Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Squad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'd stick Shane Supple in the squad as third choice keeper. He's playing regularly now at Ipswich and looks like he has a vast amount of potenital. I'd certainly have him there instead of Murphy, Colgan or Stack. None of which play regular football at a high enough level to justify their inclusion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    I expect Pete is referring to a combo of holding player / attacking player which does tend to be the favoured approach these days. I wouldn't call it a diamond so much myself, that's just Sven bullsh1tology & I expect it strictly refers to the "wide" two playing narrower than having conventional wingers.

An obvious exception is the way Barton & Ireland interact at City. I heard the term "piston" to describe the Vieira / Petit pairing at Arsenal & it kind of refers to City aswell.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    I'd stick Shane Supple in the squad as third choice keeper. He's playing regularly now at Ipswich and looks like he has a vast amount of potenital. I'd certainly have him there instead of Murphy, Colgan or Stack. None of which play regular football at a high enough level to justify their inclusion.
    I'd be inclined to leave the Irish U19 team alone for the time being. Let them develop together for now.

Colin Doyle is playing regularly and very well. He's also twice Supple's size. Colgan no chance though, I agree. Supple is still only no. 2 at Ipswich - he's only getting a game because Lewis Price is injured ( I think). I think Wayne Henderson is in with a shot of being no. 3 keeper, esp if he can seal a permanent move to Brighton. They really like him down there. He's been injured and I think he may be back at Villa as they're arguing over his transfer price.

Supple's time will come, as will Randolph's.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Supple is still only no. 2 at Ipswich - he's only getting a game because Lewis Price is injured ( I think).
    Price has been back for a while now but Supple is keeping his place in goal. Henderson was impressive during his time with Brighton but he hasn't played regularly for a while. I think Supple at the moment is a better keeper than Doyle even if he is only about half his size.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Not sitting on the fence here but they could rotate 3rd keeper, just to make sure they all get some experience. It's a totally remote possibility than a 3rd keeper will ever have anything to do. I'm very positive about Supple but am I right in thinking he's not even no. 1 choice for Ireland's U19s?

The underage keepers, in my opinion, are better off playing for the underage sides right now. Who'll be U21 keeper now that Henderson & Deeney are overage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Finnan played at left back for a lot of his time at Fulham and I think he's the best option for that position with Kelly at right back. We need an attacking right back as the right midfield position will most likely be filled by someone who'll drift inside a lot and will need overlapping.

O'Brien has been doing well at Pompey and always plays well for us so I think Dunne-O'Brien is a cert to start at centre half.

In my opinion, we have more players coming through now than ever before. When Kerr's underage teams were doing so well, very few of the players were getting games at club level. A lot of the U19s are getting first team football now.

Off topic but here's a pass from Duff which was on Soccer AM last week:

http://media.putfile.com/Duff-Pass

Quality pass.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    did anyone mention Ronnie O'Brien? He might be worth a look in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    Top pass from Duff there EB

I saw Finnan play at left full once for Ireland under Kerr, that was the Norway game. Played at right full later in the game too and didn't seem out of position in either. I think that was the only time Kerr tried him out there, and settled on O'Shea in there.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Top pass from Duff there EB

I saw Finnan play at left full once for Ireland under Kerr, that was the Norway game. Played at right full later in the game too and didn't seem out of position in either. I think that was the only time Kerr tried him out there, and settled on O'Shea in there.
    Finnan played left back against Switzerland afair.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    That's right. I think he, O'Brien & Given were only players to do well that day. Carr played left back against Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Indeed he did, my mistake - http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=430756
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Not sitting on the fence here but they could rotate 3rd keeper, just to make sure they all get some experience. It's a totally remote possibility than a 3rd keeper will ever have anything to do. I'm very positive about Supple but am I right in thinking he's not even no. 1 choice for Ireland's U19s?

The underage keepers, in my opinion, are better off playing for the underage sides right now. Who'll be U21 keeper now that Henderson & Deeney are overage?
    Could be Darren Randolph from Charlton Athletic
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    Could be Darren Randolph from Charlton Athletic
    Quigley was in the last few squads as second choice. He's still underage.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3
    did anyone mention Ronnie O'Brien? He might be worth a look in.
    Thank you brine3! I don't know why he is constantly overlooked - out of sight, out of mind maybe? Ronnie O'Brien, apart from being voted Time's Man of the Millennium, is lighting up the MLS with Dallas Burn and has been on their Team of the Season for the last 2 years. He's a right-winger - which has been a trouble position for us lately - and is surely as good, if not better, than anything we have going in that area at the mo. I wouldn't agree with playing Joey O'Brien at RM - generally the less players playing out of position for us the better - but his natural position is CM; perhaps give him a run there for 25 mins?

In any case, I think a big squad for Sweden is a decent idea. Mine would run as follows:

Given, Kenny, Stack.

Finnan, Kelly, J. O'Brien, Dunne, O'Brien, McCarthy, Harte, O'Shea.

R. O'Brien, S. Reid, A. Reid, Kavanagh, Holland, Ireland, McGeady, Duff.

Keane, Morrison, Connolly, Trundle, Doyle.

With the team being:

Kenny

Finnan
    Dunne (c)
    O'Brien
    Harte

R. O'Brien
    Kavanagh
    A. Reid
    Duff

Keane
    Doyle

Would like to see Kelly, McCarthy, J. O'Brien, Ireland, Trundle and McGeady all get a half or at least 30 mins.

Has anyone mentioned Neil Kilkenny of Birmingham yet? He's been in and out of the team this season - worth a look?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Andy Reids club position means he should struggle to get near the team let alone hold down a place in the centre of midfields.. he really needs to get a grip of his career again!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan
    Has anyone mentioned Neil Kilkenny of Birmingham yet? He's been in and out of the team this season - worth a look?
    Wants to play for England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan
    Not an option. After originally declaring for Ireland he's taken the Queen's Shilling instead.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345