Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiohead - In Rainbows - new album online...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Radiohead - In Rainbows - new album online...

Very interesting news. Dodgy enough title, but wondering is this the way music is going to sell now. The Charlatans are releasing their new single in this way and Ash have already stopped making albums and only releasing online singles. What does everyone think? Are albums going to die out altogether? Cant wait for the album...

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yep, sorry to say I think the album is dying. 'Record' shops as we know/knew them are disappearing as quickly as petrol stations. Would be interested to know how much of the album sales -as opposed to downloads- take place online now anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm not sure is this a sign of the death of albums, or the (start of the) death of record labels. A band makes pittance on the sale of an album. The likes of the Charlatans would sooner give away the album, then tour on the back of it, where they can really cash in.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    I'm not sure is this a sign of the death of albums, or the (start of the) death of record labels. A band makes pittance on the sale of an album. The likes of the Charlatans would sooner give away the album, then tour on the back of it, where they can really cash in.
    See where you're coming from but not sure I agree. Maybe for a band of The Charlatans profile and close on two decades of established "goodwill" that's a runner but I don't see it as sustainable for the majority and certainly not for bands trying to break through as there's a confluence of forces out there now that make it virtually impossible to "tour" in anything like the traditional sense of the word.

I'll restrain myself from use of the "F" word.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Radiohead dont have a record label so this way they get all the profits. It's a very novel way of promoting an album, but will this count towards album sales? Reckon its not the death of the album format, but personally id much rather listen to an entire album than just single tracks.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7 View Post
    Radiohead dont have a record label so this way they get all the profits. It's a very novel way of promoting an album, but will this count towards album sales? Reckon its not the death of the album format, but personally id much rather listen to an entire album than just single tracks.
    Profits? Aren't they asked people to 'donate' whatever they feel the album is worth (as long as it's over 45p for some online charge) for the album? Can't imagine anyway but a lunatic will pay more than 50p for the album, and whilst it will make a profit, it won't be a great profit when split between the band

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I would imagine people will, when faced with the 45p charge, round it up to a quid or two.
    There's also a £40 box set, that a lot of fans will probably shell out for. Thom Yorke is packing the boxes as we speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Profits? Aren't they asked people to 'donate' whatever they feel the album is worth (as long as it's over 45p for some online charge) for the album? Can't imagine anyway but a lunatic will pay more than 50p for the album, and whilst it will make a profit, it won't be a great profit when split between the band
    I could see it being quite competetive with what they'd get for a CD sold through a shop. Using conveniently round averages ...let's say an LP you buy in a record shop is a tenner. Very few bands will see more than 5% of that in any shape or form as 10% is the standard sum given to the band (and managment!!) in recording contracts by a record company who then maybe only pick up a fiver from the shop ...so that's the bands share down to €0.50.

But many record shops, and in particular the larger ones who are sampled for chart compilation, will twist the bands labels arm for what are called +1 deals. It can be four +1, even three +1 whatever. But this institutionalised form of stick up involves the band/label handing over a completely free album for every say four albums the shop agree to carry (hence the term four +1) which the shop then keep 100% of profit upon as well as the 50 odd% they'll make on the other four copies. So there's the bands share down to €0.40 on a sale of a €10 album.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I could see it being quite competetive with what they'd get for a CD sold through a shop. Using conveniently round averages ...let's say an LP you buy in a record shop is a tenner. Very few bands will see more than 5% of that in any shape or form as 10% is the standard sum given to the band (and managment!!) in recording contracts by a record company who then maybe only pick up a fiver from the shop ...so that's the bands share down to €0.50.

But many record shops, and in particular the larger ones who are sampled for chart compilation, will twist the bands labels arm for what are called +1 deals. It can be four +1, even three +1 whatever. But this institutionalised form of stick up involves the band/label handing over a completely free album for every say four albums the shop agree to carry (hence the term four +1) which the shop then keep 100% of profit upon as well as the 50 odd% they'll make on the other four copies. So there's the bands share down to €0.40 on a sale of a €10 album.
    But you're leaving out the promotional work that the likes of HMV, Virgin etc. do to push the sales on said band's new album. Having worked in the stores I know only too well how much we can push an album down the consumer's throat if we are asked to, so Radiohead will lose out sales through releasing it online only as the shops won't be able to push it on to people who liked the Bends, OK Compute etc. but have lost track of the band in the last few years and might buy the record (I count that as a lot of Radiohead fans). Add to that the likes of myself who don't download music, and people without credit/debit cards and thats even further sales they've lost. So the total number of 50p profits they would make through online sales will be nowhere near the total number of 50p profits coming from an instore release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    But you're leaving out the promotional work that the likes of HMV, Virgin etc. do to push the sales on said band's new album. Having worked in the stores I know only too well how much we can push an album down the consumer's throat if we are asked to, so Radiohead will lose out sales through releasing it online only as the shops won't be able to push it on to people who liked the Bends, OK Compute etc. but have lost track of the band in the last few years and might buy the record (I count that as a lot of Radiohead fans). Add to that the likes of myself who don't download music, and people without credit/debit cards and thats even further sales they've lost. So the total number of 50p profits they would make through online sales will be nowhere near the total number of 50p profits coming from an instore release.
    Will you just sssssssssssstop.
    The shops, who I appreciate aren't in business for a hobby, syphon that much mark up AND the (disgraceful) +1 deals on pretty much everyones records ...you're hardly suggesting they put that much promotion into all their stock? That any band selling a record through their outlet is getting value for their lost fiver and lost +1s? No they don't and No they don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Not at all, I know the +1 scheme you're on about and agree that is nothing short of legal robbary, but I still maintain that stores pushing a CD through playing it instore, advertising said CD in shop front, putting stacks of the CD in high visability store areas etc. add a lot of numbers in regards to sales for bands like Radiohead, and by not having stores do so for this album you will see a drastic drop in medium term sales figures, and hence they will lose out on money

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Has there been a media blackout on the content of the album or has anyone read a review (if any)?

Does it follow on from "Hail to the thief" or has it taken a new direction etc etc?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have to say lads I'm still a little bit of a traditionalist, I like to go into the stores and pick up the product and add it to my collection. Nothing like owning the cd for real, where no Pc crash or Ipod being stolen stops you listening to the album.

C.D.S.C

The copyright for this post is owned by AAD Enterprises and can be used at a cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    This is one of the issues I have with downloaded music. No physical copy in shops means no bargain bin finds a few years down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    gonna buy this tonight. Some good reviews so far on nme from regular punters.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037194.stm

Disappointed customer there. Really hope they move on from the last few albums to be honest, was disapppointed with Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief was average enough. I'll probably wait a week or so to download it, im sure the website will be jammed!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    RADIOHEAD - IN RAINBOWS It's clearly a tribute to Richie Blackmore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Downloaded it last night and did pay a small fee but something doesn't doesn't feel right without the sleeve or artwork! Will post my views on the album once I listen to it a few more times.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Just downloaded it (didn't pay a cent but will buy it if it ever reaches the stores) . Gonna listen to it later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast