Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shels financial difficulties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    btw A sure you got it first time, and there wasn't some issue over tax that youse threatened to go to court about?
    There is no such thing as a tax clearance cert under the UK Revenue Macy, I thought you would know that! Yet the licensing body still tried to penalise us first time even though we had proved we had no tax outstanding.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    There is no such thing as a tax clearance cert under the UK Revenue Macy, I thought you would know that! Yet the licensing body still tried to penalise us first time even though we had proved we had no tax outstanding.
    I do know that - companies outside the state can get a statement of suitability from Revenue instead. They need to complete Revenue Form TC3a, for future reference.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Well we were the first, and at the time only, club to get awarded an A license, and I've heard nothing to the contrary since, so I guess the answer to your question is 'yes'.

City spent a lot of time and money at the introduction of licensing to make sure we met the criteria. We were, in fact, the only club to take it completely seriously. It turned out that no-one else had bothered their arse to do likewise, and so effectively we had compromised our ability to spend income on our on-pitch performances for that season for absolutely nothing.

And what was the FAI's response ? Shift the boundaries to magically have everyone meet the appropriate license criteria. All that effort and money spent in Derry for feck all..... Makes you wonder if it's ever worth doing anythigng the FAI says.
    Thats looking thru very Rose tinted glasses Galway United have taken the Licencing matter seriously from Day one and we are hoping that this will pay off in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I do know that - companies outside the state can get a statement of suitability from Revenue instead. They need to complete Revenue Form TC3a, for future reference.
    A TC3A is for foreign Companies tendering for public sector contracts in Ireland. Not exactly relevant and requires you to be registered for payment of tax in the Republic.

To the Galway fan, we were the only club to get an A license first time around. I am fully aware that Galway have been paragons of virtue in relation to licensing.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Statement of Suitability is the equivalent of tax clearance. It is mostly applicable for public sector contracts and grants, same as a tax clearance cert, and only requires registration for tax where appropriate. Irrelevant now anyway to Derry's case, as some fudge was obviously found to allow them to get the A Licence on appeal the first time.

You'd swear it was some disadvantage to having your club run properly in a sustainable way. I mean Derry have shown you can compete and if they continue to meet the critea should mean that their sorted for the foreseeable future.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Derry did not get the A license "first time round". They may have been the first to get it but the first letter they received stated they failed. Most clubs got it on first appeal. Most clubs haven't had a hint of trouble with it since, and most clubs take it very very seriously (Pats basically have a guy working full time just on licensing/IAG). Its just that the whole process is not taken seriously by the league or FAI (and obviously one or two clubs) and the standards set down are not enforced. Too much emphasis was placed on painting stairs (eg) while clubs were allowed into administration (rovers), face winding up orders (Cork, Shels) and fold (can't remember).

Then IAG came in and clubs had to redo everything and licensing became a secondary concern. All these demands were made of the clubs without a single cent coming in assistance from the league, FAI or the government.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Derry did not get the A license "first time round". They may have been the first to get it but the first letter they received stated they failed. Most clubs got it on first appeal. Most clubs haven't had a hint of trouble with it since, and most clubs take it very very seriously (Pats basically have a guy working full time just on licensing/IAG). Its just that the whole process is not taken seriously by the league or FAI (and obviously one or two clubs) and the standards set down are not enforced. Too much emphasis was placed on painting stairs (eg) while clubs were allowed into administration (rovers), face winding up orders (Cork, Shels) and fold (can't remember).

Then IAG came in and clubs had to redo everything and licensing became a secondary concern. All these demands were made of the clubs without a single cent coming in assistance from the league, FAI or the government.
    Agree with the above.

Financial and legal should be prioritised in the short-term, with infrastructure being a medium-long term goal, aided by significant grant aid.

I would imagine the FAI will be taking it seriously this year as they won't want another club to go under in the first year of their stewardship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    That sums up what is wrong with league. Even clubs that are doing it right have fans who'd prefer to have spent on players instead of doing things right.
    That's not what i said at all Macy. I just pointed out that we were effectively penalised by diverting funds towards taking the licensing seriously when no-one else seemed to. That is faily indisputable.

We were clearly happy to spend money on Licenng, but it did us no good when the process suggested it should have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    That's not what i said at all Macy. I just pointed out that we were effectively penalised by diverting funds towards taking the licensing seriously when no-one else seemed to. That is faily indisputable.

We were clearly happy to spend money on Licenng, but it did us no good when the process suggested it should have.
    It didn't suggest it'd have immediate effect. Think long term...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Meeting over, any players at the end of their contracts have just been told they will not be getting new offers, free to go.

Who is out of contract?
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    What about the payment issues for those still under contract? Jim Crawford is the only out of contract player that comes to my mind.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I'd say there is more than one from what I heard. Can't say too much yet.

I don't know what will happen with regard to the players staying on. You know how quickly these things change so you'll forgive my coyness.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    According to a post on Shelsweb all these are out of contract: Gary O'Neill, Ollie Cahill, Joey Ndo, Dean Delaney, Steve Williams, Dave Crawley and Jim Crawford.

That would mean losing their player of the season and both their goalkeepers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    That's most of the names I had. From one of them. Tough times if it actually is allowed to happen. Seems fairly certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore but while the dogs on the street are discussing this, over on Shelsweb they're talking about next year's Champions League campaign and the fab poster you can get of the squad. Do they employ someone to move the deckchairs around as well?

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have to say there are too many damn rumours. Now I know from a player that the meeting was this morning but have not heard what came out of it and won't until this evening. Does anyone have anything concrete one way of the other. Losing those 7/8 players is a blow to start with if true. And I thought when Fenlon turned us down that he next plan was to tie all that up in 1/2 weeks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore but while the dogs on the street are discussing this, over on Shelsweb they're talking about next year's Champions League campaign and the fab poster you can get of the squad. Do they employ someone to move the deckchairs around as well?

KOH
    You shouldn't be surprised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    My guess as to what the plan will be - let the out of contract players go. Try and get a transfer fee off us for Crowe and AN Other to go towards paying the wages over the closed season.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chippie0001 View Post
    Have to say there are too many damn rumours. Now I know from a player that the meeting was this morning but have not heard what came out of it and won't until this evening. Does anyone have anything concrete one way of the other. Losing those 7/8 players is a blow to start with if true. And I thought when Fenlon turned us down that he next plan was to tie all that up in 1/2 weeks.

What I posted above is concrete, but I don't want to look an eejit if things take another turn during the day or week, which seems to happen a lot in EL circles, hence my reluctance to go over the top with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post

KOH
    It reminds me of North Korea on Shelsweb. They only see what the Minister of Propaganda and Misinformation want them to see.

Even Stuart Byrne's rant smacked of brainwashing.

I'm off to organise a food parcel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast