their calendar of events last year? What do they do? How active were they? They were fund raising for themselves obviously but what else did they do?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Do you not get paid when you're on holidays from work? Want Deccie Bree's number?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Do you not get paid when you're on holidays from work? Want Deccie Bree's number?
    Yes but I'm not a footballer. Things are bound to be different for them as I'm sure they don't get paid during winter months when season is over? Or do they?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    What's the story with Sinead Fraher?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Yes but I'm not a footballer. Things are bound to be different for them as I'm sure they don't get paid during winter months when season is over? Or do they?
    Footballer R not thet are entitled to their wages.How its expected for people to not recieve their entitlements is crazy.We are down the road of Shelborne & longford.As far I know players have to be for close season from now on.liecning laws!
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Afaik you have to NOW pay players all year round, so you with-hold a certain amount every week and use that to pay them in the close season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Afaik you have to NOW pay players all year round, so you with-hold a certain amount every week and use that to pay them in the close season.
    No, thats completely wrong - a players contract is for a set number of weeks or annualised. Some players get paid for the 36 weeks of the seson only, some for 42 or 44 and some all year round. Thats why the discussion around wages focussed on weekly is nonsense. The issues is what the player costs the club in a 12 month period and in our top flight that can range from 10k pa to 150k pa!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Good man, Ronnie, you right on the money. Now, what about Sinead Fraher?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Who is this fair maiden you speak of?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Good man, Ronnie, you right on the money. Now, what about Sinead Fraher?
    Think she organises knitting classes and the likes of flowering arranging for the first team. Being a professional footballer can be tedious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    She also has a good article in Womans Way explaining the off-side rule.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Well, Rocketfingers, I'm glad she is seeing somebody because we're not seeing too much of her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    From the Derry message board. May be this could give her the jist of the job.

Club Promotions Officer
    Latest news from Noel Martin
    Monday 04 June 2007
    I am writing to inform supporters what I have been working on since my appointment twelve weeks ago as club promotions officer for Derry City Football Club.

My primary role is to work within the community with primary and secondary schools, local community and voluntary groups, youth clubs and local football clubs to maintain existing interest and generate new interest in Derry City Football club and the Eircom League.

My first six weeks were spent getting an overview of the existing role that Derry City FC already plays within the community, getting to know the board members and their individual responsibilities, the development and programme committees, the website management team and all the volunteers who give their time and energy to the day to day running of our club.

I have also been spending time with various departments and structures within the F.A.I sharing ideas on ways to promote the Eircom league.

The following objectives have been agreed with the Chief Executive, Jim Roddy, and we believe, that these programmes will maintain and further enhance relationships within the community and increase our present fan base.

Roll out the “Schools Programme”: Visit all local schools during the season and provide information on subjects such as healthy eating, anti-racism etc. Provide assistance and get players and Derry City FC staff involved in promotional activities, presentations, and questions and answer sessions. Provide tickets to pupils, parents and carers for home games.

Roll out the “Youth Clubs Programme”. This programme will have the same format as the above schools programme

“Show Racism The Red Card” Programme: This will kick off with a launch which will be held in Sept/Oct. Invitations will be sent to community groups, schools, political parties and church leaders. The plan is to show our combined support against racism in society. This programme will also be driven by all major sporting organisations throughout Europe.

“Community Participation Programme”: I plan to visit community, voluntary, ethnic minority, senior citizen groups, people with disabilities and rural projects who have not previously had connections with Derry City Football Club. Community participants will be invited to home games and I will be encouraging groups to make Derry City FC home games part of their social calendar.

Upgrade the Club Database: This will enable me to directly mail/text club supporters with information, promotional offers and up and coming events.

Develop further relationships with local agencies and businesses: In conjunction with Derry City’s Chief Executive further develop relationships with key community partners, to help us provide new community programmes.

Fans Survey: Within the next two weeks we will be asking the community to take part in a survey to gauge how we as a football club are interacting within the community, and what improvements can be made.

Weekly progress reports on the objectives set will be provided to Derry City and the F.A.I. A review will be held in July and a final review held in November, where we will make the required changes/adjustments for next season.

I welcome any feedback, ideas and suggestions on the promotion of our club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    It took him six weeks to meet everyone involved with Derry City.

What a massive club !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne;
    It took him six weeks to meet everyone involved with Derry City.

What a massive club !
    You have to admire the sense of ironic humour exhibited by a Galway fan slagging off Derry as not being a big club.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Yes, that's what the club secretary said at the previous meeting in the Radisson.
    "he tries his best.... but I was a proper player".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast