Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limerick to get Hogan Park lease

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Limerick to get Hogan Park lease

Following a meeting in Limerick today, Fr Joe Young has agreed to assign the lease on Hogan Park, Limerick to the Football Association of Ireland.

Further details will emerge once solicitors for both sides have met on the matter.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    The FAI? Should we take this as a sign that they want Premier Division football in Limerick next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Will they buy them Georgie as well?
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Fair play to the FAI*

*I feel dirty now...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    It definitely is a vote of confidence alright. Its still 25 years yeah ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Yep after his amazing U turn during the week (when he withdrew the offer of a lease to Limerick FC) he now offers one to the FAI. The question is if Limerick will never own this ground can they draw down grants? How can they get investment if they dont have assets ie a ground of their own? at least we have a place to play but i just think that Fr Scum is trying to play god again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    The question is if Limerick will never own this ground can they draw down grants?
    Not a problem. Most clubs don't. FAI have owned loads of grounds at various times
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    Yep after his amazing U turn during the week (when he withdrew the offer of a lease to Limerick FC) he now offers one to the FAI. The question is if Limerick will never own this ground can they draw down grants? How can they get investment if they dont have assets ie a ground of their own? at least we have a place to play but i just think that Fr Scum is trying to play god again.
    If true this is the absolutely best outcome for our club. If the FAI have the lng-term lease we won't be held to ransom by former club directors anymore (though we will have to deal with the FAI ). Also, we can draw down grants to develop the ground - in fact the FAI will be funding their own ground - best of all worlds. There is enormous goodwill towards the club in the FAI and they benefit from a strong senior club in the region.

All this may come too late to get us in next season but who knows.

The only problem at this stage is the volatile nature of the person granting the lease - I wouldn't believe his radio. So all champagne should be kept on ice until the official announcement.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well done so far, and hope you clinch it.
    Any word yet on the mystery rival?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah but what happens in 25 years time? Considering you've been there for 25 years already and it is still a kip IMO you would be better off going with Drew's idea the other day and develop somewhere else.

I know I've asked this before but why is the Markets Field off limits? Have Bord na gCon been approached?

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

money

The FAI wont put money into a ground that eventually will belong to
    someone else. This just gives you time to find somewhere else

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Yeah but what happens in 25 years time? Considering you've been there for 25 years already and it is still a kip IMO you would be better off going with Drew's idea the other day and develop somewhere else.

I know I've asked this before but why is the Markets Field off limits? Have Bord na gCon been approached?

KOH
    Bord na gCon are in the process of developign a new stadium just outside the city. AFAIK they need the proceeds from the sale of MF to fund it. These proceeds depend on building houses/apartments on the site. I think the planning process is holding it up.

We haven't been in Rathbane for 25 years - we first moved there 23 years ago and the owners of the club at the time (Pat Grace also sponsored the league) made fantastic promises about developing a ground. There was a city wide raffle that was well supported but the funds raised never found their way into the ground or club (which is the root of much of bad feeling towards the club in the city since). We left Rathbane 6 years ago and have played in Pike, Jackman and now the last two seasons back to Rathbane under the new administration. In all that time there hasn't been an opportunity to develop the ground because of problems with ownership etc.

So to say that the ground won't be developed is unfair. Also, Drew's idea was really just flying a kite to show that the club had alternatives to Hogan Park - it's not really a runner because the club has no money to buy a site. Just like Rovers didn't and don't.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    The only problem at this stage is the volatile nature of the person granting the lease - I wouldn't believe his radio. So all champagne should be kept on ice until the official announcement.
    Exactly, he's done more U turns than Michael Schumacher. Agree with all of what you said and I said the same to Gael, could turn out to be the best deal of all cos maybe we won't have to invest all the dosh to develop it.

Just a question. If it's a 25yr lease and it's with the FAI, what happens in 25yrs time if say Joe Young is no longer with us? It's quite plausible as Joe Young isn't, err, young and 25 years down the line is a long long way off. I don't think the other trustee Peter Hogan in America is a young man either. What would happen then. Just asking cos for some reason I feel uneasy about a 25yr lease. It just doesn't seem long enough for me and can't help but get the feeling that we'll face the same crap again in 25 years time...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bord na gCon are in the process of developign a new stadium just outside the city. AFAIK they need the proceeds from the sale of MF to fund it. These proceeds depend on building houses/apartments on the site. I think the planning process is holding it up.

We haven't been in Rathbane for 25 years - we first moved there 23 years ago and the owners of the club at the time (Pat Grace also sponsored the league) made fantastic promises about developing a ground. There was a city wide raffle that was well supported but the funds raised never found their way into the ground or club (which is the root of much of bad feeling towards the club in the city since). We left Rathbane 6 years ago and have played in Pike, Jackman and now the last two seasons back to Rathbane under the new administration. In all that time there hasn't been an opportunity to develop the ground because of problems with ownership etc.

So to say that the ground won't be developed is unfair. Also, Drew's idea was really just flying a kite to show that the club had alternatives to Hogan Park - it's not really a runner because the club has no money to buy a site. Just like Rovers didn't and don't.
    Thanks for update re MF.

I remember well the proposed 50,000 seater stadium at rathbane from the Soccer Magazine aons ago.

I didnt say the ground wont be developed but it is in a very bad area and anything that could be constructed could as easily be wrecked by the locals. Remember the clubhouse that got burned?

If Bord na gCon are in the process of building a new stadium would it not be prudent to check out if they would need tenants as its more than likely that their stadium will be up and running before anything is done at rathbane.

Lastly as another limerick fan asks as well above what happens in 25 years time at rathbane??

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    In the meantime we're given absolutely no support from the FAI re Tallaght just cause they don't want to upset the GAA. A totally self indulgent tosser is Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, a 25 year lease would grant an automatic right to renew - any lease longer than 5 years does (which is why the current lease is not more than than 5 years) - so as long as the FAI want to renew the lease they can. There may be rent reviews but the right to renew the lease is there under Irish land law.

And the FAI hold the lease - so a situation cannot arise where a private company could hold subsequent club directors over a barrel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy
    In the meantime we're given absolutely no support from the FAI re Tallaght just cause they don't want to upset the GAA. A totally self indulgent tosser is Delaney
    The FAI have put on record that they do not favour more stadiums in Dublin and they would support their development to a greater extent if there were ground shares. I think this is sensible. With limited resources it makes no sense to develop grounds close to each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The FAI have put on record that they do not favour more stadiums in Dublin and they would support their development to a greater extent if there were ground shares. I think this is sensible. With limited resources it makes no sense to develop grounds close to each other.
    thats not the point and you know it. the FAI have (correctly imo) stood up on behalf of limerick and helped secure your future.

why dont they do the same for us?

tallaght is being blocked by a legal challenge from the GAA, not a lack of resources.

thats not the point, if you are happy with this, i am happy for you. but it sounds like this priest has to go. is the only reason he got the lease because he is a priest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    thats not the point, if you are happy with this, i am happy for you. but it sounds like this priest has to go. is the only reason he got the lease because he is a priest?
    I agree the FAI should support Rovers getting into Tallaght. I suppose they also have to think of the bigger political picture and not using up politival capital unnecessarily. It seems like Tallaght will happen for your without the FAI being bolshie.

He is the trustee because he knows the landlord Peter Hogan who is a millionaire ex-pat who wanted to help the community. Joe was our chairman for a while . He stepped in when we were in trouble a while ago and saw it as a vehicle for helping young lads from Southill - he brought in a few to play for Limerick based on their address rather than ability.

He got Hogan to buy the ground and he put his son and Joe as trustees with Joe as the deciding vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree the FAI should support Rovers getting into Tallaght. I suppose they also have to think of the bigger political picture and not using up politival capital unnecessarily. It seems like Tallaght will happen for your without the FAI being bolshie.

He is the trustee because he knows the landlord Peter Hogan who is a millionaire ex-pat who wanted to help the community. Joe was our chairman for a while . He stepped in when we were in trouble a while ago and saw it as a vehicle for helping young lads from Southill - he brought in a few to play for Limerick based on their address rather than ability.

He got Hogan to buy the ground and he put his son and Joe as trustees with Joe as the deciding vote.
    thats very diplomatic. but is he part of the problem or part of the solution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast