Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should the EL break during WC2006?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 45.74%
  • No

51 54.26%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should eL break for the World Cup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red
    Yep, I voted NO and I would have to agree with you. There is a big Dublin Derby on tomorrow, Shles-V-Pats, and I have not heard a thing about it. This is one of the biggest games involving these two probably since that farcical year!
    Whatever your opinion, doesn't it seem odd that a full round of midweek games was scheduled opposite big knock-out matches after taking a complete break for the group stages

And I know this sounds like sour grapes (because it is ) but Shelbourne definitely seem to have gained an advantage from playing through the break as against other clubs whose players stopped training and went to Lanzarote/their local for the fortnight.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I read in one of the papers yesterday that the league would have been happy enough if clubs wanted to change their dates of fixtures if they clashed with one of the big games in the knock-out rounds! Either it's been farcical surprise surprise..........
    Who Cares?!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Absolute madness playing matches last night and monday when there are knock out matches of the world cup on. Why couldn`t these of been played when the group stages were on or else in a midweek later on in the season?

Its the same next week - the league cup quarter finals are on the same nights as the 2 world cup semi finals God only knows how bad the crowds will be

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The break was a decent idea woefully executed. Instead of avoiding the group stages the break should have covered last 16 to semi final territory.

Instead we're back and playing midweek fixtures that clash with the last 16- crazy. Even not having midweek games during this period would have made more sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red
    I read in one of the papers yesterday that the league would have been happy enough if clubs wanted to change their dates of fixtures if they clashed with one of the big games in the knock-out rounds! Either it's been farcical surprise surprise..........
    Funny, I heard that UCD wants to move next Tuesday's game against Longford to Monday so as it won't clash with a world cup semi but the league won't allow it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I do think the loi should break juring the World cup .I was at the Bohs?City match last night .I think less turned out for the Bohs/City match because France and Spain were playing.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah but its the precedent that is worrying. Next year there will be no World Cup, European Championships or Olympics. So why take a break?

We were in Kilkenny tuesday and even with 80 or so Rovers fans there it was a pathetic crowd. Of course it had to do with the World Cup but also cos it was a midweek game. If there was no break there wouldnt be a need for midweek games.

There are no advantages to taking a break. Talk of resting pitches and players is laughable.

KOH

Was Dublin, then Madrid, then Paris, now London
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinR
    now that the break has been and gone, and the attednances thread is showing some very very poor attendances for those that clashed with world cup matches, has anyone that voted in the thread changed their mind on the issue.

the world cup certainly seems to have had an effect on the crowds, but how much of that is also down to the loss of momentum in the coverage of the league. i had voted no intitially, but i'm now inclined to think it was a good move.
    I have since changed my mind. It is a shame that those who went to Shels last two games missed Argentina vs. Mexico and France vs. Spain (two great games).

Choosing to stay at home and watch the World Cup isn't "barstooling" imo. This is as good as football gets, everyone should be allowed to watch the big games without having to pick it over their club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So if you were in Dublin now, you's perfer to stay at home and watch the TV rather than go to Tolka to support your favourite club?!
    Who Cares?!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234