Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bohs,Shels,Cork hold their own in scot prem?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bohs,Shels,Cork hold their own in scot prem?

Personaly i think there is two hope's... slim and none!
    but leave it up to you !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I think they'd finish third, just behind the Old Firm clubs...
    I honest to god think that after a setteling in period they would defo hold there own against the likes of hibs, hearts, livi, dundee etc.... might take a season or two but after that couldnt see a problem.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads give me a break, as a very big fan of spl and el im sorry to say very few teams in the el prem would beat killie, livingston, dundee/utd, or the somewhat mid table teams, i think that in a few years maybe but as this league (el) grows it is going to more or less turn into a mini sctos prem. where for shels to stay ahead of cork they will be buying big name(for the el that is) players instead of using the 21's (vice versa)therefore the rest of the teams in the leauge will suffer.
    When they have a full squad 20 full time players WORTH THE MONEY. and more than 2-3 thou fans going weekin weekout home and away will the be able to aford to get to this standard. Personaly i think they would be mid table 1st div spl team and the best!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The performance of non Olf Firm SPL teams in Europe has been pretty poor lately.

Dunfermline were beaten by an Icelandic team this season and a few years ago Bohs beat Aberdeen.

Hearts have been a bit better the last 2 seasons.

I think the top 2 in the EL would make a good stab at avoiding relgation from the SPL.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    thats possible conor, but i cant see 1st of all hoe you can slag off the scots leauge, when your a fan of the kdl, and second of all when your a fan of the loi, ever hear of the saying peopl in glass houses cant throw stones.

Any way the kdl leauge is shokin, the top teams in the lsl would chalange a lot of teams in the el prem now there's a thread to start. Glenmore, and the likes would with out doubt hold there own in the el prem.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGHOOP
    Glenmore,
    didn't city beat them 9-0 a few years ago......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    didn't city beat them 9-0 a few years ago......
    Yea our strikers had an off day. Kept the score down
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    When EL clubs have come up against Scottish Clubs in Europe (excluding the Old Firm) our record has been excellent (where it counts, competitively).
    When EL clubs have come up against the Old Firm Clubs in Europe our record has been no worse than that of Livingston, Inverness, Aberdeen against them in the SPL (usually lost, the odd draw, never outclassed though).

In recent years, our standard has improved while you could argue that Scottish football hasn't, the old firm now relying on players from outside of the SPL. Hearts have done well to get to the Group stages of the UEFA cup, but at that level they've been found out, Shel's are already close to that standard, if not at it.

Players like Noel Hunt who did reasonably well in the EL are reported to be doing reasonably well in the SPL, definitely not suffering for a step-up in standards.

Shels, Bohs and Cork would hold their own with the SPL also-rans, little doubt about it in my mind.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Conor,

I watch all Celtics games home and away!!
    I go to about 6-7 games a season, and a few friendly as well.When Celtic are on a Sunday, I will listen to a game on the radio. so I know my stuff.
    Hibs possible have two of the best strikers in the league and they would destroy any loi team.. killie have a goal scoring machine in boyd who would also do damage. Forhan has scored but only a cpl and most of them penos so point proven?
    What I have to say to the post in here lads is that fair play to you for sticking up for the league and so on
    but to do well in a league you cant just go out and do "well" against a team in Europe it must be done week in week out
    and im afraid lads I just don't think that the for mentioned teams can do that! If that's the case and we go one one match games
    well nearly every club has can say they are great.. sure look at my beloved Celtic last night!! drew 1-1 with arguable the best
    team in the world at the moment dose that mean Celtic are almost the best team in the world??? No even I can say there not anywhere
    near that!!!! have I proven my point yet??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGHOOP
    have I proven my point yet??
    No.
    You can really only draw conclusions from competitive games. EL -v- SPL games in Europe over the last ten years have shown that we've progressed to a level where we can compete with them.

If Shels and Hearts had been in the same UEFA group this year, they'd definitely have been the bottom two, but I doubt there'd have been much between them, Shels have proven this year that better clubs couldn't beat them in Dublin (four Euro games, not a once off), Cork the same albeit in the inter-toto.

Before you discount that point, remember that Celtic have built their European reputation on their home games, last night was their first CL away point.

You're suggesting that they couln't hold their own, implying they'd be relegated. I don't buy that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    This is crazy talk. I'm a season ticket holder at Hibs, and a 500 club member at St Pats Ath. There is no way they would compete against Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen. No doubt this is all from Celtic armchair fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    A few games between eL and SPL teams over the last few years that spring to mind are Pats Vs. Celtic, Bohs Vs. Aberdeen and Shels Vs. Rangers. Not one eL team was outclassed what so ever, Pats drew in Celtic Park !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS4EVER
    There is no way they would compete against Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen.
    Yeah, but the question was 'would they hold their own in the SPL'.
    So I ask, would they compete against Inverness C, Dundee, Dundee United, Dunfermiline and Livingston? I reckon they would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Cork and Bohs would definitely not be good enough for it, Bohs will be lucky how they cope in EL next season with all the players they're losing. Shels would have a chance against the smaller club with there new signings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've been involved in discussions like this before on this site and really at the end of the day it is only a matter of individual opinion. No point in getting too heated because none of us can prove our points.

My own opinion is that Shels and City and would hold their own. I don't think they're better overall than the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen but they are more than capable of beating them on any given day. I think a mid table finish would be about right IMO.

I would have said Bohs too but the way the performed this season and the fact they've lost important players now decreases their chances I think.

The rest of the EL Prem would be about the 1st division standard IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    well said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Shels and Cork City would easily do quite well in the SPL and would probably only be inferior to the Old firm.

I'll reserve judgement on Bohs because they might not be as good as they were next season.

Small clubs like Longford, Waterford, Pats etc. would struggle big time in the SPL.
    Champions!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's preety clear that the big eL clubs would be far from out of their depth in the SPL. Take the recent eL v SPL games, take recent Scottish and Irish performances in Europe and take Noel Hunt and Juan Sara.

The only evidence I've seen to the contrary is 'I go to every SPL and eL game ever, so therefore I'm always right and I say eL is ****.' It's preety clear these guys are into the SPL for 'real' football and the eL through patriotism, therefore they'll be believing the media bolox which has the English league as best in the world, then a raft of big European ones, then the SPL and the eL as the very bottom league in the world. Obviously this is bolox and their argument has no basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Do people really think bohs are going to be that bad next season? They'll challenge again. no doubt about it.

one or two new signings, farrlley sorts it out a bit. where are the bohs fans on this one

as for spl...

couldn't really say but whe I get back I'l be buying season tickets for hibs and probably heading to a few hearts games as well .. if and when I'm home I'll drop by a few ucd games for good measure. migth be able to give a more informed opionion then

if I'm guessing now thought I'd suggest cork and shels might manage mid-table bt that would be the most we could hope for. bohs 10 days ago would too.. depends who farrelly brings in now.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For a start no EL club would be allowed anywhere near the SPL. The EL is light years behind the SPL facilities wise. Even the worst ground would be better than anything over here.

EL clubs getting decent results over SPL teams in the past in Europe is no indication of how well EL clubs would do. Smaller clubs always try raise their game in Europe. Playing in a League week in week out is a different matter altogether

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast