Thanked in
    448 Posts
    Signs a new three year contract.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    448 Posts
    Had a great game yesterday getting himself a goal and an assist while also captaining the side with Livermore on the bench. You also had Omobamidele putting in a good performance for Norwich Friday night while Duffy is still waiting for his chance at Fulham.

Don't think Duffy's starting place is underthreat next month, think Kenny will stick with the same XI that beat Scotland in June. If his situation is similar come March though Kenny will find it hard to justify starting a player who isn't playing if O'Shea and Omobamidele are performing for their clubs.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Duffy's starting place should be under threat. His performance against Scotland was border-line horrific and we have four younger, technically better, more mobile and more reliable CB's who should be ahead of him in the pecking order by now, if we're building for the future.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    O'Shea, Egan and Collins for me against Scotland. Duffy to come on only if we're chasing the game.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    448 Posts
    O'Shea, Collins, and Egan would be my back three but don't think Kenny will push Duffy aside for the games in September. Did it alright for the start of the last campaign but Duffy was probably in the worst form of his career and mentally not in a good place.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    O'Shea, Collins, and Egan would be my back three but don't think Kenny will push Duffy aside for the games in September. Did it alright for the start of the last campaign but Duffy was probably in the worst form of his career and mentally not in a good place.
    Duffy won't start. Don't forget lenihan and Andrew O

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    An issue we have is Matt Doherty and Seamus are getting zero football. I would still play Doherty at LWB. He's younger and has played well for us even with limited club game time. What to do with seamus and the RWB position? He wast great in the last window

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Duffy won't start. Don't forget lenihan and Andrew O
    Don't see Lenihan starting again unless there's another situation where we're missing a number of CBs and O'Shea would be ahead of Omobamidele in the pecking order imo.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Don't see Lenihan starting again unless there's another situation where we're missing a number of CBs and O'Shea would be ahead of Omobamidele in the pecking order imo.
    Sure and agreed. I think it will be Egan Collins and O shea. I was aluding to duffy having competition for first reserve

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    An issue we have is Matt Doherty and Seamus are getting zero football. I would still play Doherty at LWB. He's younger and has played well for us even with limited club game time. What to do with seamus and the RWB position? He wast great in the last window
    I don't think Seamus is first choice anymore. I'd keep Doherty on the right now, it's not worth moving him just to get Coleman in the team. McClean or maybe even Brady on the left (Stevens is another that looks done). At a push you could consider Omobamidele or O'Shea on the left as both have played left back at club level, but probably a stretch to ask either to play wing back.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I don't think Seamus is first choice anymore. I'd keep Doherty on the right now, it's not worth moving him just to get Coleman in the team. McClean or maybe even Brady on the left (Stevens is another that looks done). At a push you could consider Omobamidele or O'Shea on the left as both have played left back at club level, but probably a stretch to ask either to play wing back.
    So who are your wing backs?

Anytime Doherty played LWB hes being excellent. My guess is its easier to slot someone else in on the rwb position...but maybe not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think this is it. McClean/Brady at LWB (with hopefully Brady impressing enough to move straight in) with Doherty at RWB and Coleman as back up there.

O’Shea has actually played WB on both sides for West Brom.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    So who are your wing backs?

Anytime Doherty played LWB hes being excellent. My guess is its easier to slot someone else in on the rwb position...but maybe not
    Still Doherty and McClean for now. Coleman in the squad for bench impact - could give us a good half hour with Doherty switching across at that point. If Brady came back in and was flying in training he'd be a contender on the left. Especially as we don't really have a recognised set piece taker in the team these days - if it was a tight call between McClean and Brady I'd pick Brady for that reason.

Left wing back could be an issue for the next couple of years though, it's one position where there's no obvious younger player knocking on the door - Bagan and Adaramola probably quite a bit away from that level yet.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Can't say McLean would be my choice
    He is inconsistent at best. The ukraine goal was his fault. Brady sure but will kenny start a player on a competitive game that he hasn't gone near before?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    448 Posts
    Can't say McLean would be my choice
    He is inconsistent at best. The ukraine goal was his fault. Brady sure but will kenny start a player on a competitive game that he hasn't gone near before?
    Jamie McGrath made his debut away to Portugal and Brady was playing when Kenny first came in. Actually played the first 11 games of Kenny's reign. Only issue being Kenny mightn't see him as a WB and could chance his 3-4-3 again with Brady playing as one of the two supporting the striker.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Jamie McGrath made his debut away to Portugal and Brady was playing when Kenny first came in. Actually played the first 11 games of Kenny's reign. Only issue being Kenny mightn't see him as a WB and could chance his 3-4-3 again with Brady playing as one of the two supporting the striker.
    Wow.. brady played 11 games under kenny?!
    Mu bad... I thought he was in the Shane long not for me catorgy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Duffy well down the pecking order for me. If Kenny want to persist with attempting to play from the back, the Duffy cannot play another game while he’s in charge. He’s simply terrible on the ball… solid defender and big threat in the opponents box of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Duffy's starting place should be under threat. His performance against Scotland was border-line horrific...
    Startling assessment. Duffy set up the first goal, which set us on our way in that game and he marshalled the back line well. Despite the misguided view that he is lucky to complete a pass at all, his passing accuracy was actually the highest of the three CBs that day too. There were two hairy moments that he got away with, but they did not define his performance against Scotland. The thing that will count against Duffy is not his ability to play football, but his game time at club level. He needs to get into the Fulham team and stay there.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    It's probably only fair to point out that the "two hairy moments" involved putting John McGinn clean through on goal twice and on another day would have cost us the game.

Much as I admire Duffy's commitment and effort I'd rather we learned the lesson from the day we got away with it rather than waiting until it happens again and we aren't so lucky.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Agree with that. I suspect his passing stats include a number of 5 yard passes to the other CB's.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast