Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Scales D Celtic b.1998

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    re-read what i wrote and just wanted to clarify, i wasn't saying that i think that he's never going to be good enough, just that that was the consensus
    No worries, I thought you were clear, and right. The general perception was that he was out of his depth in Scotland so couldn’t be an option for us. I just thought he acquitted himself well enough in his first few games and the general perception was unfair.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Spent a long stretch of his career at UCD. Progressed onto Rovers. Onto regular SPL with Aberdeen. And now impressive performances for Celtic against Rangers and Feyenoord. Could be the case that he's developing and progressing through the levels. He has looked much more comfortable of late and that could be coming from confidence with his abilities and the pace of the game, which may have improved with the stretch.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Spent a long stretch of his career at UCD. Progressed onto Rovers. Onto regular SPL with Aberdeen. And now impressive performances for Celtic against Rangers and Feyenoord. Could be the case that he's developing and progressing through the levels. He has looked much more comfortable of late and that could be coming from confidence with his abilities and the pace of the game, which may have improved with the stretch.
    As much as the Celtic fans being dismissive of him and our league annoyed me, it is a fact that he had to step up a level or two. No surprise he had a few rocky patches but all things considered, if he is now at the pace of the game there after just a season, then he's done really well.

Still has to maintain the consistency but he finished the season well with Aberdeen and has carried that through to Celtic so that's really promising.

Still a step up to most international games from the SPL but he's at least worth a look.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 21/09/2023 at 5:19 AM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Nice to watch a champions league game with an eye on an Irish player. Thought he did well in the circumstances .

A travesty to give up a sucker punch like that at the end of the game but couldn't blame him for it.

Wonder if he's going to continue to play with CCV coming back from injury.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    Nice to watch a champions league game with an eye on an Irish player. Thought he did well in the circumstances .

A travesty to give up a sucker punch like that at the end of the game but couldn't blame him for it.

Wonder if he's going to continue to play with CCV coming back from injury.
    CCV at fault for the goal. I thought both Scales and Phillips were good. But you'd imagine Scales might end up being the odd man out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    I thought he was really good last night. Celtic Twitter was very positive about him. Defended well. He shows more courage on the ball than plenty of Irish midfielders have done down the years. One or two sloppy passes but overall his use of the ball was positive but sensibly playing it back to Hart or across to Phillips when needed. I'd go as far as saying he was absolutely integral to the type of build from the back / draw the press type of game Celtic tried to play. Lazio tried to play the same way too. The first 30 minutes was compelling imho.

I'd love to know how many touches he had and how many passes he made. I wouldn't be surprised if he had more of the ball than any Celtic player and I'd hazard a guess that he completed more passes last night than Ireland did in total in some games (e.g., Spain in Gdansk) or away to Denmark under MON.

I think he looks really confident too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    He had the highest rating for a Celtic player on the BBC thingy ~ How credible that is ~ I don't know.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Being honest I never thought Scales was good enough to make it at Celtic but I'm very happy for him to have proved me wrong. He's playing at a level that makes him impossible to ignore for celtic and Ireland.

With us playing 3 at the back his comfort in coming out to the left back area to snuff out danger is a real asset. I thought that system could have suited us well back in the days of Ciaran Clark, who was similar in that regard.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought he was really good last night. Celtic Twitter was very positive about him. Defended well. He shows more courage on the ball than plenty of Irish midfielders have done down the years. One or two sloppy passes but overall his use of the ball was positive but sensibly playing it back to Hart or across to Phillips when needed. I'd go as far as saying he was absolutely integral to the type of build from the back / draw the press type of game Celtic tried to play. Lazio tried to play the same way too. The first 30 minutes was compelling imho.

I'd love to know how many touches he had and how many passes he made. I wouldn't be surprised if he had more of the ball than any Celtic player and I'd hazard a guess that he completed more passes last night than Ireland did in total in some games (e.g., Spain in Gdansk) or away to Denmark under MON.

I think he looks really confident too.
    129 touches, Completed 106 of 121 passes(88%) according to sofascore
    https://www.sofascore.com/lazio-celtic/cXsZdb#11605899

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He had the highest rating for a Celtic player on the BBC thingy ~ How credible that is ~ I don't know.
    Rated 8/10 and described as 'imperious' and 'outstsnding' on Glasgow Live.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    we are known to fix a vote or two...

all that said, seems like he is having his breakthrough season. I dont think i have seen him play at all but hoping he can keep his performances up and his place in the team - we need options!

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Glad to see the scales have fallen from your eyes.
    Ahem.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I was very impressed and agree with Stutts that he was perhaps the most important defender in terms of Celtic playing that possession-based system so well for large periods of the match. Really great to see him kick on after initially seeming to struggle in Scotland.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Scales should be a lesson for us not to be writing players off at 21 or 22, some take longer to develop. Fair play to him
    Its really not that complicated!!!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts
    Fulsome praise from Rodger’s today….

Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    High praise indeed and well deserved

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    He along with the entire Celtic team have played a terrific half against Atletico this evening.

He did get fairly lucky with Witsel being inches offside for a disallowed goal but he's been very much up to Champions league pace.

Hopefully they can hold out for a result and get back in the qualification frame.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    He's cut out a shed load of habitual poor defensive mistakes and is definitely more comfortable playing alongside Carter-Vickers. He made only one glaring error this evening which wasn't punished.
    If it had been punished, would the glaring error have been upgraded to a horrific career ending error?

He's a classy defender in the making, a 'latish' developer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Has become the first Irish international squad member to give an interview in Irish:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12m0rsdy2r4

29. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    I know Bazunu was given MOTM but for me the only outfield player who looked like he belonged at this level was Scales. He's just so smooth and elegant on the ball. Commanding when needed and always looking for a positive pass. I think he dropped a notch after the head knock. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it affected him neurologically and maybe he shouldn't have stayed on.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/11/2023 at 8:12 AM.

31. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast