Page 100 of 128 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Hopefully Rovers put in a decent performance but focus appears to be on drogs on Sunday.
    Jack Byrne should start, so that combined with hopefully a relaxed attitude from the opposition will hopefully see a tight enough game.
    Great experience for the young lads in the squad to be playing at this level of competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    I expect a strong starting 11 for 45 minutes then at least 3 subs at half time and 2 more at 60 minutes or so. Bradley held towell back from the first leg so he could play high against Dundalk so I would expect him to start this time and miss out against drogs.
    I'd take a respectable loss tonight and a win against Drogs but tbh I'm not that bothered. Looking forward to the draw tommorow morning and hoping it's not a damp squid of tough unattractive ties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Couldn't care less what happens tonight, the tie is over & the rest is window dressing. With the group qualification assured its crucial now that thoughts turn to domestic competition with the Drogheda game, lose that and there's no safety net of other games to fall back on in that competition. Drogheda have already beaten us up there & beaten the next best team there twice (IIRC) so they are most definitely to be taken seriously. I suspect sbgawa is spot on re: loads of subs to allow the squad time to recuperate for Sunday. No point going gung ho & winning tonight, losing the tie & then getting knocked out of the cup on Sunday, yes we could win both games but IMO the chances of defeat on Sunday are increased if we overcommit to winning a dead rubber tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Byrne still needs minding yet, it'd make sense tome to bring him on for a last 20-25 mins regardless of whats gone on, and then start him v Drogs for 60-70mins. Small pitch so not much stretching the legs but theres real guile meeded to crack the Drogs defence at home. They are well fit for the battering ram approach or balls in over the top, and there's limited chances to really use the wing backs effectively. So centre-mid creativity beside someone who will do the leg work tracking back. Drogs can smother and kill a game when they are really up for it at home and its not just Dundalk that have struggled there. The cup is all thats left to them so could be prepped for having a damn good go on Sunday. I would normally say that under the circumstances going out of the cup would be no disaster with ECL games - but to make life a bit easier on the stress levels in the run in we want the top three to progress. Just have a feeling this could be a real banana skin for Rovers.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 25/08/2022 at 7:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky Blinder View Post
    Couldn't care less what happens tonight, the tie is over & the rest is window dressing.
    Kenny's Dundalk were bold and ambitious. Do Rovers have the ambition to qualify from their ECL group? A difficult task for sure but tonight is an opportunity to try and setup for those difficult challenges coming down the track.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Besides the new stand. What are the upgrades to the main stand that will bring the total ground up to Cat 4?
    Presume it's more VIP areas, hospitality areas, extra media desks and more commentary positions, second TV studio needed for cat 4 as well.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Since Shams game is a dead rubber, the Linfield game might be more interesting. Live on BBC 2 NI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Kenny's Dundalk were bold and ambitious. Do Rovers have the ambition to qualify from their ECL group? A difficult task for sure but tonight is an opportunity to try and setup for those difficult challenges coming down the track.
    The group games are a different kettle of fish, though the group dynamic will be key to realistic ambition. The draw tomorrow will be very interesting as the teams drawn from pots 2 & 4 are key to how realistic qualification is. Either way I'd be hopeful we'll not go into the groups happy to make up the numbers and will try to be at least competitive.

Tonight's game is a dead rubber though, there is simply no way a 4-0 deficit will be overturned, and that's got nothing to do with ambition, that's just professional practicality. Avoid total embarrassment whilst giving yourself the best chance to win in the cup on Sunday in a game that is far more winnable in terms of progression. We have injuries and despite what some like to think here the squad isn't 'that' strong so resources need to be managed. I think the vast majority of Rovers fans respect that.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Is the league season going to have to finish on the Sunday because of Rovers in Europe?
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I think its sold out as anecdotally i have been hearing that there are plenty of Ferncavaros fans working in Ireland you might see a degree of mixing in the East especially.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    I think its sold out as anecdotally i have been hearing that there are plenty of Ferncavaros fans working in Ireland you might see a degree of mixing in the East especially.
    I remember when Ireland hosted the u17 Euros in 2019 there was a TON of Hungarian fans at each game, possibly the most followed side in the tournament. Hungary might not be necessarily our largest diaspora but it definitely seems to be the one that comes out in force when their nation or club sides play.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Is the league season going to have to finish on the Sunday because of Rovers in Europe?
    All sounds a bit GAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Would have thought so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Rovers last Match is at home to UCD.
    If the title and relegation play off positions were settled Rovers and UCD might be happy enough to play on the Friday assuming the Thursday match was at home or maybe just the Rovers UCD match could go back to the Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    Ludogorets gone to ET with Zalgiris. They haven’t been that good since the 1st leg vs Rovers. Maybe they are not as good as that 3-0 result suggested.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,266 Posts
    Shkupi with a player sent off in the first minute in Kosovo. They're 2-1 down from the home leg and that's probably tie over. A strongly-worded internet post is on its way no doubt

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    If I was in Dublin on the night i'd certainly have considered going and would actually be neutral. Yup tough time for Rovers indeed Genuinely though, while it would be fun to slag off a really heavy agg defeat, it does reflect on the overall league so respectable would be grand. As Ive said before, the longer a side can hang on in Europe, adjust to pace and stuff the better performances can get even against tougher opposition than early rounds. The champions pathway really does now help to give enough game time to help any player up their levels and can carry that in to another year - not always totally about improved ranking or better draw, at some level there is an element of player, team and coaching development imo. Not going to happen but trying some variation on the usual formation/player combos (young lads starting) in case its needed in the groups, if it were Dundalk it wouldnt bother me if it was a hiding but useful experience.
    Sure you're basically Hooperman at this point Nesta.

Yeah I'd agree with all that. It's basically a training match. Should see something different in midfield and up top but I'd say it will look close to first choice at the back.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Ludogorets gone to ET with Zalgiris. They haven’t been that good since the 1st leg vs Rovers. Maybe they are not as good as that 3-0 result suggested.
    Or we were just awful in the first half of the first leg.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Or we were just awful in the first half of the first leg.
    Probably a little of both.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    And CSKA who got past Pats by the skin of their teeth are still leading Basel with about 25 mins to go in the tie. Every match is different.