Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civic reception for Derry in France

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Civic reception for Derry in France

Derry City FC will receive a red carpet reception on their visit to Paris this week. The Candystripes play Paris Saint Germain in the 1st Round of the UEFA Cup in Paris on Thursday evening.

Before that though, the Irish Ambassador to France, Anne Anderson, will host a civic reception for the manager, players, staff and officials of Derry City Football Club and among those in attendance will be the Mayor of Derry, Helen Quigley, the MP for Foyle, Mark Durkan, and his wife Jackie, along with other dignitaries in Paris for the game.

Continued here.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Nice gesture.

Good to see that someone in officialdom knows there are Irish teams other than Manchester United and Glassow Celtic in existence, and that they are capable of progressing the cause of Irish sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Queen

Would DCFC have turned away a similar invite from the Queens ambassador in Paris?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Would DCFC have turned away a similar invite from the Queens ambassador in Paris?
    There's only so many Ferrero Rocher you can eat in one evening...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not looking for a load of hotheads to pile in here, but why are the MP's etc. going to be there? I can understand the team being invited but an Irish Ambassador hosting British MP's in Paris is a bit odd.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Well done Thomas. You win the award for the first person to rather predictably bring up the double-edged political/constitutional status of Derry/Northern Ireland.

Good for you. Only took 10 hours and 12mins, though I suspect you and everyone else on the board spent most of that time asleep, so doubly impressive.

Why would the British representative in Paris look to host a reception for a team representing Ireland playing a team representing France.....? Should they have Ajax round for a cup of tea the next time they face PSG in Europe as well ? Did the Romany ambassador to Poland, or the Minister for the Homeless, host a reception for the Rovers team when you played Odra......?

Tell you what - when the British ambassador to Paris sends us the invite, we'll worry about it then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Not looking for a load of hotheads to pile in here, but why are the MP's etc. going to be there? I can understand the team being invited but an Irish Ambassador hosting British MP's in Paris is a bit odd.
    C'mon Peader - you're not that daft.

Glad to see your Unionist credentials to the fore though, and that you consider Mark Durkan to be British.

How can it be odd to invite the team, but not the MP ? Both represent the same town, regardless fo which particular jurisdiction it falls in at the moment. And it's MP singular, not plural. Shocking that the Irish Ambassador should want the MP for Derry to come along as well given that he's in Paris for the day. Probably driven by a sense of guilt, given that it was the Irish government who deserted places like Derry in 1922 for their own benefit, and therefore ensured they remained constitutionally British......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Glad to see your Unionist credentials to the fore though, and that you consider Mark Durkan to be British.
    Now, now Steve, don't turn this into an political flame war.
    The guy is elected as part of a British democracy. I therefore consider his status as MP to be a British title. I'm not concerned about his nationality.

I'm just not sure why politics should be mixed in with football, when Derry play in the league of a country seperate from that which those officials were elected.

There was no Civic Reception when we went to Nantes, but then again, it wouldn't have been politically notable if there was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Why oh why do Derry fans have to rise to this every single time something like this is brought up?

Its not like anyone has anything novel or unique to bring to the discussion.

Ignoring it gives it the recognition it derserves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Now, now Steve, don't turn this into an political flame war.
    The guy is elected as part of a British democracy. I therefore consider his status as MP to be a British title. I'm not concerned about his nationality.

I'm just not sure why politics should be mixed in with football, when Derry play in the league of a country seperate from that which those officials were elected.

There was no Civic Reception when we went to Nantes, but then again, it wouldn't have been politically notable if there was.
    Apparently the Irish ambassadorial residence in Nantes was shut-down the day before Cork City played there.....!

Tell you what - we'll arrange a British government reception for your last game of the season at the Brandywell, with lots of British political representatives from Sinn Fein and the SDLP in attendnace. Then Rico can talk them through why their city was deserted by the Free State for the geographical equivalent of 30 pieces of silver in 1922.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why would the British representative in Paris look to host a reception for a team representing Ireland playing a team representing France.....?
    Maybe for the same reason that the British Broadcasting Corporation are showing the game live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Tell you what - we'll arrange a British government reception for your last game of the season at the Brandywell, with lots of British political representatives from Sinn Fein and the SDLP in attendnace. Then Rico can talk them through why their city was deserted by the Free State for the geographical equivalent of 30 pieces of silver in 1922.....

But Steve, I've already said I don't think politics should be associated with football. You've yet to convince me otherwise. If anything, you're strengthening my argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Maybe for the same reason that the British Broadcasting Corporation are showing the game live.
    So how does that explain Irish broadcaster TG4 broadcasting our game in the Irish Language across Ireland on Friday then....?

Holding my breath for the emergence of Ulster Scots TV. Beamed live from a shaky studio in downtown Ball-a-meeen-ahh with a framed photo of Ian Snr in the background......
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 25/09/2006 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    to get away from the political wumming, I think it's a great idea, and one that should be taken up by embassies all over Europe - when I lived in Norway I used to get invitations to a fair few functions at the embassy and would have much preferred to have a football team there rather than some of the stuff I could have sat through.
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    But Steve, I've already said I don't think politics should be associated with football. You've yet to convince me otherwise. If anything, you're strengthening my argument.
    Ambassadors are non-political ! Hence - not an issue.....

As for not mixing politics and football, remember that the next time we're all whinging about the lack of government grants for football in Ireland.....

Did you complain about the ROI'S visit to the Vatican before Itala 90 btw ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As for not mixing politics and football, remember that the next time we're all whinging about the lack of government grants for football in Ireland.....

Make sure your chairman takes full advantage of it then!

btw has the Brandy been handed over to DCFC yet? I remember seeing your plans for a new stadium on that site not so long ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsFans View Post
    Make sure your chairman takes full advantage of it then!

btw has the Brandy been handed over to DCFC yet? I remember seeing your plans for a new stadium on that site not so long ago.
    Not yet, and the whole situation is as clear as mud.

Seemingly it's the doggymen holding it up now. Have come up with no plans or funding of their own, yet want to be included in the new stadium plans. Wasters lost their opportunity once Lifford was built, so they can beat it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Actually, now that I think of it, watching football in your sittingroom is probably an example of mixing politics with football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eh

Are you paranoid or what?

But seriously, is the award your giving me made out of the big nordie chip missing out of your shoulder? And when can I collectit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Suitable gesture and about time(and I support the Harps).Now this time if there is not sufficent RTE coverage(build up, after match follow up) we should
    complain en masse.I could not beleive the lack of coverage after the game with Gretna(rte radio excepted).For me its an Eircom league issue not a Derry issue.And Eircom should throw their weight in as well(ad revenue).They pay the bucks, their losing potential publicity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast