Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supporters Clubs in Colleges and Universities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Supporters Clubs in Colleges and Universities

Lads, does anyone know of successful eL supporters clubs being run in colleges and universities in Ireland?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    I was chatting to a girl who supports Rovers and i think she is in DCU or UCD anyway she told me they tried to start one up but only 7 turned up.
    Ah but how much advertising did she do? how long did they run it for?
    Also .... seven is a good number to start with. You obviously keep trying to get more.

How did they go about it though? through a guild yeah? What did they have in their proposal?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The Derry lads up in Queens have a really successful one going.
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The UCD Soccer Supporters' Society effectively morphed in the UCD Supporters' Club as we found that the needs of our non-Student members wasn't being met by a student only society.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm going to Trinity in a few weeks - does anyone know of any general EL supporters clubs? (Would be too much to expect a Monaghan United Supporters club)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpskid View Post
    The Derry lads up in Queens have a really successful one going.
    Yeah, the QUBDCFCSC has been going for a few years and organise a bus to all the away games - that is every game... they even organised a bus for the Linfield match at Winsor Park in the Setanta Cup. They raise most of the money by winning the societies pub quiz every week. MariborKev was one of the organisors but keeps saying he is going travelling if Derry's european cup runs ends so hopefully he'll still be there for a while.

Red&White
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    I'm going to Trinity in a few weeks - does anyone know of any general EL supporters clubs? (Would be too much to expect a Monaghan United Supporters club)
    See PMs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Only about 600 in my college and about 150 is male but a few go to eL games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    I have no idea to be honest and did not really care either.
    Was it Sligo Rovers or Shamrock Rovers ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I go to Trinity and have only ever seen one person in the place (other than me) wearing an eL jersey - a Derry City one. He was wearing it the night of Ireland vs. Switzerland last year and some people thought he was supporting the Swiss!
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Red&White
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I go to Trinity and have only ever seen one person in the place (other than me) wearing an eL jersey - a Derry City one. He was wearing it the night of Ireland vs. Switzerland last year and some people thought he was supporting the Swiss!
    That was me!! Should probably have thought it through as regards the colour but it was coming up to the end of the title race and I was wearing the shirt around Dublin as much as possible.

Anyway, we're being joined by Leeza this year so there should be a Monaghan jersey around the place now!
    Last edited by Red&White; 10/09/2006 at 4:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    If we manage to stay top of the First Division I think my Dundalk jersies willl be getting a regular rotation back up in Dublin. I might even go for a wee walk around Tallaght to annoy some Rovers fans. Although doing the same in Drogheda once nearly got me killed.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In my 4 years in Maynooth I've only ever come across one Rovers fan, A Longford fan and one of my lecturers was a Drogheda fan. The eircom league would probably be mistaken for some sort of telephone exchange by many of the students out there

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    There were quite a few eL fans at Maynooth when I was there, but no societies.

I remember the day we did the last exam of our finals and the physics department staff went for a drink with us. I was talking to the head of department when a drunk Bohs fan walked in and shouted 'Oi Harps, S**TE!' at the top of his voice and then left again. I was pretty embarrassed as everyone in the place were in a stunned silence, but the professor just raises his eyebrows and ask 'Does that happen to you often?'
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    A face,

As mentioned, we run the Queens University Belfast Derry City Supporters Club.

We have around 60 members, with about forty of those students.

We run buses to nearly every game(as living in Belfast, a home game is an away game).
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    A face,

Its obviously a well established club, been running for a few years now. Just wondering though .... was there any hassle geting it started first day though, were the societies committee reluctant to allow an domestic club start up. The reason i say that is that in the past there have been a few clubs fobbed off because they were ManU or Liverpool etc.

IMO ever eL club should be active in their local uni or institue, its probably the most obvious place to set one up but there doesn't seem to be alot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Its obviously a well established club, been running for a few years now. Just wondering though .... was there any hassle geting it started first day though, were the societies committee reluctant to allow an domestic club start up. The reason i say that is that in the past there have been a few clubs fobbed off because they were ManU or Liverpool etc.

IMO ever eL club should be active in their local uni or institue, its probably the most obvious place to set one up but there doesn't seem to be alot of them.
    A face, I remember the year before last someone trying to start a Cork City SC in UCC here. He wasn't successful - I understand that the reason was that the Soccer Club was already established and it would be possible to set up Liverpool SC and MUFC supporters clubs (Mancs not Mons). On reflection I think the approach to take was to set up a National League Supporters Society. There are horse racing societies, science fiction society, poker society etc - all minority interests. The eL is a minority interest. Also, by taking it away from the club element it broadens potential membership.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    A face,

We have around 60 members, with about forty of those students.

We run buses to nearly every game(as living in Belfast, a home game is an away game).

yes they even once kidnapped me, force fed me alcohol, made me listen to felix healy singing and assaulted me with a blow up sheep
    Finn Harps Belfast Supporters

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    During my time in UCD there were always plenty about, I suppose it just takes someone with the time and commitment to make the thing appeal to as many as possible. The Soccer Society did a job, but never really intended on being an NLSA-type group, which there probably is a niche for, ar at least there was.
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    During my time in UCD there were always plenty about, I suppose it just takes someone with the time and commitment to make the thing appeal to as many as possible. The Soccer Society did a job, but never really intended on being an NLSA-type group, which there probably is a niche for, ar at least there was.
    UCD is a special case though. You could have a general supporters' club in the other colleges but UCD's not going to provide facilities for our rivals' supporters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast