Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Excellent

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think he should go, I don't rate Strachan as a manager. The SPL is a two horse race, with the squad Celtic have they should always been in with at least a 50-50 chance of winning it. Last season Rangers imploded, and while you have to take your hats off to Celtic for winning those matches at the end, they were in a really dicey spot from around March (it looked like Rangers had the SPL in the bag). In Europe Strachan has not impressed me, this season has been a total disaster, Aalborg are a weak side and Celtic should have got at least 4 points of them, 2nd place was a realistic target for Celtic, but a lack of concentration and poor tactics cost them against Man Utd (home) and the two Aalborg games.

O'Neil was a much better manager, when you look at the matches against Liverpool, Boavista, Blackburn, Stuttgart... these are all quality teams. Even against Porto in the final Celtic were unlucky, with Bobo Balde making a tired error. You could never imagine a Strachan team doing this well and the squads are not that different from then and now.

Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I've heard through friends that he is off too although more likely to a premiership club. Middlesboro as a replacement for Downing (if he goes to Tottenham) is one possibility.
    I hope not... you wouldn't wish that on your own worst enemy. And Downing is one of the most over-hyped players in the world. As John Gregory said, if he was right footed he'd be a league 1 player.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    These young lads deserve great credit for their decision to play for Ireland and while this does not absolve them from critism from Irish football fans it should be remembered that the lads deserve some backup against the sectarian sections of Scottish " society"

It is very surprising to me how come the scottish nation does not question itself over the situation it finds itself over these players.
    Sadly some parts of Scotland are still highly sectarian in this respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post

I hope not... you wouldn't wish that on your own worst enemy. And Downing is one of the most over-hyped players in the world. As John Gregory said, if he was right footed he'd be a league 1 player.

I think it is best for McGeady to move at this stage. I'd hope he would do better than Middlesboro too.

I would normally back the Irish player too but if even half the things he is rumoured to have said to Strachan are true then he has to go. I just hope he isn't left to rot in the reserves.

Yesterday's News of the screws story re partying after his dressingroom showdown with Strachan won't help either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    With that reckoning, that would leave Pat McCourt in the never even been mediocre yet, hardly even got close enough to have a whiff of being mediocre.
    Given McCourt has already declared for Northern Ireland I don't really see what relevance this is to anything, other than a pretty poor effort at a troll?

But in answer to it, I'd agree, and I'd be very surprised if McCourt succeeds anymore this time than he did his previous time across the water.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I would normally back the Irish player too but if even half the things he is rumoured to have said to Strachan are true then he has to go. I just hope he isn't left to rot in the reserves.
    The most repeated story from credible sources is that he called Strachan an asshóle a number of times, for which McGeady has apologised in some form
    But if you read the NOTW and are exposed to like minded "sources", the sky is the limit with rumours.

Yesterday's News of the screws story re partying after his dressingroom showdown with Strachan won't help either
    Seriously? if the story had a grain of truth, then maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    The most repeated story from credible sources is that he called Strachan an asshóle a number of times, for which McGeady has apologised in some form
    But if you read the NOTW and are exposed to like minded "sources", the sky is the limit with rumours.

Seriously? if the story had a grain of truth, then maybe.
    While it may not be the most reliable of sources the facts it quoted such as the Hotel name, team-mate police being called do not help.

While the paper is known to exaggerate I think it's safe to assume that he did leave the dessingroom head to Edinburgh and have a night on the town, stay in the named Hotel and was involved incidents that required police intervention. The fact that no charges are being brought would suggest it was a minor matter but still it does not reflect well on the player.

At best the term "f$%king ar$€hole" was used repeatedly. Then they start going off and getting more and more lurid.

Do you have a source for the apology? My understanding is that he is appealing the ban. See BBC Scotland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7787793.stm

Yesterday's Herald (Scottish not ours) also implies that there hasn't been one

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/hea...oe_McGeady.php

The main point is that from our perspective he is better off out of the club rather than rotting in the reserves.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    While it may not be the most reliable of sources the facts it quoted such as the Hotel name, team-mate police being called do not help.

While the paper is known to exaggerate I think it's safe to assume that he did leave the dessingroom head to Edinburgh and have a night on the town, stay in the named Hotel and was involved incidents that required police intervention.
    It is safe to assume that if you believe the paper. The report is denied.

The fact that no charges are being brought would suggest it was a minor matter but still it does not reflect well on the player.
    What was a minor matter? how about no charges because there was nothing to charge?

Do you have a source for the apology?
    says sorry

My understanding is that he is appealing the ban. See BBC Scotland
    Does not mean he can't say sorry but appeal the harshness of a suspension.
    Anyway that's an old source. The fact that he had thought he had grounds for appealing, considering that there were plenty of witnesses, would suggest that the language used was nothing too far beyond the ordinary (but disrespectful).

The main point is that from our perspective he is better off out of the club rather than rotting in the reserves
    I think it is better that McGeady takes his punishment, gets back his place and can decide whats on offer in the Summer.
    His choices would be greater.
    He is not leaving under a cloud.
    He would have demonstrated that he is capable of taking his discipline and
    buckling down. Better for the club too.
    As long as Strachan is mature enough to manage the player.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Given McCourt has already declared for Northern Ireland I don't really see what relevance this is to anything, other than a pretty poor effort at a troll?

But in answer to it, I'd agree, and I'd be very surprised if McCourt succeeds anymore this time than he did his previous time across the water.
    Troll? that sounds intolerant and missing the point by a country mile.

McCourt was a Derry City player who has gone to Celtic, you are a Derry City fan that's the connection, you might be familiar with McCourt's skill.
    You might even have been appreciative of McCourt.
    Yet would you label him worse than mediocre? He can't get near the Celtic first team.
    McGeady has enough appreciation from his club fans & manager and his international manager that hype can not sustain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    It is safe to assume that if you believe the paper. The report is denied.

What was a minor matter? how about no charges because there was nothing to charge?

says sorry

Does not mean he can't say sorry but appeal the harshness of a suspension.
    Anyway that's an old source. The fact that he had thought he had grounds for appealing, considering that there were plenty of witnesses, would suggest that the language used was nothing too far beyond the ordinary (but disrespectful).

I think it is better that McGeady takes his punishment, gets back his place and can decide whats on offer in the Summer.
    His choices would be greater.
    He is not leaving under a cloud.
    He would have demonstrated that he is capable of taking his discipline and
    buckling down. Better for the club too.
    As long as Strachan is mature enough to manage the player.

The "mail understands" doesn't mean he apologised. No quotes from him or his agent as opposed to the other links stating he was appealing. A public apology or confirming in public that he has apologised would be the first step to clearing this up.

What exactly is being denied about the night in Edinburgh? Was he at home tucked up in bed in Glasgow? Did he stay in the hotel? Was he out that night in Edinburgh? Were the police called to the hotel in the early hours?

It is better for Ireland that hye is playing regularly at the highest level possible. He has had a poor season after being player of the eyar last season. I suspect last week was the culmination of a few things.

I would have hoped he'd have moved on to a much bigger club than Celtic and possibly one of the top 4 or 5 in the premiership or the continent.

I'm not sure what Strachan is supposed to have done wrong here. I appreciate there is an element of the support that don't like him for being not "Celtic minded" and will turn on him for everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Unless Celtic players fancy staying in 7 nights a week the only option is a quiet meal in Glasgow or a Saturday night out in Edinburgh. It sounds like the police call was a hoax.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokesman said: “We received a call saying that a hotel room booked by Aiden McGeady had been badly damaged. However, when officers arrived there didn’t appear to be any damage and no action has been taken.”

What I do find interesting is that he was out with Ben Hutchinson. Hutchinson has been excellent for the reserves and is the top scorer in the league by far. Strachan still won't give him a chance though and publicly critisised him after a substitute appearance against Man Utd saying he looked lost.

He certainly has his favourites which I find strange considering his relationship with Ferguson who Strachan admits he stuck his finger up at after scoring for Aberdeen once after a half time row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    There will always be battles, disagreements & personality clashes within any team set-up and Strachan has had his fair share of those over the last three years at Celtic, for example when he got rid of the nucleus of the O’Neill team, Chris Sutton, Petrov, Alan Thompson etc….

But the McGeady episode seems different to me, it feels personal rather than team related. Sutton, Thompson etc.. were all senior, mature players who had a strong influence within the dressing room and Strachan felt he had to make changes to take control of the dressing room and mould his own team, which is perfectly understandable.

I just don’t get why he seems to have a real dislike for the young player. Even last season, when McGeady had a terrific year and won almost every player of the year award available in Scotland, Strachan was always lukewarm in his praise for McGeady, and while he certainly recognised his ability, he was never animated in his conversations regarding his player.

Although, he was open enough in a BBC interview, prior to his appointment as Celtic boss, when he called McGeady a “traitor” and said he should be “hung, drawn and quartered” over his decision to represent Ireland rather than Scotland.

The poor McGeady/Strachan relationship has bubbled away over the last three years and it it’s said that Tommy Burns was the ‘referee’ who stopped it boiling over during that time and perhaps the sad passing of Tommy Burns has simply allowed Strachan the chance to force McGeady’s hand. Although perhaps it is only now that Strachan feels he has enough control to engineer the end of McGeady’s time at Celtic Park.

McGeady was obviously wrong to shout abuse at the manager after the Hearts game, even if he did feel he was being unfairly singled out (as was the case earlier in the season, when Strachan banned him from the room during the post match talk after the Rangers defeat).

To be honest, I don’t really care if Celtic win,lose or draw every week and I am more concerned that Irish players are playing regularly, progressing and thus improving our chances on the international stage, and for McGeady, just like Darren O’Dea, their international prospects would be better served, if they are far away from Parkhead.

I don’t think McGeady will ever be a superstar, but at 22 and with a wealth of experience behind him, the right team and manager could mould him into a very important player for Ireland in the future.
    Last edited by co. down green; 22/12/2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    Agree with you there co. down green. Strachan using terms like 'traitor' and 'hung, drawn and quartered' in relation to McGeady's decision to play for us were never going to be helpful in fostering a sound relationship between the two. He made the comments on 'football focus' and even if they were said in some jest, they probably did betray his true feelings on the subject - rightly or wrongly.

Surely Aiden will now move in January. Hopefully to a big club in one of Europe's top leagues. I wish him the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm not sure what Strachan is supposed to have done wrong here. I appreciate there is an element of the support that don't like him for being not "Celtic minded" and will turn on him for everything.
    McGeady feels Strachan doesn't like him and blames him for when the team doesn't perform as a whole. When they lost to Rangers earlier in the season Strachan banned McGeady from attending a team meeting afterwards. The only player he singled out for such treatment despite numerous other Celtic players playing far worse on the day. Plus Strachan has always been incredibly reluctant to issue any praise to McGeady even while winning player of the year last season in Scotland. Preferring to big up far less talented players in the squad.

Strachan according to "sources" in the media only gets on McGeady's case as he wants him to fulfill his potential as he believes he's the most naturally talented player at the club.

Basically they don't get on. McGeady is probably someone who needs the arm over the shoulder and a word in the ear a la Tommy Burns who was his mentor. He just won't get that from Strachan.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 23/12/2008 at 3:55 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    McGeady feels Strachan doesn't like him and blames him for when the team doesn't perform as a whole. When they lost to Rangers earlier in the season Strachan banned McGeady from attending a team meeting afterwards. The only player he singled out for such treatment despite numerous other Celtic players playing far worse on the day. Plus Strachan has always been incredibly reluctant to issue any praise to McGeady even while winning player of the year last season in Scotland. Preferring to big up far less talented players in the squad.

Strachan according to "sources" in the media only gets on McGeady's case as he wants him to fulfill his potential as he believes he's the most naturally talented player at the club.

Basically they don't get on. McGeady is probably someone who needs the arm over the shoulder and a word in the ear a la Tommy Burns who was his mentor. He just won't get that from Strachan.
    Maybe its a case of two people that dont get on and if that is the case one of them will have to leave and that is normally the player but not always.

At 22 years old and with a lot of senior games played Aiden probably should not need so much of the hand over the shoulder.

The time is right for Aiden to go and wouldn't it be great if M O'Neill took him to Aston Villa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    From reading the above I'm more convinced than ever that he needs to move to January.

We need Aiden palying regularly and happy with his lot.

He has a lot of talent. He may not be the next Ronaldo but can be a key player for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Troll? that sounds intolerant and missing the point by a country mile.

McCourt was a Derry City player who has gone to Celtic, you are a Derry City fan that's the connection, you might be familiar with McCourt's skill.
    You might even have been appreciative of McCourt.
    Yet would you label him worse than mediocre? He can't get near the Celtic first team.
    Still nothing to do with the Ireland thread...

FYI McCourt has been injured for most of the time since he left Derry. Indeed, he was injured a lot whilst at Derry. Regardless of whether or not he's able enough, he's nowhere near robust enough to survive at the top level.

Again, completely OTT in relation to McGeady, who has failed to live up to expectations in the Ireland jersey, which is really only what I care about.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Again, completely OTT in relation to McGeady, who has failed to live up to expectations in the Ireland jersey, which is really only what I care about.
    It's not about the ability of McCourt or whether he was injured or not.
    I asked you would you regard him as worse than mediocre if he failed to nail down a place in the club team.
    Your assessment of McGeady was OTT, that's what I care about.

If there is hype around McGeady, it has no relevance to his real ability.
    He has made enough progress to be the club POTY last season and is the current first choice for his national team manager.
    Hype has nothing to do with what he has achieved so far. He has delivered on his evident potential, according to Trap and has plenty of room to improve.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Maybe its a case of two people that dont get on and if that is the case one of them will have to leave and that is normally the player but not always.

At 22 years old and with a lot of senior games played Aiden probably should not need so much of the hand over the shoulder.

The time is right for Aiden to go and wouldn't it be great if M O'Neill took him to Aston Villa.
    Don't think he'd start with Villa. They have Milner and Young on the wings who are in great form. He'd be back up to the two of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Don't think he'd start with Villa. They have Milner and Young on the wings who are in great form. He'd be back up to the two of them
    Whatever about Young he is more talented than Milner.