Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our best players right now. Stephhen Reid, Finnan and Given?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Our best players right now. Stephen Reid, Finnan and Given?

In terms of playing consistently well for their clubs. Reid has been outstanding for Blackburn. Playing in the center of midfield and rarely giving the ball away. Getting stuck into tackles and making load of goals. Great to see and if he keeps playing consistently well then a huge plus for Ireland. Finnan has been playing well all season. I still can't understand how "skinny" Carr got into the Irish side ahead of Finnan. Given has been outstanding in every game for Newcastle. And with Robbie Keane, Dunne and of course Duff we have a good nucleus here for a real shot at qualifying for the Euros.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 21/01/2006 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    S Reid has to be a cert for the next squad and is deffo pushing for a place in the team. Duff seems to be in indifferent form and seems to be in danger of losing his place in the team which is a worry .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    Duff seems to be in indifferent form and seems to be in danger of losing his place in the team which is a worry .
    When you have Robben and Cole in the squad he'll always be in danger of losing his place but I think Mourinho thinks too highly of him to leave him in an Andy Reid type situation. It actually looked weird seeing Duff come off the bench last week as he's been starting so much when fit for the last year. Robben is suspended tomorrow and Duff really does have to grab his chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    well thats true but i feel that if cole keeps his amazing form this year and if robben can get back to where he was last year then duff might be in trouble but i cant see both of those events happening for too long. ( i hope )

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I have to agree on the assessment of S Reid, Finnan and Given. Finnan and Given in particular have being our most consistent players for their clubs and also with Ireland. I would also like to say that Graham Kavanagh is another who sticks out. Robbie on his day but need to be more consistent.

I know I will get crucified for this but I personally think that Duff has gone down hill. I have nothing but admiration for Duff and from the first time I saw him play I fell in love with his talent.He used to have everyone on the edge of their seat when he played for Blackburn Ireland and his first period in a Chelsea jersey.I loved watching him rip defences apart week in week out and make the Spanish defence look like Sunday league when he was the man of the match at the last world cup.I always knew that when Duff got the ball something good was going to happen.

He is a different type of player now,some might argue a better one but I liked the old Duff best of all.I don't care if Chelsea ever win another game and the only reason I watch them is because of Duff.To be honest the only thing I have seen him do for quite a while now is that back heel flick to Gallas from one of eirebhoys video clips.I hope he gets his chance tomorrow and plays a blinder but I am not so sure if we will see the football that kept us on the edge of our seats again.I hope i am proved wrong.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I still think Duff has a lot more natural talent than Cole. And is at least as good as Robben if not better. Nothing new in a great player going stale for awhile. Watch Duff comeback to top form soon. He just needs to start enjoying his football again. And I believe that Staunton will get the best out of him for Ireland. A "large lad" up front coming through the ranks or through the granny rule wouldn't go amiss. Doherty is going backwards from a backwards position! We need someone who will complement Keane, Doyle, Elliot or whoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    FarBeag - I doubt you'll get crucified for that as most people will agree with you, I certainly do. This is posts by Chelsea fans after Duff came off the bench for his first appearance under Mourinho in 2004:

"Not playing Duff is crazy...stop playing Tiago and give Duff his chance."

"Duff be playing from the beginning even with a broken foot. that's how important duff should be."

"And Duff was awesome. It was just our strikers couldn't deal with the number of chances he created."

" i do think J.Cole has had his chance now and not taken so it is time for Duff."

"Damien Duff played excellent today. Lets hope Mourinho starts to use him down the left-flank from now on because he's been missed."

"Ratings

Cech 9 Ferreira 7 Carlvalho 6 terry 9 Bridge 8 Maka 6 Lampard 8 Tiago 7 Cole 8 Duff 10 Gudjohnsen 6 Drogba 5 Kezman 4"

"i dont think mourinho is fully aware of what duff is capable of."

That was a 30 minute appearance. 2 things that should be noted. One, look how highly rated he was by the Chelsea fans just into his 2nd season. Two, I remember that performance, I think it was against Southampton and he was absolutely world class, all 30 minutes of it. Nobody can blame Duff for the way he is playing, 110% of the blame should go to Mourinho imo. OK, he'll save Chelsea from conceding a few goals in the season but its wasting Duff's talent to make him play conservative football for the sake of being hard to break down.

The hope I cling onto is his world class performances in his last 3 friendlies for Ireland, he really needs to be allowed to play like that consistantly for Chelsea though. Mourinho wants his plays to use their brain more like the Barca players do but that's not Duff.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 21/01/2006 at 2:17 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I'd add Kav too. But I'm quite encouraged by others' recent form too. Robbie is showing signs of form, Kevin Doyle, Dunne was outstanding against United (thouygh poor in other games - a big game, backs against the wall player?).

Kav & Reid central mid for me.

I've no worries whatsoever about Duff. The more I see Christiano Ronaldo the more I'm grateful Duff is Irish. I keep banging on about this but the quality of Duff's final ball is outstanding. Unfortunately for him Chelsea often only have one upfront (& it's Drogba) and we don't have great height upfront for Ireland. Neither Robben nor Duff is p;laying as well as he can, but Radio 5 Live often comment that not losing the ball is a mantra of Mourinho's & I agree. If Duff played fpor Liverpool....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Agreed on Dunne... He defo needs a "Footballing" Centre half beside him...

Not sure if Steven Reid has cemented his role with Hughes. He seems to get benched every so often as opposed to Savage who starts every game when available. I've not seen as much as I'd have liked of Reid this season. From what I've seen is that he retains posession well but is not as progressive as I feel he should be. A favourite player of mine but has thus far flattered to deceive.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Since Blackburn have gone on their recent roll of about 7 games Reid has been their top player with Pederson and Friedel. I also thought he wasn't progressing but having seen most of Blackburns recent games Reid has been outstanding. Exactly what the Irish team needs. He needs to keep this type of consistency and if he does then all the better for us.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 21/01/2006 at 4:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i think people are talking about club form at the moment new manager should = wipe the slate clean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman
    HTF did Stephen Reid make that list? He may have potential but he hasn't shown much for Ireland. HTe last game I saw him play was v Man U a while back and it wasn't pretty. Has he improved a lot?
    saw stepehen reid on match of the day last night. Was only around a 5-10 minute clip of the game but 90% of the time when blackburn were breaking it was reid who was carrying the ball. He was very quick breaking from defence toe the oppositions box and ran past players at will. this is the best i have seen him play for a long time, and that is saying something as he had been in good form previously.

He is a cert. for the ireland squad and if he continues this form he will be a cert. for the starting line up, either in central midfield or that right hand side role.

Much of that will depend if Staunton sees fit to play o'brien, if thats the case maybe either himself or finnan will play right hand side of midfield.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    yep, highlights of yesterday's game showed reid yet again putting in a good box to box performance. carried the ball almost effortlessly 50 yards+ on a few occasions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Given

Finnan Dunne O Brien Kilbane

(Vacant) Kavanagh Reid Duff

Keane Doyle
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Yep, we've nobody playing well regularly in RHM at the moment though Steve Reid was RHM at the weekend. You could put Mark Kennedy at left-back and maybe add McGeady to RHM.

On club form Stephen Ireland & Joey O'Brien are near enough to the first XI. You'd almost have to drop Andy O'Brien altogether though he's one that for some reason seems well adapted to international football.

Until yesterday I thought O'Shea had been doing well for United but he was very careless yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thought Andy O'Brien was poor against Wigan on Saturday - found it tough against Sutton and Hesky
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I'd have Steven Reid on the right and bring Liam Miller into the centre. Rory Delap is another option on the right. Doyle (Coventry), Douglas (Leeds), Dunne (Millwall), Flood (ManC) and Rowlands (QPR) could possible be options on the right and should be given a run in the upcoming friendlies.

The area of most concern for me though is left full. If Clive Clarke gets a move away from West Ham he could be an option. Tierney at Livingston is another option - he was spoken of as a future international when he was at ManU. Other than that Harte and O'Shea have had their chances and it is questionable if they should have more in this position. I think the best option at the moment would be Kilbane and I'd like to see him playing there against Sweden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Miller got cramp last week against Wigan ffs - whatever about options for the right (?), don't think Miller is up to it at the moment, if ever..

Would to see Mark Kennedy get a call up - heard he played well at LB last week...
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Given

Finnan Dunne O Brien Kilbane

(Vacant) Kavanagh Reid Duff

Keane Doyle
    I'd be inclined to agree with this selection. Although he's not popular on this forum, I'd put Matt Holland on the right side of midfield. Both Kav and Reid like to get forward and Holland could tuck in and give us more defensive solidity. I wouldn't play Reid on the right wing as I feel he is constrained in this position. On the other hand, he is like a thoroughbred horse in the centre of the field.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    I'd be inclined to agree with this selection. Although he's not popular on this forum, I'd put Matt Holland on the right side of midfield. Both Kav and Reid like to get forward and Holland could tuck in and give us more defensive solidity. I wouldn't play Reid on the right wing as I feel he is constrained in this position. On the other hand, he is like a thoroughbred horse in the centre of the field.
    Indeed Stephen Reid seems to like a bit of a gallop.

Secondly, Holland has been getting picked week in week out for Charlton now, did well in the 1-1 draw to Chelsea and regardless of some peoples opinions he has to be an option, hes still a decent player

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast