Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jim Roddy - All-Ireland League

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Who was beaten 4:0 by a Welsh team......?
    dcfcsteve

Pineapple stu got it on the nose.. and by the way that was your famous treble winning team too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Derry 0-4 Cardiff, 1988/89 Cup Winners' Cup.

By the way, do you want me to explain the difference between "baseless personal assumptions" and relevant facts in case law?

Facts, Steve, facts!
    Ahhhh - I thought you were talking about recent results (e.g Longford).

Just you UCD boys keep patting yourselves on the back for the colossal strides you've made on behalf of Irish football over the years. Bravo chaps - we can never thank you enough...

And please do explain what the feck you're banging on about it PS - but do so in a PM so as to not bore the arse off anyone else on this. Interesting to hear you're still asserting that you know more about a particular footballing scenario than the FIFA rep who was directly involved in the establishment of that scenario in law in the first place. Have you family in the 'Flat Earth Society' or something....?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ahhhh - I thought you were talking about recent results (e.g Longford).

Just you UCD boys keep patting yourselves on the back for the colossal strides you've made on behalf of Irish football over the years. Bravo chaps - we can never thank you enough...

And please do explain what the feck you're banging on about it PS - but do so in a PM so as to not bore the arse off anyone else on this. Interesting to hear you're still asserting that you know more about a particular footballing scenario than the FIFA rep who was directly involved in the establishment of that scenario in law in the first place. Have you family in the 'Flat Earth Society' or something....?
    And where exactly do you think your club acquired Ciaran Martyn?
    Where exactly did Clive Delaney make his name in the EL?
    and No it wasn't St.Pat's!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    And where exactly do you think your club acquired Ciaran Martyn?
    Where exactly did Clive Delaney make his name in the EL?
    and No it wasn't St.Pat's!
    So we bought a player off UCD. Woo-hoo - your team must be rammered with Brazilian internationals then.

Hibs bought Ivan Sproule from Institute. That doesn't make Sproule a bad player, or Institute anything other than the muck team they are.

But thank God we have UCD's proud European heritage to save Ireland's tarnished history in Europe. PLEASE win the league this year and beat Barcelona in the 2007 Champions League Final. A club with your powerful European record can't turn it's back on the Eircom League in our hour of need !!!!

UCD for the World Club Championship !!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Show me where we said that? Please resort to using facts rather than groundless personal opinions in your posts more, Steve. It's getting tiresome at this stage.

Mods - think a lock is in order?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steve,
    I think you might be over reacting here a bit. All that Bald Student said was that we'd never lost a home game in europe, not that we were likely to win any european trophies.

In any case I think we've wandered a tad off topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    Steve,
    I think you might be over reacting here a bit. All that Bald Student said was that we'd never lost a home game in europe, not that we were likely to win any european trophies.
    Not at all. UCD's lack of home defeat in Europe was presented as some sort of proud boast. In reality it's just a reflection of the medicority of the club.

The simple reason why UCD have been able to maintain their record of not losing a home game in Europe is because you so rarely get to play in it. Yes - you had 2 relatively good home results in the last 20+ years. But if you were playing in Europe more frequently than your current once-every-millenia appearance rate, you'd be clocking-up all manner of results - good, bad and ugly !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Show me where we said that? Please resort to using facts rather than groundless personal opinions in your posts more, Steve. It's getting tiresome at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Not at all. UCD's lack of home defeat in Europe was presented as some sort of proud boast.
    Actually, I think it was just a tongue in cheek post.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not at all. UCD's lack of home defeat in Europe was presented as some sort of proud boast. In reality it's just a reflection of the medicority of the club.

The simple reason why UCD have been able to maintain their record of not losing a home game in Europe is because you so rarely get to play in it. Yes - you had 2 relatively good home results in the last 20+ years. But if you were playing in Europe more frequently than your current once-every-millenia appearance rate, you'd be clocking-up all manner of results - good, bad and ugly !
    Well I doubt we'd lose 4-0 to Cardiff with a team capable of winning the Premier Division, F.A.I. Cup and League Cup here , but I could be wrong about that !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Actually, I think it was just a tongue in cheek post.
    I'm sure Bald Student can speak for himself but I tought the 'infinity and counting' comment made that quite clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I doubt we'd lose 4-0 to Cardiff with a team capable of winning the Premier Division, F.A.I. Cup and League Cup here , but I could be wrong about that !
    There are at least two reasons why that comment is true!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The simple reason why UCD have been able to maintain their record of not losing a home game in Europe is because you so rarely get to play in it. Yes - you had 2 relatively good home results in the last 20+ years.
    I don't think anyone (except maybe Pineapple) will disagree with you there Steve, save that I would have considered all four games to have been relatively good and I don't see why you started the clock 2 milennia ago.

Personally I think this is an example of why Bald Student's policy of not using smileys is self defeating .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Really ??? So you think the best team in the Eircom League wouldn't struggle to knock Cardiff City out of Europe, should they both meet ?? If so - you're suggesting that the top teams in the Eircom League would be capable of vying for a spot with teams in the English Championship promotion play-off zone A very brave call.....

On top of that - the gulf between League of Ireland football and the likes of Cardiff City in 1989 was even larger then than it is now. We didn't have a hope in-hell of knocking them out that year. Though we did register a home draw against them - so we have our own wee record to celebrate of never losing on home soil in Europe to a Welsh team....

One think we can be sure of - I was reliably informed by a Cardiff fan at the Carmarthen v Longford game (now, THERE'S an embarassing defeat to a Welsh team... ) that in his many decades as a Cardiff season ticket holder he'd never seen as big an away support at Ninnian Park as when Derry played there. No danger of UCD toppling that record - even if you went as the best team in Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    If we had a team capable of winning the treble then we wouldn't be ourselves, we'd just be a hypothetical dream team. That doesn't make any sense.

Do you mean Cardiff now or then? Cardiff are currently 8th in the Championship. Back then they finished 14th in the Third Division (i.e. the third flight).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678