Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team for new season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Team for new season

so what do ye reckon the team will be come the start of the season.i think it will look something like this:
    O Hara
    Peers
    Burns
    McNamara
    Foy
    Raf
    O Grady
    Hughes
    Faz
    McT
    Flannery

Thats a fairly strong team on paper and you still have to fit turner in somewhere.I think our starting team is strong but we lack strength in depth.who would you bring on to change a game?nobody really springs to mind.maybe gary curran but he's still young and is more of a midfielder than a striker.steve feeney may also come into contention but i don't think he'll be starting.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    sounds about right

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what about turner did any1 see him playin in any of the friendlies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtop
    what about turner did any1 see him playin in any of the friendlies?
    yep. he played in centre midfield for 1st half v st.catherine's. he's very very good from what i've seen. smaller than i thought he would be but still strong lookin. i wouldn't beother predicting the team yet cos der'll be a fair bit of action between now&feb22
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red4Eva
    der'll be a fair bit of action between now&feb22
    I fecking hope so cos our current strikeforce is not good enough to "go it alone" in the Premier.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever
    so what do ye reckon the team will be come the start of the season.i think it will look something like this:
    O Hara
    Peers
    Burns
    McNamara
    Foy
    Raf
    O Grady
    Hughes
    Faz
    McT
    Flannery

Thats a fairly strong team on paper and you still have to fit turner in somewhere.I think our starting team is strong but we lack strength in depth.who would you bring on to change a game?nobody really springs to mind.maybe gary curran but he's still young and is more of a midfielder than a striker.steve feeney may also come into contention but i don't think he'll be starting.
    Hard to disagree with that selection, but we are very light up front for the Premier Division. We need to sign another quality striker to provide competition and I just have a niggling doubt about how Flannery is going to get on next season, I hope I'm wrong though! Sean has let a lot of attacking options go since last season and I hope he has a replacement lined up.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I have a niggling feeling that Raf will be out of the first team (at least on opening day) if we do sign Turner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    I have a niggling feeling that Raf will be out of the first team (at least on opening day) if we do sign Turner
    No way, he couldn't do that. Especially after all the stuff he said about how Raf is full-time now and he was expecting big things from him this season etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever
    I think our starting team is strong but we lack strength in depth.
    That's our biggest problem at the moment in my opinion. We have a starting eleven that's capable of surviving the Premier but if we get a few serious injuries, we have no real prospects able to come in as a replacement. Sean Connor definitely needs to sort this out before we kick-off the season next month.
    Last edited by sligoman; 07/02/2006 at 10:27 PM.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    well i dont think he will not play one of his new signings of course i do think that raf will play an important part over the course of the season but i think if turner does come then he will start the season on the pitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    What positions does Turner play in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo Red
    We need to sign another quality striker to provide competition and I just have a niggling doubt about how Flannery is going to get on next season, I hope I'm wrong though.
    me&my brother were talkin bout flannery during the st.catherine's game sayin that if he had two bad games in a row his confidence could be f*cked and he'd go back to the flannery of the don days. 10 seconds later he picked up the ball bout 25 yards out, chipped up for himself & rifled it into the back of the net. have faith in him.

turner is known as a right back but i'd say he cud play there or anywhere in midfield
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red4Eva
    me&my brother were talkin bout flannery during the st.catherine's game sayin that if he had two bad games in a row his confidence could be f*cked and he'd go back to the flannery of the don days. 10 seconds later he picked up the ball bout 25 yards out, chipped up for himself & rifled it into the back of the net. have faith in him.
    In fairness, their's a big difference in playing against a junior side from Donegal and the likes of Cork, Derry and Shels every week. Flannery will rarely, if ever, get the time or space to rifle shots from 25yards in the Premier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    In fairness, their's a big difference in playing against a junior side from Donegal and the likes of Cork, Derry and Shels every week. Flannery will rarely, if ever, get the time or space to rifle shots from 25yards in the Premier.
    i know ya obviously but i wouldn't wanna doubt any of the players until they've played a few games

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'd have:
    o hara
    turner
    burns
    mcnamara
    peers
    raf
    ogrady
    hughes
    faz
    mctiernan
    flannery

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is a difference but it is not that much, look at Malahide last season against us. We could easily have been knocked out down in Malahide in the replay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marktis
    There is a difference but it is not that much, look at Malahide last season against us. We could easily have been knocked out down in Malahide in the replay.

SPOT ON BRO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah. I have waited patiently,but i'm a bit concerned about the lack of depth to the squad. And has been pointed out you need a guy who'll take chances. I have great time for McT and Flannery,but i think that as a pairing they may find the going difficult in the Premier.

I'm surprised Sean hasn't placed a greater emphasis on strikers. He seems more concerned with getting left/right sided defenders who can also play in midfield. Anyway i'm not doubting Sean,but i am worried about up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Everyone can slip up the odd time. If we were playing a team of Malahide's calibre every week then I've no doubts that we'd win the league!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Everyone can slip up the odd time. If we were playing a team of Malahide's calibre every week then I've no doubts that we'd win the league!
    Hello, did we not play them twice (home and away) and fail to beat them in 180 mins? I was just saying that the standard in junior football (at the top end anyway) is very close to league of ireland.

It would be an interesting challenge to see if a league of ireland club could win the fai junior cup!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    It would be an interesting challenge to see if a league of ireland club could win the fai junior cup!
    Not really. Of course they could and would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast