Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Is Geary playing left back this season?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    mostly LB, a few games at RB too cos they've had a lot of injuries. unsworth would be first choice LB i'd say but has been out injured for a while but in fairness to derek he has taken his chance and played well by all accounts, in a team that look to have a very good spirit with everyone pulling together. he seems to be pretty versatile, dare i say comparable to jos!

as regards the emanuel situation i dont think its fair to compare players judged on how their team performs. would you expect the blades to beat liverpool with emanuel in their team instead of geary? games are not won or lost because of the full back. stan clearly wanted to bring in emanuel to get him to be irish qualified, but i dont think england were coming calling for emanuel(understatement of the year?) i dont see why the likes of emanuel, tabb etc who are playing for very average championship teams and are extremely unliklely to move to the premiership should be favoured over players that are on the fringes(long, geary) of clearly better teams with the potential for more progress.
    maybe the point i'm trying to make is xenophobic or overly patriotic in which case i apologise to any english people who love little old eire but i hate to see stan picking these chaps that arent going to add much, if anything, over lads from crumlin or waterford.
    ive wandered way too far off topic, so here's hoping the flaming red head stephen quinn gets his chance in front southend's up and coming left midfielder charles smith

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sheer Eloquence...Beautifully illustrated!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    Sheer Eloquence...Beautifully illustrated!
    ........ Quinns volleying ability.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    ........ Quinns volleying ability.
    i cant wait to see a left footed volley from the boy!

i wonder if former gaa players would be better volleyers seeing as though they're used to kicking the ball in the air.. could be another reason to exclude emanuel et al??!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    A la Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Stephen Quinn,Darren Dennehy, Diarmaid O'Carroll et al... Think Matthew Taylor played the odd bit off GAA after that wonder strike on Saturday

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    Think Matthew Taylor played the odd bit off GAA after that wonder strike on Saturday
    i know his mother, she's from leitrim, and said she always tried to get him into gaelic but that her autocratic husband wouldnt have it, but any time he went to work the o'neills was brought out to young matthew's delight, clearly the tactic has paid dividends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, while I admit that applying the Granny rule can seem cynical when there are decent home-grown lads available, please give concepts like "indigenous" and "1G" a break.
    Younger posters may not know this, but not too long ago we had emigration rather than immgration with the result that we have Irish people showing the poor foreigners how to play sports all over the world. You can be 100% Irish without being Irish-born (myself and DeV are prime examples) and given the wanderlust of this island's children over the last couple of centuries I really think indigenity is a redundant criterion.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the post View Post
    Lads, while I admit that applying the Granny rule can seem cynical when there are decent home-grown lads available, please give concepts like "indigenous" and "1G" a break.
    Younger posters may not know this, but not too long ago we had emigration rather than immgration with the result that we have Irish people showing the poor foreigners how to play sports all over the world. You can be 100% Irish without being Irish-born (myself and DeV are prime examples) and given the wanderlust of this island's children over the last couple of centuries I really think indigenity is a redundant criterion.

Cue another repeat of the "another scottish player declares for us" thread....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    i know his mother, she's from leitrim, and said she always tried to get him into gaelic but that her autocratic husband wouldnt have it, but any time he went to work the o'neills was brought out to young matthew's delight, clearly the tactic has paid dividends
    That's Matthew Taylor of Portsmouth? He's Irish?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    sorry praha, that was a bit of wishful thinking on my part. he's actually being touted for england at the moment given their dearth of LM players. i hoped the post was off the wall enough not to create any confusion. apologies!!

as for this indigenity thing..best to keep it away from this thread, we dont want to steal any of the quinn bros limelight with such a fervent topic. i'll be happy to contribute to the debate on a new thread if it needs resurrecting. just as i'm on it though i think emanuel, frecklington are exceptional and are signs of stans woeful inadequacy-he said he'd scour the country(england) looking for new players while neglecting to watch stokes("he's gone backwards at arsenal"). in other words time was wasted trawling through genealogy of players who would be flabbergasted to get an irish call up to the detriment of guys playing their heart out with the hope that they might be called upon to play for their country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agreed, I doubt it's necessary to start a new "How Irish R U?" thread. All credit to Stan and his mates for casting the net far and wide but they do seem to have overlooked a few more obvious candidates.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I happened to catch that Sheffield UTD game and the quinn fella seemed like a good wee player, but I think if he played international, the opposing players would target him because he looks like a featherweight and he wouldnt add much to the setup.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    I happened to catch that Sheffield UTD game and the quinn fella seemed like a good wee player, but I think if he played international, the opposing players would target him because he looks like a featherweight and he wouldnt add much to the setup.
    Sort of agree though think he's a bit of a shorta*se rather than lightweight. Think if he can make it in the Preimership, he'll be OK internationally, not as if he'll be coming up against significantly better players internationally than in that League which has the best player from Germany, Czech Republic and Wales (amongst others)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeh cause short a*** players never make it, Maradonna springs to mind ! I could go on and list a whole lot players who have been vertically challenged. The lad is a good player and he plays with passion from what I've seen from the Villa match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thought I'd throw this in to fuel my Derek Geary obsession, Neil Warnock's latest praise... "And Warnock feels the way in which the Dubliner has adapted to the top flight makes him one of the best full backs around.

He said: “The team have surprised themselves, not me because I know they are capable. They were a bit apprehensive going into the Premiership but they’ve relaxed a bit and now they are more confident.

“Take Derek Geary, he’s got into the side, is playing better than ever and on current form is the best in the Premiership - yes, he’s playing better than Ashley Cole." http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=25823

And reverting to the real topic, Quinn with a solid performance and assist for the United winner... Shortarse or no shortarse he's doing the business.
    Last edited by republicofwhite; 17/12/2006 at 3:05 PM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I remember watching Sheffield last season so I could get a look at Quinn, however the player who did impress me was Geary, I remember thinkng, "It's a pity he isn't Irish!!", I didn't realise he was at the time!! Also saw a bit of him against Man U, where Rooney tried a bit of showboating in front of him, which ended up with Rooney looking bit of an old wreck when Geary put in a challange on him! I can certaintly see where Warnock is coming from. I would not be surpprised to see him in the first team before long. I also heard a Shefield fan on the radio saying he was out jumping Heskey to get to balls, who is about twice his size!!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 17/12/2006 at 9:24 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Geary has improved since his time at wednesday but he is not international class. He's a trier who is very limited going forward and liable to do rash things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbleddyman View Post
    Geary has improved since his time at wednesday but he is not international class. He's a trier who is very limited going forward and liable to do rash things
    Its not about his class. Its whether there are 2/3 better Irish left backs than him. IMO there isn't
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbleddyman View Post
    very limited going forward and liable to do rash things
    Sounds like John O'Shea and Ian Harte to me... Note I left out the "trier" tag, in other words at least Geary tries, unlike the others. And in terms of the international class debate...I think thats irrelevant, I dont think Ireland can ever proclaim to have the luxury of fielding 11 genuinely international class players. The facts are that we will never have a true embarrassment of riches in our squad pickings so in that case, players who will give everything for the jersey should deserve their place,its their attitude which gets results, to make up for the ability. Geary, IMO, has an excellent attitude, as exhibited consistently throughout this season, much better than the seemingly disinterested O'Shea. When we're talking about the Irish left back position, I think its a bit ironic and rich of us to start being selective and choosy...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast