Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Oh sweet mary Mother of God
    Pathetic. I've called your bluff and now that's the best you can resort to !! Any other Irish player you want to disrespect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Pathetic. I've called your bluff and now that's the best you can resort to !! Any other Irish player you want to disrespect?
    you think he was sent off by the referee because he is an Irish international playing for Celtic
    tell me , yes or no, is that what you believe
    Do you Scram think Aidan McGeady was dismissed by the ref because he is an Irish Celtic player............and not a Rangers Scottish player

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Nobody cares about Scottish football, it's crap compared to the EPL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Agreed 100%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hughes was defending him after the game.

"I'm the opposition manager, I want to see him doing his stuff and see if my boys can handle him."

Mowbray said he feels McGeady probably tired after running 50 yards and beating a couple of tackles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Just watched the game there.

Pretty clear dive and I've got no problem with the sending off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I wouldn't agree. He certainly wasn't forced to the ground from contact but he didn't cheat. He was about to have his feet taken from under him. There's no doubt about that. He jumped to the ground before the contact. Now he didn't jump to the ground to gain an advantage. He was at the half way line. He just instinctively got out of the way of the challenge.

The booking is there for conning the ref, cheating, which McGeady certainly wasn't trying to do imo.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Teletext says it was harsh. In general I think even if there was no contact it doesn't automatically mean it's a dive - and more often than not I think it should be a foul. Often you're dodging the contact - that's why you go down.
    I saw the game, and I thought at the time, as I still do, that it was a dive.

I can see what you are saying Stuttgart88, but if you makes rules like that, what more can a defender do? A defender starts to make a tackle, then realises he won't get the ball, and pulls out of it (completely or partly)- and might still have a foul given against him? What more can a defender do?

You're going to get into questions of whether a player was simply avoiding a tackle or trying to win a free kick, and that is impossible to judge.
    Last edited by osarusan; 02/09/2009 at 9:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I can see what you are saying Stuttgart88, but if you makes rules like that, what more can a defender do? A defender starts to make a tackle, then realises he won't get the ball, and pulls out of it (completely or partly)- and might still have a foul given against him? What more can a defender do?
    In this case I wouldn't have given a foul. I'd give a Hibs throw. But there's no doubt if McGeady didn't go to ground he was about to have his feet taken from under him. So it's only natural for McGeady to avoid the challenge and possible injury, we don't even decide that it's just instinct. But I definitely wouldn't give a foul against Hibs.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    But there's no doubt if McGeady didn't go to ground he was about to have his feet taken from under him. So it's only natural for McGeady to avoid the challenge and possible injury, we don't even decide that it's just instinct.
    It is a difficult one, because saying there must be contact means that a player must run the risk of getting injured. But saying there need not be contact makes a defender's job incredibly difficult.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    From a tacklers perspective Paul Hanlon

"I saw McGeady run at me at a fair pace and thought about tackling him but he took a heavy touch and I managed to get my body out of the way.
    "Obviously he was running at a decent speed and maybe lost his footing. But the referee saw it as a dive and that's a booking, so he had to go.
    "I felt I didn't touch him. I tried my best to keep my body out of the way and it was then up to the ref to decide. If he saw it as a dive then it's a sending off.
    "If I'd been booked for that I'd have been gutted but the ref's got a hard job to do when a game is being played at 100 miles an hour.
    "However, I felt he made the right decision at the time even though I'd forgotten about McGeady's yellow card in the first half.
    "He's not a cheat. He was running at a fair pace, took that heavy touch and I just managed to get my body out of the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    I reckon McGeady anticipated the tackle, and avoided it to not get completely creamed, but Hanlon had already pulled out of it so no contact was made.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    He dived IMO. McGeady would have kicked up one hell of a fuss if it wasn't. Eboue reacted in the same manner after he tried to con the ref Saturday evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    and who cares about the EPL? over-hyped playboy nonsense, with one or two exceptions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    He dived IMO. McGeady would have kicked up one hell of a fuss if it wasn't. Eboue reacted in the same manner after he tried to con the ref Saturday evening.
    An instinctive dive then. McGeady would be completely anti-diving and would never even stay on the ground too long when fouled. As long as McGeady isn't seen as a cheat that's all I really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    and who cares about the EPL? over-hyped playboy nonsense, with one or two exceptions
    I was hoping someone wouldn't bite...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    mcgeady is no cheat - im a very happy man to see him wearing the green jersey.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    mcgeady is no cheat - im a very happy man to see him wearing the green jersey.
    Absolutely, and screw the Anti-Celt prejudiced begrudgers.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Theres no doubt McGeady went to ground too easily, something which Duffer has done for years.But I think thats the first time Ive ever seen anyone claiming he dived. There was a hell of alot of difference between that and Eduardo, who bent his right knee in such a way that it made it look to the referee that his leg was clipped by the keeper, that in my opinion is blatent cheating.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I saw the game, and I thought at the time, as I still do, that it was a dive.

You're going to get into questions of whether a player was simply avoiding a tackle or trying to win a free kick, and that is impossible to judge.
    I'm also referring referring to when a player starts to make a tackle - a sliding tackle - and continues to make it yet still misses the ball, but causing the attacking player to lose control or dive to avoid the contact. That's a 100% foul in my opinion. Go to ground, miss the ball and the ref is entitled to give a free all the time.

Remember Duff is Suwon? Puyol (?) slid in and missed the ball, going straight through where duff was running. Duff was "smart" and made sure that there was contact but even without that it was a foul. The imperative is on a slide tackler to win the ball cleanly.

Lee dixon was on TV being asked about spurs' "foul" on Liverpool that would have earneda second penalty. Adrian Chiles asked when is it a foul or when is it a shoulder charge. Dixon's response was 2ah sure we all know you're not allowed to tackle anymore". ******. you're not allowed to tackle the way the english crowds love, but you are allowed to tackle. euro 2008 was a joy because there were no tackles from behind, only players using technique in both attack and defence. There was a noticable lack of aggression in tackling in that tournament.

Arsenal's new guy Vermaelen madea tackle - textbook tackle - on an Everton player. Everton guy tried to go around him, Vermealen stood up, stuick out a leg, got his foot to the ball, Everton guy fell over the ball, Vermaelen walked away in control of the ball. Beautiful. Also very rare sadly.

Tackling is a skill too, one that's not well taught around here, but one that UEFA's international refereees seem to appreciate in tournament finals and are encouraged to enfore according to UEFA rules.

Razor, Duff does go down easily but more often than not it's to make sure a free is awarded after a foul has taken place. Sure he could stay up, but then he risks not earning a free he has rightly won.

Rant over

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    "Adrian Chiles asked when is it a foul or when is it a shoulder charge"

That one has mystified me for decades.