Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maddie Kidnapping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Maddie Kidnapping

Just heard on Newstalk that the Portuguese police have arrested three people in connection with the abduction of Maddie and have summoned her parents to a local police station.

A press conference has been called for 6 o'clock.

Hope this is good news, but it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

update on Sky News

Police hunting for Madeleine McCann are said to be focusing on two men and a woman seen with a girl matching her description.

Madeleine: Missing for one weekOfficers have called a news conference for later today and Madeleine's parents were driven away at speed from their apartment.

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt, who is in Portugal, says it appears there has been some significant development.

According to reports, officers have examined CCTV footage showing a girl fitting Madeleine's description with a woman and two men at a service station just a few miles from the village of Praia Da Luz, on the road towards Spain.

The Portuguese newspaper, 24 Horas, said the woman was in her 40s, blonde and appeared foreign.

Martin Brunt said police have shown a still from the CCTV to a British tourist who confirmed it showed a man he had to chase off from photographing his daughter.

Kate McCann at the service"Things are happening, they could be important, there could be a big development," he said.

Earlier a special service was held in the village church at Praia Da Luz in Portugal to mark one week since Madeleine McCann was abducted.

The three-year-old's mother, Kate, repeatedly broke down in tears and had to be supported by a friend as she listened to prayers for Madeleine's safe return.

A small picture of the child hung next to the altar and many of the worshippers cried during the service.

The priest, who was British, said: "They are empty and in despair, but Christ knows where Kate and Gerry McCann are, he knows where Madeleine's grand parents are."

The strain of the last seven days was plain to see on Kate McCann's face as she accepted the sacraments.

The email posterFriends of the McCann family have also arranged a service in Merseyside tonight to pray for the little girl's safe return.

The service will be led by Father Paul Seddon, who married the McCanns and baptised Madeleine.

And Everton FC has released a picture of her in a club shirt.

Captain Phil Neville said everyone was "praying for Madeleine's safe return."

A poster campaign has also been launched by Madeleine's family.

More than 23,000 copies of the poster have been downloaded from the Sky News website and the family have now made it available in French and Spanish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Absolutely terrifying. I hope she's found.

It really freaks me out, though, when the British media get hold of a story like this and it's "Maddie" this and "Maddie" that on the front pages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It really freaks me out that if her parents weren't both doctors, they'd be slaughtered in the press.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    It really freaks me out that if her parents weren't both doctors, they'd be slaughtered in the press.
    Made that exact point to my Mother the other night and got called a 'sicko'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Perhaps we should all stop having pops at her parents and the press until we know she's alive or not. Theres plenty of time for blame afterwards.

Doctors or not, British or not, these people are human beings that made a huge mistake. Hopefully its not one they'll have to regret for the rest of their lives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yep. Hopefully they get the kid back and we can string them up then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I lost my 4 year old child in Spain for 45 minutes. He was walking beside me and we were looking at a menu. Turned around and he was gone. Not speaking Spanish it was agonising. He had found he was onto the nearby beach. We had just arrived and didn't know where anything was. It was the day of the 2002 world cup final. I will never forget it as long as I live. The most agonising 45 minutes of my life. He had wandered on to a nearby beach. The local police found him. The joy in finding him was unbelievable. I certainly won't be condemning the parents of Madeline.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I think the parents have shipped a fair bit of stick on this tbh,my 4 year old son disappeared from under my nose in a Supermarket in Copenhagen,I was holding his hand and let it go to take out my money to pay for something in the shop and when i looked down to take his hand again,he'd vanished.

He was missing for about 20 mins and I enlisted the help of about 10 shoppers to help me find him,he was found hiding behind a load of crates of beer in the off licence.

That feeling I had for the 20 mins he was missing will be with me for the rest of my life.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Whilst I'd agree it's not the time, I don't think drummerboy and 12th man's examples are really the same circumstances as the current case. They do however, make me make a mental note to put a lead on any kids I'm lucky enough to have in the future!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Whilst I'd agree it's not the time, I don't think drummerboy and 12th man's examples are really the same circumstances as the current case. They do however, make me make a mental note to put a lead on any kids I'm lucky enough to have in the future!
    Exactly...those were accidents that could happen to anyone. These parents chose to let a 3 year old alone with younger kids. Of course they didnt expect this but anything could have happened a fire, one of the kids getting sick etc.

Saying that all thats important right now is trying to get the girl back safely....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    These parents chose to let a 3 year old alone with younger kids.
    But weren't they eating in the restaurant in the same hotel and could see the room door from their table? Also weren't hotel staff meant to be looking in on them. AFAIK this is common enough when people go on holidays.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Thumbs down

Press conference didn't amount to much. It seems that the police haven't got a clue at all, or else they're very close and keeping their cards very close to their chest. I reckon its the former....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    But weren't they eating in the restaurant in the same hotel and could see the room door from their table?
    No, i didn't see it myself but it was either the BBC or the Independent showed the area and said there was no way they could have kept an eye on them.

Its completely different from the examples ye have posted above lads, in fairness. They do deserve blame.

Hope the child turns up safe obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Have they confirmed that she was abducted?
    Its highly possible that she went out wandering, being 3 and in a hotel-room alone.
    Just speculating but a 3 year old could easily have fallen down a lift shaft, rubbish chute.

I'm just thinking of a case in my area where a very young kid was missing for i think it was two weeks but turned out had committed suicide and was in the body was in the house all along.
    Sorry for the grim post.
    Was anything said at half 6?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I lost my 4 year old child in Spain for 45 minutes. He was walking beside me and we were looking at a menu. Turned around and he was gone. Not speaking Spanish it was agonising. He had found he was onto the nearby beach. We had just arrived and didn't know where anything was. It was the day of the 2002 world cup final. I will never forget it as long as I live. The most agonising 45 minutes of my life. He had wandered on to a nearby beach. The local police found him. The joy in finding him was unbelievable. I certainly won't be condemning the parents of Madeline.
    When I was 11 I went missing in Florida for 2 hours - scary!
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Reports on the radio saying Portuguese police scaling down their operation. Child is obviously not in the resort anymore
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd hate to every have the experience of losing a child even for a short time. What the parents of a child snatched go through I can't even begin to understand or imagine what is going through their mind.
    Last edited by Dricky; 11/05/2007 at 10:41 AM.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I certainly won't be condemning the parents of Madeline.
    yeah too right, cant believe people are so ready to be critical of the parents, people make mistakes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    yeah too right, cant believe people are so ready to be critical of the parents, people make mistakes
    uh, a mistake is one thing, but should any parent not be criticised for leaving three under 3 years old children alone in a hotel room? had the child simply wandered off and been found a day later, she would probably be taken from them by child welfare officers.

meanwhile, because the UK press have latched onto the case, there is now a £2.5million reward should someone find her, or to go to the parents should she be dead.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast