Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Rory O'Hanlon

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Rory O'Hanlon

His father Rory is currently Ceann Comhairle of the Dail (and I'd venture the most partisan holder of that supposedly impartial position) and is former Minister for Health. As TD for Cavan Monaghan he has overseen the downgrading of Monaghan Hospital over the years and refuses to do anything about it while babies, kids, middle-aged people and old people have all died on the journey to Cavan or Drogheda. This includes a guy who worked as barman in our clubhouse, was knocked down beside the ground one night and died before he could be brought to hospital. The ambulance driver told me he would have been saved if Monaghan hospital was operational.
    The O'Hanlon's are from Carrickamcross. Carrickmacross is as close to Dundalk as it is to Monaghan. Indeed, beside me last night were Dundalk fans who certainly sounded like they from the Monaghan side of the county boundary. (Some interesting gossip overheard too, like how much Eamon McEneaney is getting (tax-free) to manage Louth, and how the Monaghan GAA squad will be in Anfield this weekend).
    Sorry if this one is better suited for the current-topics forum, just that mere mention of Rory O'Hanlon will get the goat up of anyone from Monaghan.
    Last edited by monutdfc; 21/04/2006 at 1:00 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Moved to off-topic.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    isnt he Ardal O'Hanlon's old boy?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Yes Pauro. The post was moved from a forum about Ardal's new show Leagues Apart. I'm not going to post any more on this topic as I don't feel I know enough about Mr O'Hanlon or his record in politics so please don't ask me to go any further.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu
    Yes Pauro. The post was moved from a forum about Ardal's new show Leagues Apart. I'm not going to post any more on this topic as I don't feel I know enough about Mr O'Hanlon or his record in politics so please don't ask me to go any further.
    No chance of that so!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Someone will need to explain context - and a /point/ - if this is to go in Current Affairs, otherwise it's going in the bin (it doesn't belong here).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,257 Posts
    Split from this thread. No other reason really.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The context was in the thread on Leagues Apart: people were asking where Ardal O'Hanlon was from and why he supported Shels supposedly and suggesting Monaghan United as his nearest club, while others were wondering whether he was related to Rory O'Hanlon. I was explaining that Dundalk is as near as Monaghan and confirming his realtionship to Rory O'Hanlon, and promptly went off on a rant about Rory O'Hanlon something which anyone from Monaghan finds easy to do. The rant plus taking it out of the context of the other thread makes it look a bit odd as a stand-alone post.

It's current affairs if you like - he's currently a TD and Ceann Comhairle, has been accused by Pat Rabitte of being biased in that role in recent months and ther state of the health service is certianly a current issue. Bin it if you like, I don't mind.