Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCD 0-2 Drogheda United

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts

UCD 0-2 Drogheda United

Drogheda United recorded only their second win in 24 attempts in Belfield Park as Pete Mahon's side chose the worst possible time - a game many had down as the important first win of the season for the Students - to turn out a performance reminiscent of his predecessor's days. UCD were sluggish and unimaginative throughout, less than convincing in defence and Drogs took full advantage to record a comfortable win.

After just six minutes, the game was taking shape. The referee was content to let about anything go - a particularly late tackle on Gary Dicker early on should have merited an instant yellow card, while a couple of UCD tackles were also let off - while Drogs were already in front after defensive hesitancy from UCD. After being given two attempts to clear their lines, the ball came out to Finnish international Sami Riistila, who drilled home from 15 yards past through six UCD bodies and past Darren Quigley.

Not much changed throughout the first half. UCD could manage no more than aimless long balls, while Drogheda attacked with pace and Alan Mahon finally became the first name in the notebook when hauling down his man not far outside the area. The Students really only threatened on one occasion, when Alan Mahon curled a free kick from 25 yards a few inches wide of the far post.

At the start of the second half came a pivotal moment in the game. The Drogs defence failed to cut out a cross ball, Robbie Martin's shot was driven away, but only as far as Tony McDonnell, unmarked and six yards out. His shot was slightly delayed and too weak, but it still required a superb save from Dan Connor to turn the ball away for a corner. Had it gone in and UCD responded to the equaliser, who knows?

As it was, the game was over as a contest a few minutes later when former Student Gavin Whelan scored with a glancing header from a cross from the left.

UCD's second-half performance was marginally better than the first half - it couldn't really have been worse - and although they kept the ball on the deck more, they made no real progress against a physically bigger Drogheda side. It could easily have been 3-0 as Riistila smacked a shot off the post from outside the area, while a long-range Gary Dicker strike which sailed a foot or two above the bar was really as close as College came to a consolation.

Next up for College is a trip to Bray, who continue to surprise after adding a draw in Cork to their win over Pat's. College had the upper hand in their games against the Seagulls last season, winning three from four (including a League Cup game) and only coming away with a point in the other game atfer a last-minute equaliser from Bray. With a trip to Cork to follow, a win here is vital to finally kick-start the 2005 season.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, Shorthall, McNally; McDonnell, McWalter, Dicker, O'Donnell (Adrian Murphy); Martin, Dupuy (Anto Murphy). Subs not used - Gallagher, Kierans, Hurley.

Att - 738
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/03/2005 at 12:21 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seriously worried about the poor attendance. And last night's performance by College would have done little to attract new punters.
    Drogheda brought a few last night several hundred at a guess and the gate was still 738. There were more at the Cup game last season when we were a First Division side.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On a lighter note,I chatted with our injured player Robert McAuley after the game and he told me that he should be back in harness in 2-3 weeks which can only strengthen the side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Seriously worried about the poor attendance. And last night's performance by College would have done little to attract new punters.
    Drogheda brought a few last night several hundred at a guess and the gate was still 738. There were more at the Cup game last season when we were a First Division side.
    I don't know. You can assume that there were the usual 300-400 UCD fans there, which means the balance was Drogheda. For the Cup game, the Drogs brought about ten busses down - it was just a bigger game. We saw last year that the Bank Holiday weekends are very poor for crowds. And while we're not going to be moving off the bottom of the Premier attendances list (though hopefully we'll be moving off the bottom of the Premier sooner though! ), it's worth noting that in 2002, the crowd for the same game was 450, in 2003 500 and 600 and here 738. Obviously Drogs are bringing more away fans, but the home support is driving that figure up as well.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well Harpojoyce was missing in action for one ...
    So it is official our crowds v Drogheda in League matches are actually up! I take what you say on board about Bank Holiday weekends, I remember the Cobh match last August Bank Holiday weekend, worst attendance at Belfield Park for a League game in the guts of 10 years.

Amazingly some people have had a go at estimating last night's crowd... this will give you a bit of a laugh. A poster in Attendances 2005 said we only had 500 at the game. Charlie Stuart in The Star gave the attendance as 1,500. It is conceivable that 738 was the paying in attendance in which case you could probably add a few for season ticket holders. And don't forget the STIG and half-time draw sellers the people in the Shop and the Souvenir shop people are not included amongst the 738.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 26/03/2005 at 4:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts
    Well Harpojoyce was missing in action for one
    Think he's in Jordan at the moment? (The country, before the bad jokes start coming in...!) Was going to take in the Israel game, but political correctness took over...

A poster in Attendances 2005 said we only had 500 at the game.
    I saw that - though he did say that he wasn't at the game and was guessing completely...

It is conceivable that 738 was the paying in attendance in which case you could probably add a few for season ticket holders.
    Shakespeare was saying there were 450 adults, 100 season tickets and about 250 student admissions - that's 800. Add in the freebies as well and that's up to 850/900. So I'm just saying 738 because it's lower... I thought that the crowd was nearer the 900 mark myself during the game though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts
    Thread on the Drogheda forum about the match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Not to make excuses but there were two big Dublin derbies on that night as well which kind of ruled out the possibility of picking up fans of those clubs for the night or other interested neutrals.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Poor Student

Yes that may have been a factor but it indicates what level our base hardcore support actually is. I know a few of our regulars may well have been missing because of it being Easter . But what are we talking about?
    A maximum of 50 extra might have been there I would say on the night in question !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Poor Student

Yes that may have been a factor but it indicates what level our base hardcore support actually is. I know a few of our regulars may well have been missing because of it being Easter . But what are we talking about?
    A maximum of 50 extra might have been there I would say on the night in question !
    It's hard to say isn't it? I remember talking to some Pats fan (quite a weird chap) at a game last season and he for instance seems to check us out when Pats were away and we were home. I think our true hardcore support are the 150 or so who turned out to see us against draw against Limerick 1-1 in the ****ing rain last season. That took the kids out of the equation, the neutrals, practically no away fans leaving only our own fans in the equation and then the weather and quality of opposition left those who will turn up to probably anything involving us.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    It's hard to say isn't it? I remember talking to some Pats fan (quite a weird chap) at a game last season and he for instance seems to check us out when Pats were away and we were home. I think our true hardcore support are the 150 or so who turned out to see us against draw against Limerick 1-1 in the ****ing rain last season. That took the kids out of the equation, the neutrals, practically no away fans leaving only our own fans in the equation and then the weather and quality of opposition left those who will turn up to probably anything involving us.
    We also happen to be a lot of fans of other Dublin club's 2nd favourite team and we get a few regular Bohs, Rovers, Pats and even Bray fans in Belfield when their teams are in far flung places like Derry, Stranorlar or even Carrrrrk!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One of us that would have made it down was in Tel Aviv, so that should boost the regular home numbers by about .001% for the remaining games!
    "I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"
    Townsend on McGrath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Shakespeare was saying there were 450 adults, 100 season tickets and about 250 student admissions - that's 800. Add in the freebies as well and that's up to 850/900. So I'm just saying 738 because it's lower... I thought that the crowd was nearer the 900 mark myself during the game though...
    I wouldn't take the 738 figure as gospel. I rushed counting the crowd a bit so it's likely to be a bit off.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I must say from the snippet of action on eL weekly the defending looked very shoddy. It looked to me like an off day as we were solid in that department last year. Although our defence is moved around to shore up the absence of McAuley. Can't believe Tony Mac didn't put that one away, but oh well. I guess the Bray game will be a real acid test for us.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I got out to see the game on Friday Nite. I thought it was a poor game against Drogheda. I was there with about 7-8 mates. I was trying to get a few of them involved as in to go to a few more games aswell but they werent overly impressed with this one. I'll have to pick a better one for them next time.
    I thought Dicker had a reasonable game though. He will be a big Key player this year.
    The 2 Centre Halves for Drogheda were never in danger because every pass up to Robby and Damo was pumped into the air giving them no chance. I dont think either of them would say that they're best quality is in the air.
    "it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Can't believe Tony Mac didn't put that one away
    Aye...in fairness, he hit it much better than I gave him credit for, which I suppose makes it a much better save too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colie
    One of us that would have made it down was in Tel Aviv, so that should boost the regular home numbers by about .001% for the remaining games!
    Don't think our average crowd's 100000!

Ya met one of the drunken 16-year olds then? Was he drunk?