Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Future for this Irish Team

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Future for this Irish Team

Like everyone on this forum I found our recent failure to qualify for the World Cup absolutely gut-wrenching. The fact that we held our destiny in our own hands makes it all the more disappointing. However, it is at times like this that we must look to the future and the positives for Irish football.

In the past few weeks I've read a lot of pessimistic views from both journalists and fans on this forum. People point to a lack of playing resources currently at our disposal. Tom Humphries has stated on a number of occasions that Brian Kerr had to work with an inferior squad to his two predecessors. Humphries conveniently neglected to mention that when Mick McCarthy acquired the job in 1996 he was forced to rely on a group of veterans such as Townsend, Houghton, Cascarino and McLoughlin. He was thereby forced to bring in a number of young players such as Given, Harte, Breen, Cunningham, Farrelly, Connolly and O'Neill, some of whom couldn't get a game for their clubs. In this sense, McCarthy stamped his own identity on the Irish team. That is something which Brian Kerr never did, but something the new manager must do.

I disagree with the view that we do not currently have the resources to qualify for major tournaments, an assertion held by Brian Kerr in the aftermath of our 0-0 draw with Switzerland. Kerr put 11 Premiership players on the field against France in Paris. That was a trend which continued for most of the qualifiers. Kerr certainly had sufficient talent at his disposal, more so than Switzerland and Israel. However, Kerr instilled neither the requisite commitment nor the confidence in the players.

While our failure to qualify has cost us three players through retirement, we shouldn't be too upset. Steve Carr's decision may have been a surprise, but it must be accepted that Carr is not the player he was four years ago. He's at least a yard slower and lacks the temperament required at this level. His current form is in stark contrast to the form he showed against Portugal at Lansdowne in June 2001. I do not consider his retirement to be a huge loss. We have an outstanding replacement in the shape of Steve Finnan. The loss of Kenny Cunningham was to be expected. His personality and leadership will be sorely missed in the Irish squad. However, perhaps his departure willl be a blessing in disguise. Cunningham is clearly lacking the pace for international football, and this certainly played a part in our recent tendency to defend deep. The failure of our defence to push up when in possession was motivated by the need to compensate for Cunningham's lack of pace. This thereby created disunity on the field. We need to defend as a team and attack as a team. The departure of Cunningham will allow us to to develop the partnership of Richard Dunne and Andy O'Brien. Both players have proved that they are competent at this level. Hopefully they can form a reliable partnership.

The most high-profile retirement obviously concerned Roy Keane. His return from international exile may have helped lay to rest the ghost of Saipan. It must be said that Keane's most recent retirement has been easier to accept. Nonetheless, I don't think his loss will be as significant as many paople feel. It's my own opinion that Keane failed to produce his old form since his return. With the exception of his return game against Romania and the two games against France, none of Keane's performances could be described as vintage. Indeed, his performances away to Switzerland, Israel and the Faroes were mediocre. As much as the arrival of a new manager, it could be suggested that Keane's latest retirement represents the beginning of a new era for Irish football. For the best part of ten years the remaining Irish players have lived in the shadow of Keane. While his presence has had many positive impacts, it may be that the players will now feel the freedom to express themselves and forge a new identity for the team.

Indeed, there have been a number of positives to emerge for Irish football in recent weeks. Chief amongst these is the emergence of Stephen Ireland at Man City. The youngster has taken the Premiership by storm. We tend to get excited about young Irish players but Stepehn Ireland looks the real deal. He's reminiscent of a young Roy Keane. He's not afraid to put the foot in and seems unphased by the demands of the Premiership. Furthermore, Ireland looks like a genuine creative midfielder. His passing is excellent and the vision he showed in recent games against Aston Villa and Fulham gives further credence to his claims for an international call-up in the new year. Ireland is the pick of a group of promising young midfielders ready to fill the void left by Keane. While Glenn Whelan, Joey O'Brien, Owen Garvan and Manchester United's Darron Gibson are far from international class players yet, they certainly provide reason for optimism.

With regard to our attacking options, I genuinely believe that things are looking up in this department. Clinton Morrison has already struck 7 goals in 12 starts for Crystal Palace. While Clinton has been forced to drop a division for first team football, it may not be too long before he is back in the top flight. With the imminent return of Andy Johnson from injury, both he and Morrison will surely fire Palace to a play-off place at least. Morrison clearly enjoys himself at Palace and I think he would be better prepared for life in the Premierahip with the London club. The current scarcity of goals at Birmingham would suggest that it was hardly the best place for Morrison to come by goals.

The emergence of Kevin Doyle is a further positive. The Wexford man has made a big impression at Reading. Considering that Doyle has almost a full season of football behind him already (half a season with Cork), we probably won't see the best of him until next season. His pace and power with the ball at feet will certainly add a new dimension to the Irish squad.

Stephen Elliott is arguably the most impressive Irish striker this season. I was never convinced about Elliott, but admit to having changed my mind in recent weeks. For Ireland, he put had an excellent cameo appearance against Italy, was our best outfield player against Cyprus, and showed some good touches when introduced against Switzerland. For Sunderland, he's scored two cracking gaols against Man United and Newcastle. I've seen a lot of Sunderland games this season and genuinely believe he has been their most impressive player. Even when introduced from the bench against Arsenal last weekend, he looked more competent than any of Sunderland's other attacking options. He has a good touch, holds the ball up well, and has an excellent work-rate. Elliott's Sunderland team-mate, Daryl Murphy has also made good progress. The 22-year old put in a good performace against Arsenal. For a big man, he's quite mobile and has a great touch. Any time I've seen him I've been impressed with his technique. If Murphy continues to develop at Sunderland and chips in with a few goals, he may become the perfect foil for Stephen Elliott or Robbie Keane.

We've discussed Robbie enough on this forum. He needs a move in the transfer window in order to ressurect his career. If he makes the right move and shows the due application, he has more to offer than any other Irish striker.

A further striking option that should be taken into account is Lee Trundle. Regardless of his age, the Swansea striker warrants an opportunity. His footballing ability, coupled with his physical presence, could provide Ireland with a further alternative in attack, particularly coming off the bench. Trundle has clearly demonstrated his commitment to the cause. If his only motivation was playing international football he could have taken Northern Ireland up on their offer. We can take it as read that Trundle will be playing in the Championship next season, either with Swansea or a different club.

Taking our current attacking options into account, it's my opinion that the new manager should concentate on working with the following players: Robbie Keane, Clinton Morrison, Stephen Elliott, Kevin Doyle, Daryl Murphy and Lee Trundle. With the exception of Trundle who is 29, that's a young group of players. The last time I remember Ireland having as many strikers to pick from was in the early 1990s when Jack Charlton could name John Aldridge, Niall Quinn, Tony Cascarino, David Kelly and John Byrne in his squad.

There are a number of other Irish players that need to step up to the plate over the coming year. It would be nice to see Clive Clarke make a real impression at West Ham and Gareth O'Connor to continue his good form at Burnley. Clarke's defensive solidity might offer us real hope in the left-back position. Others such as John O'Shea and Steven Reid must finally live up to their early billing as talented young players. We must find a hard-tacking midfielder who can control the pace of the game. I have my doubts as to whether Graham Kavanagh can carry out this role, and past experience would suggest that Matt Holland certainly cannot.

Above all, we need the new manager to develop the Irish team as a unit over the coming year. We need the team to once again be greater than the sum of its parts. For that to happen, the new manager must instill confidence and enthusiasm into the squad. We need the old team spirit to return. Perhaps the most important tactic that the team can use is that of "put 'em under pressure"! The pressing game employed by Jack, and Mick to a lesser extent is suited to the Irish style of play. The cautious, continental approach of sitting back and letting the opposition play might have been Kerr's philosophy, but Irish teams play better with a high-tempo, agressive game-plan. If the new Ireland manager understands how to get the best out of these players, there is no doubt in my mind that we will make a swift return to the top table of international football.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Agree with most of that... I think Kav can do a job for us and is a contender for the midfield tackler, he has been Wigan's best player so far this season and they are doing well against decent teams so IMO he's a great option to have.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fantastic post Jamaican PM. So well written and a nice logical progression to it. I agree with the vast majority too apart from the stuff about Lee Trundle and Graham Kavanagh.

Nice to read stuff like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Top posting there JPM, up to the usual standard
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I agreed with most everything except the part about Lee Trundle. He just doesn't offer us that much and he would take playing time away from the likes of Doyle and Elliot.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Great post JPM. Its amazing that in the short time since Kerr was sacked and now, a number of players have really come to the fore. Stephen Ireland looks real class, he had taken to the premiership like a duck to water. At the moment he is ready for international football. Another player to make huge strides in the last month or so is Joey O’Brien. Although he has been playing at right back, his assurance on the ball and distribution is excellent for one so young. He will eventually become a fixture in centre midfield, where his ball-winning prowess will be better suited. The third player is Kevin Doyle, although its only in the championship. He has surprised everybody with the ease in which he has taken the step up. Coppell brought him in as cover for the highly rated Lita and Kitson, and he has become the No 1 striker at Reading. He will improve even more. The sooner the better the new manager is appointed and these young players can be blooded at international football before the competitive games start next year.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Absolutely JPM. I've been equally optimistic, subject to the next year being used well, in other threads. Failure to qualify was a wrench alright but those paid to put forward their outlook for the future would be well served to look beyond their noses to see what good things are actually happening.

I've said my piece on what I think should happen over the next year but the only thing that tempers my optimism that a new, good, era is about to begin is the FAI.

Not sure Trundle is the way forward though. I'd like to see a move made to get Liam Lawrence & Neil Kilkenny into the fold, if they're eligible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Liam Lawrence is eligible and had been trying to get a call up from Kerr even before he moved to Sunderland, I'm not sure about Kilkenny, I think I heard that he was eligible, but playing for England was his preference
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    As far as I know Kilkenny played for us then switched sides. But was this just declaring a preference (most likely under pressure from that cnut Bruce) or did he actually play and hence make him ineligible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with you there JPM. Lawrenson’s another one, far too pessimistic, although I think it’s a bit of the poor mouth, he surely can’t think things are that bad. Yes they’re not all world beaters, or all playing well, or all getting games but we’ve rarely had so many experienced top-flight players, and we’ve a lot more than many other countries have.

I’m not too worried about central midfield or attack at the moment, we’re currently a bit short but there are plenty lining up for a chance. Not entirely convinced about Elliott, he’s put in some good performances but the last thing we need is another forward who rarely scores but Morrison and Doyle can hopefully do the job. I’d like to see Trundle given a chance. He’s strong, creative and scores lots of goals, which has included teams from higher levels in various cup matches.

The big worry is central defence though. Fine we’ve got Dunne, and O’Shea can possibly do a job for us, but I’m not convinced about O’Brien or Doherty. Does anyone know if any of the youngsters are ready to step up yet?
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think O’Brien will be fine, whether he can play along with Dunne is another issue. Neither one is a real organiser. One player who might make it is Paddy McCarthy of Leicester. When he was sold by Man City to Leicester, Keegan said he had no doubt that McCarthy would go on to become a regular performer in the premiership. Another possibality for the future is McShane of Man U, who is at present on loan at Brighton, too soon to make a call on him though.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Nice post but way too optimistic. Even though there is some promising players coming through at their respective clubs that doesnt mean they'll be international class players. Remember Stephen McPhail and Thomas Butler to give two of many examples. Even Willo Flood. Lot of people on this forum were calling him the next superstar this time last year. Correct me if I'm wrong but Flood seems to be out of the international frame all together now. Realistically our starting eleven for the Euro qualifiers will be similar to what Kerr has picked. It not like Kerr didnt try to bring new players in - he did have over 40 different players in his squads during his time in charge - so he can't really be acused of not trying to bring new people in.

My starting eleven for the euros would be as follows:
    Given
    Finnan Dunne O'Brien O'Shea
    A. Reid S. Reid Miller Duff
    Keane Morrison

Daryl Murphy isnt, by the way, ever going to be international class (unfortunately).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that's a bit pessimistic (although I take the point on the likes of McPhail). As much as I quite liked Kerr I don't agree that he gave new players a chance. It needs more than 1 game here, or 10 minutes there. He seemed to prefer having a small squad and playing those players out of position rather than giving someone else a chance. How many positions did Kilbane and O'Shea play in? Central midfield for example, in the end with Kilbane needed on the left and Keane injured we were a bit short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The moving around of Kilbane and O'Shea really just reflects where the team is weakest, that is, central midfield and left full. O'Shea has been playing poor for a number of seasons now but he still is the best option at left full. Clive Clarke could possibly be an option but he's nowhere near getting into West Ham's matchday squads. Richie Byrne at Aberdeen might also be any option and Harte of course. However even the most optimistic must agree we are weak in this position and are going to be for some time. The same goes with central midfield. I'm no fan of Kavanagh so he's not an option for me. Kilbane and Holland are past it and Keane has retired. Taking those four players away and we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for quality midfielders. All in all it understandable that Kerr kept to playing a small group of players because, at the end of the day, is there any player that can honestly fell aggrieved about not getting a game/chance under Kerr? I hope Ireland can be a player for us but he's too young for us to be resting our hopes on him already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101
    Daryl Murphy isnt, by the way, ever going to be international class (unfortunately).
    Bit harsh to say that only after one game, where he did acquit himself rather well, in the face of vastly superior opposition. I'm not saying he should replace Duff on the left or O'Shea/Harte at left full but he could be a useful squad player, give him a chance

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ifk101 i think you're being way too pessimistic. I remember when McCarthy took over. He had a lot less to play with then the current crop.
    There seem to be a lot of young players just breaking through now and a some older lads who may still rebuild their careers.
    And who knows there may be one or two who qualify under the granny rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    . Richie Byrne at Aberdeen might also be any option

I don't think he's even close to the standard required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All in all it understandable that Kerr kept to playing a small group of players because, at the end of the day, is there any player that can honestly fell aggrieved about not getting a game/chance under Kerr?
    McCarthy could have used the same excuse and not bothered to blood players until they’d forced their way into the side but he brought many through earlier than they probably would have expected, and probably raised a few players club profiles by giving them international experience. Kerr should have done the same. Was just checking on eleven-a-side, McCarthy’s team against Switzerland 3 years ago:

Given, Kelly, Harte (Doherty, 87), Cunningham, Breen, Holland, Kinsella, Healy, Kilbane (Morrison, 61), Duff (Butler, 83), Keane.

I can’t believe we’ve hardly moved on in that time. He’s only brought through Reid and Elliott. Fine there maybe no outstanding players forcing their way into the team but there have been a few playing well in spells who deserved a chance: Miller, Potter, Partridge, Mahon, Connolly, McGeady. Just to have had more options in the squad would have been nice.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hither green
    He’s only brought through Reid and Elliott. Fine there maybe no outstanding players forcing their way into the team but there have been a few playing well in spells who deserved a chance: Miller, Potter, Partridge, Mahon, Connolly, McGeady. Just to have had more options in the squad would have been nice.
    An international manager cannot "bring through" players. He can only work with what he's got. Miller he gave every chance to; Partridge is warming his behind on the bench at Hillsboro; Mahon wasn't and still isn't a regular at Wigan and had the worst international debut of any Irish player ever, Connolly has failed time and time again at international level; McGeady had lost his place in the Celtic team. I don't think any blame can be attributed to Kerr here.

He had a reasonably good squad of players to work with and he just didn't get the best out of them. That unfortunately is the truth of the matter. To me his most bizarre decision was moving an out of form John O'Shea from full back to a pivotal roll in midfield in the last game despite the presence of Kavanagh on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Mahon wasn't and still isn't a regular at Wigan and had the worst international debut of any Irish player ever
    I can't remember Mahon's debut - wasn't it one of the US Cups? Either way he'd have to go some way to beat John O'Shea's debut. Came on about 5 minutes, gave away a penalty in injury time to deny us a win against a fairly strong Croatia side. Didn't play again until after the World Cup IIRC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast