Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady interview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son
    It's not racist per se to question immigration policies. If someone is honing in on one group then that's fine to point out the defficiencies but calling someone racist just because they think there is too much immigration to Ireland is untenable.

Read my post again. I said when somebody is been racist. I did not say that questioning emmigration policies is racist in itself but it is possible to be raciest while questioning emmigration. I have come across it many times that people start off behind the banner of been concerned with emmigration policies and the future of the economy etc but soon drift of in to racist babble. At no point did I say it was not valid to question emmigration policies or that the questioning in itself is racist. It is quite useful to question but as the person said above most econimist say that it is vital for growth in the economy.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reading that census is sobering reading. What a massive change in less than 10 years. Some may view this as a good thing whereas some see it as a bad thing but the change is profound.
    Sorry Fergie's Son but do you only pop up when this subject comes up? I haven't read any posts from you since your assertion that Muslims were set to become the dominant group in France in the next 20 years or whatever it was.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    We had better get used to it. Without wishing to get too political, if this country doesn't change sharpish, the next few decades will see a rash of talented kids playing around Dublin and then getting to 18 and declaring for Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and the Ukraine.
    I don't think this will be a big issue, a lot of the workers coming from the new EU countries do not want to stay in Ireland/UK longterm. Most are just here on a short-term basis. The majority want to go back to their own countries. Anyway, you can't be bitter, plenty of 2nd generation Irish have done/will continue to do the same for us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    I don't think this will be a big issue, a lot of the workers coming from the new EU countries do not want to stay in Ireland/UK longterm. Most are just here on a short-term basis. The majority want to go back to their own countries. Anyway, you can't be bitter, plenty of 2nd generation Irish have done/will continue to do the same for us.
    Sorry Kerr's Tribe, maybe you misread my post. I was saying that if the country doesn't become more inclusive of those coming into the country, it's not going to be pleasant and not just from a sporting context. What do you think I said? I thought I was fairly straight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Sorry Kerr's Tribe, maybe you misread my post. I was saying that if the country doesn't become more inclusive of those coming into the country, it's not going to be pleasant and not just from a sporting context. What do you think I said? I thought I was fairly straight.
    Oh right, fair enough Donal, sorry my head is up my arsse, I am ill with the cold, my head is thumping!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    Oh right, fair enough Donal, sorry my head is up my arsse, I am ill with the cold, my head is thumping!
    No hassle, get well soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    cheers, !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy
    Most economists will tell you its essential for continued economic growth
    And many say that it is not. That it leads to wage-deflation and pressure on services such as health-care and infrastructure. George Borjas of the Kennedy School of Business (Harvard) is a (if not the) preeminent labour economist.

He points out that mass-immigration of unskilled labour hurts economies a lot more than it helps them. Indeed, he doesn't even get into the social costs invovled. Do be careful with saying that just because an "economist" says it is the right thing to do that it automatically means that it is the right thing to do. These are the same people who brought us the gold standard, junk bonds and derivative trading!
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Interesting reading:

http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~GBorjas/FullBio.html

He's a cuban immigrant himself. Both the Economist and the Financial Times are starting to quote him regularly.

And Donal81, maybe you need to think about the issue rather than focus on the number of posts I have. France will, according to the Econimist, have a majority Moslem population in 2050 (I was incorrect with the year).given current birth and immigration rates.

PM me and I will try and scan the article and send it to you.
    Last edited by Fergie's Son; 06/05/2005 at 6:58 AM. Reason: Adding the correct URL

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting reading:

http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~GBorjas/FullBio.html

He's a cuban immigrant himself. Both the Economist and the Financial Times are starting to quote him regularly.

And Donal81, maybe you need to think about the issue rather than focus on the number of posts I have. France will, according to the Econimist, have a majority Moslem population in 2050 (I was incorrect with the year).given current birth and immigration rates.

PM me and I will try and scan the article and send it to you.
    Believe me Fergie's Son, I think about the issue all the time as well as speaking with those involved with small businesses in Ireland. These guys would crumble in a week without immigration - they would have no staff. The Economist has made a prediction 45 years from now: what does that mean? The Economist has gotten it wrong in the past (vehemently behind war in Iraq - threw themselves in behind the Bush administration only to question motives after the war began...Nice one, lads). And even it that is the case in France, so what? If you start getting into national identity and culture, you're on shaky, shaky ground. Ireland was militantly Catholic and Irish-speaking 150 years ago. 45 years ago, you couldn't buy condoms and women had to stay at home if they got married. Culture and identities change - they have to. I'll PM you now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    The Economist: the most consistent contrary indicator of house prices in the last deacde!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And many say that it is not. That it leads to wage-deflation and pressure on services such as health-care and infrastructure. George Borjas of the Kennedy School of Business (Harvard) is a (if not the) preeminent labour economist.
    perhaps you could explain how wage deflation occurs in a minimum wage economy. If it were doctors and lawyers wage deflation would be no bad thing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And Donal81, maybe you need to think about the issue rather than focus on the number of posts I have.
    Its kinda difficult to focus on the issues when the only posts you seem to make are a result of the immigration issue. Makes one wonder what your agenda is, perhaps you could clarify this for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    how about talkin bout football...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yep your right

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    how about talkin bout football...
    Not this again...You don't have to read it if you don't want to!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    thats just bull. ya have to read the thread to see wat its on about. and i openned the thread as it was titled "aiden mcgeady" little did i know it would contain far more bullsh*t regarding useless political and racist arguments/discussion. there are areas where u can discuss this but surely not on the football board, thats common sense

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry mate but there's loads of talk here about Aiden McGeady. If things go off-topic, who cares? Sport/politics/culture, etc, are all linked and would it not be extremely boring if all that was ever mentioned here was pure and utter football, ignoring elements that make up its attraction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    i get your point and yes it would be boring and thats why theres other rooms. you know wat i mean tho

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy
    perhaps you could explain how wage deflation occurs in a minimum wage economy. If it were doctors and lawyers wage deflation would be no bad thing.
    Minimum wages simply aren't enforced. There is a minimum wage in America but illegal labour has obliterated it. The minimum wage in California since 1994 has fallen by more than $1 and that takes inflation into account. That is a disastor for the working class. You can't have an endless supply of cheap labour and expect wages to be stable or even to increase. The business lobby wants cheap labour because it lowers their fixed costs which is good for them but bad for the economy. Put another way, cheap labour hurts the poor the most because it introduces even more competition. It emmasculates the unions and increases the burden on basic infrastructures from health care to the school systems.

It's a short-term answer that helps neither Ireland or the immigrants themselves or the countries they came from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast