Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1620

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    865 Posts
    This fella is starting to remind me of an aul doler in a time of plentiful employment, then eventually he is made to do a bit & isn't able for it & starts on about the bad back.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    This fella is starting to remind me of an aul doler in a time of plentiful employment, then eventually he is made to do a bit & isn't able for it & starts on about the bad back.
    All of a sudden it makes sense why the Scousers love him so much.....
    Its really not that complicated!!!

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    The pass to a Toulouse player was an absolute howler and there's no excuses for that other than a total lapse of concentration which is entirely his fault. But interesting that this forum is the only place where he is getting stick for the goal. No match reports I've read have put the blame on him, nor have the LFC fans podcasts. If he'd come out, he could easily have been rounded in the way that the Toulouse keeper was by both Nunez and Gravenberch for the 4th Liverpool goal. Lawrence McKenna asks the question on his podcast re the goal - "would another keeper have saved it? probably not." This wasn't his greatest performance but nor was it a "nightmare." I know I'll get slaughtered for defending him, but so much of the criticism on this site is way over the top, and seems to reflect a bias in favour of a player who has come through the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    The pass to a Toulouse player was an absolute howler and there's no excuses for that other than a total lapse of concentration which is entirely his fault. But interesting that this forum is the only place where he is getting stick for the goal. No match reports I've read have put the blame on him, nor have the LFC fans podcasts. If he'd come out, he could easily have been rounded in the way that the Toulouse keeper was by both Nunez and Gravenberch for the 4th Liverpool goal. Lawrence McKenna asks the question on his podcast re the goal - "would another keeper have saved it? probably not." This wasn't his greatest performance but nor was it a "nightmare." I know I'll get slaughtered for defending him, but so much of the criticism on this site is way over the top, and seems to reflect a bias in favour of a player who has come through the LOI.

My criticism is purely based on his unwillingness to play regular football at the age of almost 25. The LOI angle is completely irrelevant

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Is that supposed to be a joke? Expected better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Is that supposed to be a joke? Expected better.
    Scousers are known for their great sense of humour i.e A great laugh.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    My criticism is purely based on his unwillingness to play regular football at the age of almost 25. The LOI angle is completely irrelevant
    Yeah, definitely not an LoI thing alright. You think back to Kelleher's debut against Hungary two and a half years ago - that was one of his most assured performances to date I think. If you'd told people then that 30 months later he'd still be bench-warming, we'd have not really believed it. And on Bazunu's side, he needs to stop conceding two goals a game even after dropping a division.

They're the issues with the keepers, not that one of them played a few games with Shamrock Rovers 4/5 years ago

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Travers just got recalled from his loan at Stoke after injuries to Bournemouth keepers, he could be the best of them yet

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    I'd give him the New Zealand game anyway. Was Serbia his last cap?

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Presume you’re messing mate.

The anti-scouse **** you get from middle England is basically anti-Irish racism and that is where it stems from. The most Irish city in the world outside Ireland. I lived all over England and the Scousers were the nicest people by far I met. Great sense of humour and very kind.

I’m not a Liverpool fan but the whole Gav/Kelleher debate is getting tiresome. It feels like it’s Liverpool fans vs fans of other clubs (mostly United I would wager) taking their tribal allegiances of English football out in an Irish football forum. I have a soft spot for both Everton and Liverpool because of the lovely people I met on Merseyside at a time when us paddies were second class citizens in London, Birmingham and Manchester, but ultimately the only team I give a **** about is Ireland.

We have two very talented young keepers who have plenty of mistakes in them. Let’s be grateful we have them and leave the silly petty allegiances at the door.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Presume you’re messing mate.

The anti-scouse **** you get from middle England is basically anti-Irish racism and that is where it stems from. The most Irish city in the world outside Ireland. I lived all over England and the Scousers were the nicest people by far I met. Great sense of humour and very kind.

I’m not a Liverpool fan but the whole Gav/Kelleher debate is getting tiresome. It feels like it’s Liverpool fans vs fans of other clubs (mostly United I would wager) taking their tribal allegiances of English football out in an Irish football forum. I have a soft spot for both Everton and Liverpool because of the lovely people I met on Merseyside at a time when us paddies were second class citizens in London, Birmingham and Manchester, but ultimately the only team I give a **** about is Ireland.

We have two very talented young keepers who have plenty of mistakes in them. Let’s be grateful we have them and leave the silly petty allegiances at the door.

Sound. I’ll second that and make a vow to leave my LFC loyalties behind in future posts. You are right about the origins of anti-Scouse prejudice being anti-Irish in nature. In fact when the Liverpool accent began to diverge from Lancashire accents in the mid-19 century it was disparagingly referred to as ‘Liverpool Irish’ and viewed as inherently alien and seditious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    The debate between Bazunu and Kelleher is nothing to do with an anti Liverpool sentiment, but it is most defiantly down to pro Liverpool sentiment on one side.

Irish Liverpool fans are delighted to have an Irish guy at the club. The argument over the last few years was that he was learning behind a very good goalkeeper and has a great manager who says nice things about him, and then he plays a handful of games each season, and thats enough for him to be picked as Irelands #1.

Those of us who are not Liverpool fans just want him to play. Personally I dont care who he plays for, I just want him playing regular 1st team football so we can have a like for like comparison between players that actually play football.

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Sound. I’ll second that and make a vow to leave my LFC loyalties behind in future posts. You are right about the origins of anti-Scouse prejudice being anti-Irish in nature. In fact when the Liverpool accent began to diverge from Lancashire accents in the mid-19 century it was disparagingly referred to as ‘Liverpool Irish’ and viewed as inherently alien and seditious.
    Being honest third policeman, I actually find the rivalry between the vast majority of Irish fans of English clubs really good natured and without the malice they have over there. Liverpool and United are two of the biggest clubs in the world, both with a rich heritage of Irish players. No problem at all with lads being into them. I actually would love to see us having players with them again like in yesteryear.

The problem I have is when lads bring tribalism into arguments about Kelleher. Should he stay at Liverpool. Arguments for and against. I personally think he should push for a 2 year loan to a very good club, so he can push to replace Alisson down the line. The argument for him staying is that Alisson is arguably the best in the world and incredible to learn from someone like him. Also, good chance that he could be called in at some point and has a chance of being in a title chasing team.

He was poor yesterday but he’s got the tools to be a top keeper imo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, definitely not an LoI thing alright. You think back to Kelleher's debut against Hungary two and a half years ago - that was one of his most assured performances to date I think. If you'd told people then that 30 months later he'd still be bench-warming, we'd have not really believed it. And on Bazunu's side, he needs to stop conceding two goals a game even after dropping a division.

They're the issues with the keepers, not that one of them played a few games with Shamrock Rovers 4/5 years ago
    Here we go again -

There are issues with every single player that plays in an Irish international game - from back to front there is a problem in every single position (even with Evan Ferguson because Kenny doesn't know what to do with him). In fact the only Irish player that you could argue has been punching above his weight in recent times is Ogbene - and despite grafting hard to make it to the PL (and he deserves massive credit for that), he is still far from the most talented player in the squad.

But you repeatedly come back to the goalkeepers, and specifically Bazunu - taking another swipe at him here. In the last seven games for Southampton Bazunu has let in 8 goals - and statistically - that is not two goals a game - it is a fraction over one goal a game. Of those 8 goals Bazunu should carry the can for one of them (the second goal against Preston last weekend). At the same time Bazunu made 3/4 really good saves during the same game to keep Southampton in the game. Southampton are getting better - the defence is getting better, but they still are not closing down the strikers outside the box who have all day to line up a shot (as with the first goal for Preston).

The Irish manager hasn't a clue what he is doing. No matter who is put into goal - the defence is such a shambles the goalkeeper is on a hiding to nothing. I would have zero issue with either Kelleher or Bazunu starting - they are both very good goalkeepers - better that most, if not all, of the past goalies who played for Ireland. At the moment I would play Bazunu simply because he is getting more game time and will continue to improve as a result - Kelleher needs to get out of Liverpool - either on loan or permanently.

There are far bigger problems to sort out with the Irish team than arguing about who is the better goalkeeper - starting with getting a manager who knows how to put a decent, organised team on the pitch.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Travers just got recalled from his loan at Stoke after injuries to Bournemouth keepers, he could be the best of them yet
    A disaster for Travers - he can't play this weekend or in the cup game against Liverpool - Radu is a decent goalkeeper and Travers could end up on the bench until Neto recovers from injury in four weeks time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Here we go again -

There are issues with every single player that plays in an Irish international game - from back to front there is a problem in every single position (even with Evan Ferguson because Kenny doesn't know what to do with him). But you repeatedly come back to the goalkeepers, and specifically Bazunu - taking another swipe at him here. In the last seven games for Southampton Bazunu has let in 8 goals - and statistically - that is not two goals a game - it is a fraction over one goal a game.
    Imagine talking about goalkeepers in a thread about goalkeepers! Who'd a thunk it, eh?

I've made the point about our general squad in the Stephen Kenny thread. But in a discussion about our two keepers (third policeman's comment about a pro-Bazunu bias because he came through the LoI), I'm not sure what you expect other than a comparison of our two keepers.

Southampton have conceded 24 goals in 13 games this season btw - about two a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    ’m not a Liverpool fan but the whole Gav/Kelleher debate is getting tiresome. It feels like it’s Liverpool fans vs fans of other clubs (mostly United I would wager) taking their tribal allegiances of English football out in an Irish football forum...
    Yes, those nasty Manchester United fans are clearly backing the ex-Man City player just to annoy you.

Could we cut out the ****e about people's motives, please? People have different opinions about the players, all of whom are flawed in some way anyway, and if you don't like that discussion then stop clicking on the relevant players' threads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's taken him 4 years to make an indefensible howler, for club or country. I'm sure most goalkeepers would admit that one howler every 4 years isn't a terrible record.

At least it didn't end up in the net, unlike what often happens when Allison or Bazunu have theirs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It's taken him 4 years to make an indefensible howler, for club or country. I'm sure most goalkeepers would admit that one howler every 4 years isn't a terrible record.

At least it didn't end up in the net, unlike what often happens when Allison or Bazunu have theirs.
    Hardly surprising when he plays as rarely as he does, and almost always in games that don't really matter in truth.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Yes, those nasty Manchester United fans are clearly backing the ex-Man City player just to annoy you.

Could we cut out the ****e about people's motives, please? People have different opinions about the players, all of whom are flawed in some way anyway, and if you don't like that discussion then stop clicking on the relevant players' threads.
    You obviously didn’t read my original post. I don’t support any English club. I like to see our lads playing at the biggest clubs and that includes both Liverpool or United.

Pretty obvious that a lot of people are either drawn to Kelleher depending on their allegiance and in Ireland, it’s going to be massively Liverpool and United. In the same way if Evan Ferguson went to United (or Liverpool), a fair chunk of Irish fans would begrudgingly like him rather than overwhelmingly love him if he was say playing for Real Madrid or Real Madrid. Always felt there was a bit of that with Keane, especially in the early days of Mick’s reign when there was a sense he was towing Ferguson’s line and equally the same stuff was labelled at Whelan, Beglin and Lawrenson in the 80s.

Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast