Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The Title

I have been looking for a link to this story, but I can’t find one. The Mail on Sunday sport section “THE TITLE” usually has Sweet F All on the Eircom League, and when it does it only carries negative stories. True to form it had a full page write up on Rovers, by Mark Gallagher.
    The heading was “why is it that when Sligo take one step forward it inevitably becomes two steps backward”
    Michael Toolan is quoted, and he tries to put as good as light on things as he can. But then you have Conor O’Grady quoting all that is wrong.
    No manager 4 days before the season starts. Inexperienced players. His opinion that the Management Committee rushed the appointment of McDonald. He has played under 6 different mgrs at the Showground’s. He has played with over 500 different players. The club not able to keep squads together. Etc. All very negative comments.
    I wonder why did Conor give this interview, there is enough bad publicity about Rovers in the last number of weeks, without one of our own adding to it.
    The story finishes with the comment that it looks like Sligo Rovers are about to slide back into the bad times, after briefly enjoying some good ones.
    Same as it ever was for the club.
    Did anyone else see it or care to comment?
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i would have no problem with o'grady saying what he did. I would be worried if he said anything different. it's important to acknowledge when things arent quite right and i'm glad to see him giving an honest appraisal of it. everything he said was spot on so i'd take no issue with it. should one of our own just say nothing and say it's all great and there are no problems.

Mark gallagher's writing is always pretty much negative and he only surfaces when there is a negative news story. but maybe in this case i dont see him as being wrong. our club has always stepped forward and then pettered backwards again. it's down the the recruitment policy for managers. any success is soley down to a good manager who moves on, with players leaving too. we've never had the structures to move forward continously. The MC are excellent at what they do but they've no idea in terms of club structures , player welfare and appointing managers. managers are always recommended and appointed. i think the last panel and interview process was back when jimmy mullen got appointed.

i wouldnt agree that the MC appointed mcdonald too quickly. sean connor wasnt appointed with any more consideration but it just worked out in his case. it didnt with mcdonald.

rovers always enjoy a few good times then slide away. it's just one of those things. we just have to enjoy the good times when they come and endure the bad. although 1/2 seasons success in 10 is hard to endure. as things stand we'll always need to punch above our weight. for me success will be staying in the prem for many many years.

its not nice seeing our club in articles like these. but it's not like these articles are unwaranted and coming from nowhere.
    Last edited by neutrino; 13/03/2007 at 7:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I'd imagine he gets at least some of his info off this site.