Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Tipp & District League 2005/06

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

North Tipp & District League 2005/06

Am I the only poster that plays in North Tipp.
    Plus link to our website http://www.geocities.com/jimster717/...ncelticfc.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I played in it with Oaktown Albion (ie Portumna) in the late 70s.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I played against a Portuma team when i was about 15 would have been early 90s. They haven't had a team in the league since. Makes since really since they are in Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bawn79
    I played against a Portuma team when i was about 15 would have been early 90s. They haven't had a team in the league since. Makes since really since they are in Galway.
    They've played in Galway and, more recently, Roscommon League, bawn79 but disappeared a year or so ago. Don't know why??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Its a strong hurling area, maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Its a strong hurling area, maybe that has something to do with it.
    True but Jimmy Heverin (coach of Irish champions Portumna hurlers this year) played for my Ports side in 1986 and there's a great interest there but, sadly, people who ran the footie there kinda drop in and out as far as I know. BTW, we used to play against Ballymac and teams like that in 1978.
    My school side used to play Steamstown a lot in friendlies - is Donal Golden's dad still involved there??
    Last edited by hamish; 10/04/2006 at 6:12 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I know the ballymackey team pretty well a few of the guys train with us on the astro-turf in Nenagh. We played streamstown in the cup last year and they were pretty poorly run so I doubt he is still involved.
    North Tipp soccer in general is in the doldrums, the best team in it at the moment are practically homeless Nenagh Celtic. They barely have a youths set-up. Nenagh Town have invested heavily in a new development of astroturf pitches and regular pitches and should bounce back with a very strong team.
    Templemore/Blackcastle are reasonably strong but i dont think they must be putting as much effort into youth development because the standard of player they are producing is dropping. After that they are lots of country/village teams that are basically being kept going by 3-4 people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I know the ballymackey team pretty well a few of the guys train with us on the astro-turf in Nenagh. We played streamstown in the cup last year and they were pretty poorly run so I doubt he is still involved.
    North Tipp soccer in general is in the doldrums, the best team in it at the moment are practically homeless Nenagh Celtic. They barely have a youths set-up. Nenagh Town have invested heavily in a new development of astroturf pitches and regular pitches and should bounce back with a very strong team.
    Templemore/Blackcastle are reasonably strong but i dont think they must be putting as much effort into youth development because the standard of player they are producing is dropping. After that they are lots of country/village teams that are basically being kept going by 3-4 people.
    Sorry to hear that bawn79 - I must say I enjoyed the games I played in the league - I remember Noel Monteith and a Liam bloke from Cloughjordan who I used to meet now and again. Think Noel in out of the scene now. What about John Freeman in Thurles?? Is he still involved??
    Yeah, I think I played against Blackcastle too and Ballymacackey - at least I think I did. There was another club called Ramblers too. Think they wore Arsenal type shirts but its not far off 20 years since I played so the memory is a bit thin.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    John Freeman steeped down as League secretary after about 100 years last year and the league is suffering as a result.

He is still previewing games on Tipp FM thought; in his own unique style!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tipp man
    John Freeman steeped down as League secretary after about 100 years last year and the league is suffering as a result.

He is still previewing games on Tipp FM thought; in his own unique style!!!!
    I used play on the North Tipp Youths team when John Freeman was manager, basically it was just an excuse to send young lads that weren't good enough for trials in England (I was one of the ones that wasn't even good enough to not be good enough!) So Tipp man are you involved in North or South Tipp soccer?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Sorry to hear that bawn79 - I must say I enjoyed the games I played in the league - I remember Noel Monteith and a Liam bloke from Cloughjordan who I used to meet now and again. Think Noel in out of the scene now. What about John Freeman in Thurles?? Is he still involved??
    Yeah, I think I played against Blackcastle too and Ballymacackey - at least I think I did. There was another club called Ramblers too. Think they wore Arsenal type shirts but its not far off 20 years since I played so the memory is a bit thin.
    Liam Tierney is the guy ur on about i think, big tall striker. I marked him when i was about 17 for our B team he must have been shoving 40ish. Cant remember how the game went. The ramblers must have kept rambling coz they are gone now.
    My team Newtown have probably the best pitch but the guy that owns it is trying to sell it to developers, only plus is it is in the county development plan so he will have to give another field elsewhere for it. Hopefully we will be able to get some additional facilities with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liam Tierney is the guy ur on about i think, big tall striker. I marked him when i was about 17 for our B team he must have been shoving 40ish. Cant remember how the game went. The ramblers must have kept rambling coz they are gone now.
    My team Newtown have probably the best pitch but the guy that owns it is trying to sell it to developers, only plus is it is in the county development plan so he will have to give another field elsewhere for it. Hopefully we will be able to get some additional facilities with it.
    Don't think that's him bawn - think his second name is Walsh???

John Freeman gave me a few players to try out with Athlone Town reserves back in the 90s - it was too hard though to finance them coming and going for training and playing - they were nifty enough. It nearly killed me collecting them and dropping them home from/to Thurles and Nenagh.

I think I played against Newtown FC - were they on the go in the late 70s??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Don't think that's him bawn - think his second name is Walsh???

John Freeman gave me a few players to try out with Athlone Town reserves back in the 90s - it was too hard though to finance them coming and going for training and playing - they were nifty enough. It nearly killed me collecting them and dropping them home from/to Thurles and Nenagh.

I think I played against Newtown FC - were they on the go in the late 70s??
    Not sure so who he is, think Newtown only started up in the early to mid eighties as far as i know.
    So are still in the tipp area sirhamish?, we could use some managerial expierence! Pay negotiable i.e you will want to get paid we wont give u any!

But seriously we are trying to push the club forward this year and get in a lot of soccer only players so anyone in the area interested pm me or mail me at bawn79@yahoo.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not sure so who he is, think Newtown only started up in the early to mid eighties as far as i know.
    So are still in the tipp area sirhamish?, we could use some managerial expierence! Pay negotiable i.e you will want to get paid we wont give u any!

But seriously we are trying to push the club forward this year and get in a lot of soccer only players so anyone in the area interested pm me or mail me at bawn79@yahoo.com.
    Sorry bawn, live in Beeslow and can't drive anymore. Used to teach in Portumna - that's why I played for them when I first started in the school there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No bother Sir Hamish, just said id ask the question. Trying to push the club forward and all that and you sound like someone that knows his stuff.
    Anyway hopefully someone else happens to walk in here and I can kidnap. them to play/coach for our club!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Bump ----------

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Double Bump --- This is very bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Bawn - what does bump and double bump mean??
    Any news on the North Tipp League - how are Borrisokane doing this weather?
    I know one can get info. from the Star etc about North Tipp footie but your own knowledge of what's really happening would be better.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish
    Bawn - what does bump and double bump mean??
    I think he's a bit dissapointed that he's had to bump (post something just to bring the thread back into view) because there's not enough people getting involved in the thread.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man
    I think he's a bit dissapointed that he's had to bump (post something just to bring the thread back into view) because there's not enough people getting involved in the thread.
    Yip very true, was hoping to stimulate a little chat about the league and where it is going but it doesnt seem to be happening.
    Ive found the standard of football to be getting worse over the last few years from when it was really competitive in the mid nineties.
    Borrisokane are defunct, which is weird because the area they occupy actually would have a much bigger population than the club I play for and we are in the Premier. Just seems to be a lack of interest on there part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast