Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Irish Fans United

Irish Fans United Responds to
    Government Listing of Games
    And Announces Public Meeting

"First the Government was shocked to discover that its own law existed. Now the sports bodies are shocked to discover that the law is being enforced."

Details Announced at Press Conference
    Thursday 18 July 2002 at 11 a.m.
    Press Room, Buswells Hotel,
    Molesworth Street, Dublin

Who are Irish Fans United?

We are a new alliance of individuals and groups representing Irish football fans. We include supporters of Ireland, Bohs, Shamrock Rovers, Finn Harps and other Irish clubs.

Our immediate aim is to reverse the Sky deal. Our long-term aim is to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. The voice of the fans must from now on be a formal part of the decision-making process in Irish football.

We will be building a structured entity that promotes Irish football at domestic and national level, and that represents, and is accountable to, all Irish football fans.

Today we are announcing:

(a) Our response to the Government Listing, including the need to list the FAI Cup Final and the 6 steps needed for the law to take effect.

(b) An Irish Fans United delegation to this Saturday's FAI AGM in City West Hotel.

(c) A public meeting next Monday at 8 p.m. in the City of Dublin Workingman’s Club, Wellington Quay, Dublin (beside the Clarence Hotel).

Speakers at today's conference:

(1) Michael Nugent, Chairperson, Irish Fans United. Writer and Bohs fan. Author of the Dear John Letters and co-founder of Peace Train and New Consensus.
    (2) Roddy Flynn, Football Fan & Lecturer in Irish and European Media Policy, Dublin City University.
    Michael and Roddy have written and commentated extensively on this issue in the past week, including on radio and television news.
    (3) Vincent Lynam, Treasurer, Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Club.
    (4) Ken McCue, Founder Member of Football Against Racism.
    (5) Carolyn Compelli, Irish Football Fan and taxpayer.

-----------------------------------------

Points Made by Michael Nugent

1. Of course the sports bodies are unhappy. The whole point of this law is to protect us, the fans, from the greed of the sporting bodies. The law recognises, in effect, that major national sporting events are owned by the nation, not just the organisers. It assumes that the organisers will not be able to resist the temptation to sell out our rights to Sky or other pay -television operators, and it prevents them from doing so.

2. There are two deals involved. We have no problem with the FAI/TV3 deal. Our problem is with the FAI/Sky deal.

3. It is important that the domestic game is protected. The FAI Cup final should be listed, the FAI should carry out the development plan launched last year, and people who watch Irish internationals should consider watching domestic league football as well.

4. Six months ago the FAI launched a major Government-funded development strategy “One Game, One Association”. Its stated principal aim was to maximise the number of people involved in Irish football. It made clear that “participation should be understood to have a broad definition, which includes supporters”. To do this, the FAI committed in writing to “make key policy decisions through (its formal structures) and through consultation with participants”; to provide “services to participants which are accessible in terms of their location, price and time of availability”; and to “ensure that Irish football is enjoyable, ethical and inclusive.”

5. The FAI is wrong to imply that this deal makes a major difference to the funding of Irish football. In the next three years, the Irish Government alone will give the FAI ten times as much as Sky would have: 57m euro compared to 5.6m euro. Add in gate receipts, merchandising and foreign broadcast rights, and the Sky deal would have added less than 4% to the FAI’s projected income. The FAI is now pretending that the Sky deal was needed to pay for a list of major developments that they had already announced last December would be happening because of the Government’s 57m.

-------------------------------------------

Points Made by Roddy Flynn

1. Although the draft list is a start, it’s a tiny step in terms of the procedures that must be completed to see the list take legal effect. This may be too little too late. We are curious to know why we have to wait until the end of August for a final list given that consultations with at least some of the relevant sporting bodies have been going for years.

2. It can’t be stressed enough how important it is for the government move ahead as speedily as possible. There are six steps to go through before any list is copperfastened. The steps are:

A government notice in at least one national newspaper to designate certain sports.
    A period for members of the public to make submission on the proposed list.
    The drawing up of a “final” list.
    Submission of the list to the EU Commission
    Submission by the EU Commission of the list to their “contact committee” (made up of representatives from the other member states) to ensure that the list conforms to other aspects of European Union policy.
    Publication of the final approved list in the Official Journal of the European Communities.

3. Speed is also imperative given the possibility that the current rights holders (BSkyB) may seek to challenge any retrospective designation in the courts. Although our advice is that such an action is unlikely to be successful it may delay the process whereby free-to-air broadcasters are able to screen these matches. In a similar case relating to a Danish subscription broadcaster which acquired such rights, 3 of 5 games acquired had been played by the time a court decision finally determined that all of the games should be made available on a free-to air basis.

-------------------------------------------

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

people who watch Irish internationals should consider watching domestic league football as well.
    *LMAO*

Neil
    I'm an Irish fan and I'm all for the Sky deal.

Irish Fans United?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sure most "irish fans" will think that some sort of Manchester UNITED supporters club.

Neil

Re: Irish Fans United

Originally posted by Michael Nugent
    We include supporters of Ireland, Bohs, Shamrock Rovers, Finn Harps............... and other Irish clubs.
    And "other Irish clubs" like Celtic, Liverpool and Leeds United...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Irish Fans United

Originally posted by Neil
    And "other Irish clubs" like Celtic, Liverpool and Leeds United...
    LOL Isn't it horrible that we've become so cynical- it's even worse that our cynicism is well-founded.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What really is the definition of an irish football supporter or participant?

Ok, participant i suppose is someone who plays for a club or coaches a club from u-8's to senior level?

If i sit on my counch 'n watch the Irealnd matches on tv am i a supporter? If i'm deeply interested in football & travel abroad to watchg it am i an irish supporter? Should either type of person have a say in Irish football?

I'd watch the odd GAA game on tv & think been to 1 inter county match in my life - am I a GAA supporter? do i get a right to tell/lobby the GAA what to do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Neil
    I'm an Irish fan and I'm all for the Sky deal.

Irish Fans United?
    Same here!
    Irish fans UNITED- my arse!