Page 268 of 380 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,360 of 7589

Thread: Robbie Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Robbie's contract will not be renewed at Villa as LA Galaxy have refused to give permission. IMO, not the greatest news in terms of the Euro.
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...end-Keane-loan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Robbie's contract will not be renewed at Villa as LA Galaxy have refused to give permission. IMO, not the greatest news in terms of the Euro.
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...end-Keane-loan
    Keane has shown he can step in after not playing for a few weeks and still excel at Premier League level. He'll be confident after scoring some goals for the Galaxy and he won't get terrible all of a sudden due to a few months playing in MLS.

Robbie will be sharp, hungry and he'll score the goals we need to make a push for the knockout stage this summer.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    As good as he's been for Villa, I'm not sure another few months scrapping for survival in the Premier League would be great preparation for the Euros.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    CD: Don't think Villa are relegation candidates just yet.

The move back to the MLS won't be bad for him, if he continues with the form he's in, there's no reason why he won't be the league's top scorer by the time he heads off to the Euros.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Maybe not candidates but I think at this point survival is their main objective.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Robbie has done very well. There must be a few premiership clubs kicking themselves that they did not go in for him before he moved to Galaxy.

If nothing else this spell with Villa will have given Robbie a real confidence boost. There is nothing like actually doing it to prove to others and yourself that you still can.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think Robbie should be quite happy with his time at Villa. His stock amongst clubs and fans would have been quite low after the end of last season, certainly since his days at Liverpool. Whilst I still think America was a lazy choice, he has obviously refreshed himself mentally, looks sharp and back to his best. His Villa cameo was a neat reminder to all that there was good reason for Liverpool's interest and with a good showing at the Euros, we may yet see Robbie back in the Premiership at a good club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Robbie plays best when full of confidence. LA has def restored that and the loan spell at villa has strengthened it further. Chances are RK will get himself a hatfull of goals between now and euros for galaxy, which should leave reasonably sharp and very confident heading into June.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    I agree that the Villa spell has gone very well for Robbie. Many of the villa fans reckon he walked into their team and was instantly their best player, they credited his movement, leadership, passion and how he seemed to really link the midfield and attack particularly getting the best out of Ireland and Bent. Given that his reputation amongst them before the deal was that he was a mere bench warmer ahead of Heskey his rise in prominence amongst them will surely do his confidence the world of good.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Robbie is supposedly homesick and may return back to the Premiership.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-return.html
    Last edited by gastric; 20/02/2012 at 6:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,333 Posts
    Mentions of homesickness by Robbie Keane in that article: 0

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Mentions of homesickness by Robbie Keane in that article: 0

Granted, it has all the looks of a fill in article, but I felt it was worth reporting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    And wouldn't a move to Shamrock Rovers rather than the Premiership suit him best if he is indeed homesick?

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    And wouldn't a move to Shamrock Rovers rather than the Premiership suit him best if he is indeed homesick?
    he's not that home$ick

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    If Rovers have the money, hopefully they will sign him! In the meantime, I think being paid big money in England and having the opportunity to get home regularly, something he can't do presently, just might have to suffice.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    If Rovers have the money, hopefully they will sign him! In the meantime, I think being paid big money in England and having the opportunity to get home regularly, something he can't do presently, just might have to suffice.
    Joking aside, how "regularly" do you think a professional footballer based in England gets to travel back to Ireland during the season? My guess is not very often, except when reporting for international duty, which Keane still does when based in LA. Premiership players very rarely have more than a day off at a time during the season. So I’d say during the MLS season he gets back to Ireland just as often as he did when he was playing in England.

Obviously he can go “home” during the close season, but again that’s easy enough to do from LA. And as it happens, the close season in the US is much longer than in England, so ironically he would actually have the opportunity to spend more time in Ireland each year while playing in the MLS. However, in the most recent close season in the US, Robbie chose not to have time off (to go back to Ireland or otherwise), but instead to sign on loan for another club in England. And bear in mind too that he hasn’t lived in Ireland since he was a kid, and in the intervening years he has moved from one city/country to another more times than anyone can remember.

So to be honest, I’d say the whole “homesickness” thing is a complete red herring, and the journalist who made this up probably did so on the premise that Robbie is “British” and therefore England is just another part of his home country. It’s fairly common for British people to hold the view that Irish people are not foreign. And I’m not having a go here as I don’t think they mean any harm by that - quite the opposite in fact – they just genuinely don’t get that most Irish people see it differently.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's pretty much my take on it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    If I recall correctly, Keane and his missus have no intention of coming home after his playing career. And wasn't the fact that they didn't want to move from London a thing that scuppered a few potential moves for him from Spurs? So homesickness could well be true - we just think of his home as a different place than he does.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I could be wrong but I don't think too many Irish players return to Ireland after their careers are over. I would always think of Ireland as home as I'm I'm sure most of the players do but coming back to live here with their families? I'd say they are in a minority.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think too many Irish players return to Ireland after their careers are over. I would always think of Ireland as home as I'm I'm sure most of the players do but coming back to live here with their families? I'd say they are in a minority.
    Your probably right. Just keeping it to some of the Irish born players retired in recent times, I know Bonner, Quinn, Moran are all back in Ireland but the likes of Stan, Cunningham (I think), Whelan, Keane and Kinsella are UK based.