Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend fixtures 27/28/29 July

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Rudimentary win for Rovers.
    Sligo came for a draw, and got what they deserve. Poor 1st half, but 2nd half only one team wanted to win. Watts was the best player on the pitch -thanks bozos.
    Onwards.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Rudimentary win for Rovers.
    Sligo came for a draw, and got what they deserve. Poor 1st half, but 2nd half only one team wanted to win. Watts was the best player on the pitch -thanks bozos.
    Onwards.
    He is a good player alright , your fans seem to have deserted you though.
    With your dwindling crowds you will be hard pressed to keep paying his wages .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    It was like being at a friendly game there tonight. Shocking atmosphere.

As for the game thought we did well first half and should have scored the chance that hit the bar but second half only one team looked like doing anything.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Down from Dublin for the weekend, first MF game since the win over Bray, was expecting a fairly straightforward Waterford win, went more just to pay-in and help the team.

Two minutes in, Wearen off, had my view obstructed by a pillar, presume it was last man back not helped by some mouthing off. Tremendous save from Holland.

From there, was stunned by how well Limerick played, actually passing the ball around when they had it and not hoofing at every opportunity. They had to give Waterford space, especially on the right - Hutchinson should have been a critical player, but wasted a lot of great positions - and it worked out with the penalty at the other end (too far away to see it clearly and give a judgement). The Waterford red I initially thought was going to be a second Limerick sending off. I hope that since he went off with assistance and without the stretcher it might not be too bad. Terrible coming together however it was.

Hery's equaliser was maddening, with Limerick getting sucked in to an early attack and leaving so much space at the back. Hery just kept coming on and coming on and the Limerick defence kept backing off and backing off, waiting for the lay-off, until Hery was past the penalty spot and just had to kick it into the gaping net. Thought that was the beginning of the end, and Waterford had so much ball, so many corners, so many chances and half-chances, they should have put us away. At least one decent penalty shout for a trip on Akinade too. Paul Keegan had so much space in midfield, he was running the show for Waterford, and they missed him when he was subbed.

Duggan's winner was incredible, can only presume the Waterford goalie saw it too late. He was a bit off his line too. Obviously too far away to comment too much on that last Waterford chance, they all seemed certain it had crossed the line (and the corner it came from, looked like it hit a Limerick hand on the way out). Limerick lost out to officials last week, this week was different.

I wouldn’t even say Limerick were all that good. A lot of determination shown, from Duggan, Fitzgerald and Holland especially, others were not so good. Maguire and Ellis were criminally slow before both were brought off, Coleman looked like he was playing with an injury. But they held on, riding their luck big-time. This group of players, this club, needed a result like this and they gave it to us.

Just over a thousand in the gate, would have been more but for the weather, but still a decent crowd. A good proportion of it were Waterford fans, maybe 150/200?

I don't want to under estimate what this night meant. More distance from Bray, just a win away from Sligo and outright safety. More than that, it was an enthralling game of football that serves as a reminder that Limerick FC should exist. We can't let this club die, not with nights like these.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Good post ^^^ passion in it/
    you probably NEVER FELT BETTER after watching the match.
    Good luck to Lims for the rest of the season,decent club,good skins down that direction.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,349 Posts
    Shades of 2015 about these Limerick posts..

Let's hope it ends in a similar fashion, as I do believe UCD have effectively wrapped up the First Division title. Barring an awful collapse, they should win it now, being 7 points clear with five games to play.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    It was like being at a friendly game there tonight. Shocking atmosphere.
    I brought along a German mate to the rovers match tonight. He's a regular at Dalymount the last couple of years and even though he admitted that rovers set up is far superior in almost every way to Dalymount he said Dalyer has something Tallaght doesn't - a soul!
    Although you have to take into account how sickening it was for him to see Watts absolutely running the show for Rovers.
    Tallaght is actually a brilliant venue when you think about it. Perfect transport links with the Luas line and excellent accessibility by car. Hundreds upon hundreds of parking spaces. Shopping centre only 2 mins away with lots of restaurants etc, There are bars and hotels closeby. The ground is modern, and still expanding.
    But it was just so flat tonight.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Very poor crowd in Tallaght, suppose poor opposition and on TV didn't help but still poor, and the football didn't exactly inspire those that were there. Sligo were poor, I'd be very worried if I were a Sligo fan especially with Limerick winning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Flat atmosphere tonight , did people expect a routine win after the AIK and Waterford games??
    On a great run of form at the moment hopefully will continue. Great win for limericks tonight Sligo and bohs need to be careful

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Was a fairly even game for the most part but couldn't say it was an unfair result either.
    Worst atmosphere I can ever remember against Shams. Small enough crowd and those who were there very quiet. I suppose when your season is over its harder to get too excited and not like ye are pushing for a title either. Still though I remember some great times the last time we were sh1t when ye were in Tolka.
    Atmosphere has been poor for the last few games Sligo have played here. Sligo are good at taking the tempo right down and we're still not good enough to dictate things when decent teams do that. Poor attendance too, which I don't understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Only 1 win in 5 now for Waterford so we are struggling to hold on to 3rd place with Shamrock Rovers only 1 point behind and in much better form. Great report Never Felt Better. It sounds like we were in hard luck again but we can't blame luck alone for our recent form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Very poor crowd in Tallaght, suppose poor opposition and on TV didn't help but still poor, and the football didn't exactly inspire those that were there. Sligo were poor, I'd be very worried if I were a Sligo fan especially with Limerick winning.
    Looked to be only 1500 - 1800 at it, if even. Shams really should have higher crowds than they get. Their league average attendance isn't much better, circa 2,500. Still, solid win last night, unbeaten stretch growing nicely.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 28/07/2018 at 8:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Shades of 2015 about these Limerick posts..

Let's hope it ends in a similar fashion, as I do believe UCD have effectively wrapped up the First Division title. Barring an awful collapse, they should win it now, being 7 points clear with five games to play.
    3 wins out of 5 games against Cabo, Cobh, Harps, Drogs and Longford required. Only teams who could conceivably catch us by now would be Drogs or Harps but they'd need to win 100% of their run in. Harps also have the disadvantage of a poor goal difference.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Fair play to the students. It's even more impressive when you hear that this year they've gone 100% with scholarship students - absolutely no outside players at all. Last year it was 90% apparently, and they felt they could improve team ethic if every player was in exactly the same situation i.e. on scholarship. I think it was a brilliant move, and clearly they're reaping the rewards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Don't know the circumstances, but Thomas Byrne is a head case and a loose cannon. Always seems to be on the verge of getting a card, either red or yellow. Shame, as he is a serious talent. He really needs to sort his head out though.
    None of us were sure what happened with the sendings off.
    Ball went out for a Pat's throw, whilst in the box a City player went down. Que a red card (maybe to Byrne), a bit of handbags, and two more reds. Didn't seem to be a whole lot in it really. We'll have to wait for the replay on that one.

On the match itself, we were ok. Just ok. Pat's were slightly the better side, though a draw would have been a fair enough result. Both teams were missing chances they really shouldn't have been.
    Needless to say, Pat's should have had the three points with the penalty. Lovely to see Killian Brennan, of all people, have it saved. Atmosphere was buzzing after that.
    Pat's came very close to scoring then, Ryan Brennan's shot was blocked on the line, but we went up the pitch and scored.
    Patterson, in typical form, barely celebrated, gave the finger to someone (maybe the bench), and sauntered on off he pitch at FT without engaging the crowd, not even shaking Shiels's hand. Classic Rory.

Second time this season we've stolen the win from Pat's at the Brandy. Harsh on them, any other time, they'd have got at least four points from those games.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Pat's came very close to scoring then, Ryan Brennan's shot was blocked on the line, but we went up the pitch and scored.
    Patterson, in typical form, barely celebrated, gave the finger to someone (maybe the bench), and sauntered on off he pitch at FT without engaging the crowd, not even shaking Shiels's hand. Classic Rory.
    I get the impression that you consider his behaviour in a positive light almost as some sort of admirable laddish affectation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    I don't know much about Patterson. I take it this type of thing is commonplace for him?
    Always thought he was a very good CF whenever I've seen him. Is he not an automatic starter these days??

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Two minutes in, Wearen off, had my view obstructed by a pillar, presume it was last man back not helped by some mouthing off. Tremendous save from Holland.
    Wearen pulled his shirt, which can't be considered a legitimate attempt to get the ball, so he had to go. If he had tackled and flattened him, it would probably just have been a yellow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Harps win in Cobh to go joint second Mikey Place penalty the only goal of the game, that's 13 point's from 15 since the break and 5 clean sheets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Ref and lino unsighted and miss goal for Waterford in Friday's match at the MF

https://twitter.com/rayhibs/status/1023242147955437570

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast