Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All over for top of the flops?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question All over for top of the flops?

Now that UCD have, with some style, dumped Shels out of the league cup, farcically re-engineered in a futile effort to give them another route to the Setanta, that should be it for the season. Barring a Cork and Derry blow-up in the league and a collapse in form from other clubs in the distant chasing pack, they'll win nowt (as tunefully predicted in Tolka last week ).
    But do you think the powers that be are done doing Ollie & Co. favours?
    Will the FAI be too embarrassed to open yet another back door for the most expensive flops in Irish football? I don't think so, but I'd like to think that talking about it might just make it less likely ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Cork and Derry to be fined 20 points each.

"The FAI have slammed Cork City FC and Derry City FC for being too far ahead of Shelbourne FC in the Eircom League. As this is against Rule 57 paragraph 2 in the leagues handbook that states Shelbourne FC should always win the league, the FAI are left with no other option than to fine Cork City FC and Derry City FC by 20 points each."

You could see it happen couldn't you???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They'll declare us champions as despite a superb title race we're all anyone wants to talk about anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    Will the FAI be too embarrassed to open yet another back door for the most expensive flops in Irish football?
    Shels will finish third and the FAI will announce tha they didn't mean to introduce the 12 team league until next season and therefore think that the only fair thing to do is to remove the top two teams and place them on top of the First Division.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    If Derry win the League Cup they'll have a chance through third place in the league if they can secure that. Even then Cork or Derry could also win the FAI Cup extending that to 4th place. It's not entirely over for Shels yet but they'll have to be praying for their enemies to win the cups.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Shels will finish third and the FAI will announce tha they didn't mean to introduce the 12 team league until next season and therefore think that the only fair thing to do is to remove the top two teams and place them on top of the First Division.
    Is this after colluding with Aertel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    They'll declare us champions as despite a superb title race we're all anyone wants to talk about anyway
    Ah yes, I can hear them down at Merrion Square...

Untrained FAI Monkey in a Suit: "Morning Ollie, what's the problem, you look even redder in the face than usual?"

Ollie: "CHOKE CHOKE"

Untrained FAI Monkey in a Suit: "Must be a result of all those cigarettes, ah well - as a get well soon present let's give them the League title - sure it's the only way they'll get anything this season"
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Cork Win the League and Derry come second or Vice-Versa and one of them wins either the League or FAI Cup, should the Setanta place not go to the beaten finalists of the cup???

I remember back in the late 80's when Dundalk beat us in the FAI cup final to complete the double, the cup winners cup place was given to Derry.

Would the same thing for the Setanta not be the fairest way to do it??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    IMO the Setanta Cup should go to CL & Uefa Cup qualifiers (this includes FAI Cup runner up if required). I think only LC winners should qualify, if they've already qualified through other means then should go to next best league placing.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I'd go for the top 4 in the league only to qualify for Setanta with cup losers only qualifying for Europe in the event of the cup winners getting CL or UEFA Cup spots.

The eircom League is too small and weak give consideration for the League Cup winners in my opinion. It's a bit of a nuisance competition that used to serve the purpose of getting player suspensions out of the way but now is just a day out for fans of teams in the final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But surely the added bonus of a Setanta place, even though it's come too late for most, is something that gives the league Cup more meaning and worth.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    But do you think the powers that be are done doing Ollie & Co. favours?
    Will the FAI be too embarrassed to open yet another back door for the most expensive flops in Irish football? I don't think so, but I'd like to think that talking about it might just make it less likely ...
    Wouldn't be particularly shocked, afterall they won one league title in the corridors of Merrion Square rather than on the field of play....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstic
    But surely the added bonus of a Setanta place, even though it's come too late for most, is something that gives the league Cup more meaning and worth.
    Fuk that. Why should the League Cup attain more meaning or worth? Like I said, Irish football is weak enough as it is without having it spread even thinner by promoting another competition to importance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo
    Fuk that. Why should the League Cup attain more meaning or worth? Like I said, Irish football is weak enough as it is without having it spread even thinner by promoting another competition to importance.
    Then why have the League Cup at all???

Something tells me that if your team were still in the league Cup, it'd be a different story!!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Then why have the League Cup at all???
    Beats me. I say scrap it.

Something tells me that if your team were still in the league Cup, it'd be a different story!!!!
    Wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to agree that the LC is a bit of a lame duck. top 3 in the league plus cup winners would be a better system, but at least having 3 ways of qualifying gives the smaller teams a chance - the question then is should we be helping smaller teams to qualify or ensuring that the big teams only go forward. IMO having the LC and FAI Cup spot could help clubs like UCD or Longford take a big step forward by providing a decent cash injection.
    Last edited by bigmac; 23/08/2005 at 2:17 PM. Reason: server went down so was just repeating what others said
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I think the Setanta Cup place for the FAI Cup goes to the league if the winners have already qualified (the UEFA Cup place doesn't though). The same will presumably be the case for the League Cup place.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Wouldn't be particularly shocked, afterall they won one league title in the corridors of Merrion Square rather than on the field of play....
    OH! And it wasn't even a Pat's fan..
    Ní neart go cur le chéile...

Keith

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    Then why not scrap the Santy cup ?? The league cup was there first in all fairness. U21 players won't get a decent chance in any competition if you scrap the League Cup.
    If thats the significance of the league cup then it should remain but not have a significant prize for the winners.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    Then why not scrap the Santy cup ?? The league cup was there first in all fairness. U21 players won't get a decent chance in any competition if you scrap the League Cup.
    Bohs U21s are getting a great run out every week thanks to the injury crisis... who needs the league cup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast