Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Cork really overpowered Bohs in the first half. Home side much the better team for me tonight. Good to see a decent crowd at a LoI match, combined with that goal it gives a good image of our game.
    Actually quite a small crowd according to the Cork "declared" gate.Shy of about 15 k € at least.FAI agreed their figure and Bohs get shafted out of €5 k.Are things so bad financially down there or is it just the usual corrupt stuff? Bohs officials were freaking out but Cork had the FAI to back their crowd "figure".
    As for the match, Bohs couldn't deal with howitzers up the pitch from McNulty and our midfield didn't show up.
    Marginally the better team 2nd half but carrying too many underperforming players.
    Could see it was a goal from our end but doubt Doyle would have given it if the lino hadn't intervened.
    Sheppard had to be restrained by another Cork player from going down the Bohs end to goad fans after the game..Remarkable recovery for him as he could really have hurt himself with that dive at the end.
    Great away support and well stewarded by Guards and TC security.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    I have it even longer but even at .03% it is still in the 33000 to 1 that Cork and Dundalk would each win 16 match's in a row (exc finals obviously) and then avoid each other in the draw.
    Its mad Ted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    "We didn’t deal with the threats Cork in the first half and we know all about them. It’s quite direct and functional"

"It’s very, very basic and quite agricultural from back to front. They pick up second balls and have runners off them. We didn’t defend the ball in the air and the runners off it. It’s quite direct and functional. We weren’t surprised by it. We expected it, but just couldn’t deal with it."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...cultural-cork/

I thought Bohs dealt very well with Cork's long punting of the ball in previous games between the sides. However, last night they couldn't deal with the aerial bombardment. Was the strong wind a factor?

Not that Cork will care, four consecutive finals is a great achievement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    "It’s very, very basic"

So why didn't you deal with it Keith?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We comprehensively outplayed Bohs in the first half in every department. It pretty sour from Long to say otherwise. Played some direct stuff but mixed it up well and played in the Bohs half - pressured them high up the pitch as well never gave them a sniff - they had no answer.

But the wind did play a part in that and Bohs were always going to have more of it in the second. The wind played a part in the Bohs goal as well. No way he scores that going the other way.

Last night was a terrific response to the last few weeks. Manager , players , fans all stepped up and last night there was a terrific atmosphere in the ground. We will need 90 mins of that and some next month. However this is a squad with plenty of experience with no fear of Dundalk so while we will be underdogs we will go up there with some hope.

Fair play to the Bohs travelling support - a huge number for a Monday night and they contributed to the atmosphere. I'm looking forward to watching it back tonight.

As for the crowd - I would have said maybe 4,500 definitely not more than that - maybe a few hundred freebies brings it down to the 4,119 . There is no way we would fiddle gate money for the sake of what 1,500 quid? Not for me.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    We comprehensively outplayed Bohs in the first half in every department. It pretty sour from Long to say otherwise.
    Did he say otherwise?

All the quotes I have read from him acknowledged that they failed to handle the first half tactical approach from Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    As for the crowd - I would have said maybe 4,500 definitely not more than that - maybe a few hundred freebies brings it down to the 4,119 . There is no way we would fiddle gate money for the sake of what 1,500 quid? Not for me.
    Its well established that Cork are disinterested in the odd €1,500 here or there, but the allegation earlier was that the amount involved was multiples of that

Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Actually quite a small crowd according to the Cork "declared" gate.Shy of about 15 k € at least.FAI agreed their figure and Bohs get shafted out of €5 k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Its well established that Cork are disinterested in the odd €1,500 here or there, but the allegation earlier was that the amount involved was multiples of that
    The allegation was based on a fantastical number. There was no more than 4,500 at the game.

Edit. Read it wrong.

15k extra means that at an average cost of ticket €12 then the attendance was actually 5,450 - what the basis for that figure is - is any ones guess.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 09/10/2018 at 9:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Did he say otherwise?

All the quotes I have read from him acknowledged that they failed to handle the first half tactical approach from Cork
    He didn't way they were outplayed , he said they couldn't handle the long ball and were nervous. Fact is we completely outplayed them - long ball , short ball, on the wings and in the middle. The Agricultural jibe is sour.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Just to clarify the maths:
    Round 1, 32 teams. 31 possible opponents. 30/31 chance of avoiding each other, i.e. 96.8%.
    Round 2, 16 teams. 15 possible opponents. 14/15 chance of avoiding each other. 93.3%. Chances of avoiding each other in round 1 and round 2 is 93.3% of 96.8%, i.e. 90.3%
    QF, 8 teams, 7 possible opponents. 6/7 chance of avoiding each other, 85.6%. Chance of avoiding each other in first 3 rounds = 96.8% x 93.3% x 85.6% = 80%
    Semis, 4 team, 3 possible opponents, 66.7% chance of avoiding each other. So overall a 57.1% chance of avoiding each other for a season.
    Four seasons in a row that's 57.1% x 57.1% x 57.1% x 57.1%, a 10.7% chance. Unlikely, but hardly significant.

There's no need to make an assumption that there's a 90% chance of each club progressing, or anything else, we know there's a 100% chance that each club progressed each time as we're looking at past data.

It’s a mildly interesting phenomenon only because of the current Dundalk-Cork duopoly. It is considerably less noteworthy than the fact that Shamrock Rovers have never played Bray Wanderers in the FAI Cup, and UCD have never played Athlone. Neither of which are significant either.
    Last edited by seand; 09/10/2018 at 10:36 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    He didn't way they were outplayed , he said they couldn't handle the long ball and were nervous. Fact is we completely outplayed them - long ball , short ball, on the wings and in the middle. The Agricultural jibe is sour.
    If that is an acknowledgement that your earlier post was incorrect, I applaud you for it.

It was obvious to anyone watching, including Keith Long, that Cork dominated Bohs in the first half. The Cork work-rate and closing down of the opposition players all over the pitch was impressive

While I can understand some Cork fans being sensitive to the "agricultural" description, the Caulfield reliance on route one, long ball is well established - as you know your fellow Cork fans have been complaining about it on the Cork forum for some time, and some have even used the agricultural term to describe it. It was effective last night, hence Keith Longs frustration

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    In terms of contemplating how unlikely it is that the two teams would get to 4 finals in a row you have to consider the likelihood of them winning 16 rounds each as part of the spectrum of "unlikelihood"
    I actually think the credit both teams deserve for winning 16 cup rounds is diluted by the perception that it is just the luck of the draw that has kept them apart.
    It is an unbelievable achievement and is a thousands to one shot of ever happening again.
    If you asked Paddypower to give you odds on predicting the next 4 cup winners it would be in the range of 75 to 1 minimum and that would be if the favourite won every year at 3 to 1.
    I might be tired of it but I recognise it as an unbelievable achievement

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    "It’s very, very basic"

So why didn't you deal with it Keith?
    Dan Casey was badly missed last night to deal with Cork's hoofball tactics. Bohs youth & lack of experience played a factor last week and last night as they looked nervous in the 1st halves of both games and left themselves too much to do in the 2nd half last night.

While dundalk are not as goods this season as some of their previous title winning sides, they are still by far the best team in the league this year. Bohs would have been unlikely to win the final, but it would have been a great day out for the club and Bohs would have brought a big crowd thanks to all the work that has been done in the community by the club in the last few years.

Instead we have year 4 of Dundalk v Cork. I would encourage supporters to buy upper tier tickets for the final. It will make it easier on their necks watching Cork fire long high balls up the pitch.

Finally a word on Karl Sheppard. Is there a more spiteful, diving, horrible player or person in the league. His side has reached a cup final and he had to forcibly dragged away by his teamate to celebrate with his own fans as he wanted to "celebrate" at the bohs end.
    Last edited by wexfordned; 09/10/2018 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Dan Casey was badly missed last night to deal with Cork's hoofball tactics. Bohs youth & lack of experience played a factor last week and last night as they looked nervous in the 1st halves of both games and left themselves too much to do in the 2nd half last night.

While dundalk are not as goods this season as some of their previous title winning sides, they are still by far the best team in the league this year. Bohs would have been unlikely to win the final, but it would have been a great day out for the club and Bohs would have brought a big crowd thanks to all the work that has been done in the community by the club in the last few years.

Instead we have year 4 of Dundalk v Cork. I would encourage supporters to buy upper tier tickets for the final. It will make it easier on their necks watching Cork fire long high balls up the pitch.
    Yawn. If you want a different final, figure out how to beat one of us. We will be at our fourth straight final enjoying our day out and hoping to bring back a third straight FAI Cup.

Finally a word on Karl Sheppard. Is there a more spiteful, diving, horrible player or person in the league. His side has reached a cup final and he had to forcibly dragged away by his teamate to celebrate with his own fans as he wanted to "celebrate" at the bohs end.
    Karl Sheppard gets constant abuse from Bohs fans. If you can't take it from him don't give it out. Hes a legend. Look at the replies to his tweet yesterday. Dogs abuse about his hair and his rovers history. Childish stuff. You wish you had a player as good as him.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If that is an acknowledgement that your earlier post was incorrect, I applaud you for it.

It was obvious to anyone watching, including Keith Long, that Cork dominated Bohs in the first half. The Cork work-rate and closing down of the opposition players all over the pitch was impressive

While I can understand some Cork fans being sensitive to the "agricultural" description, the Caulfield reliance on route one, long ball is well established - as you know your fellow Cork fans have been complaining about it on the Cork forum for some time, and some have even used the agricultural term to describe it. It was effective last night, hence Keith Longs frustration
    Its one thing reading it on a football forum - another for a manager to say it. I thought it was unfair anyway, definitely sour of of him as well. Frustrated or not. His frustrations should have been to his own players. Its all well and good playing nice football in front of 1,500 people in a half empty dilapidated stadium - another thing to do it in the pressure cooker atmosphere last was night. Maybe Long should address that before having a cut off us for the way we are perceived to play. His own team didn't get a kick.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 09/10/2018 at 11:09 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I just don't really understand why Cork make things so difficult for themselves at times. There's a difference between a more direct but high and quick pressing game where men get forward and voluntarily limited "hoofball" and they were comfortably the better team doing the former last night only to descend into the latter and ended up looking a bit desperate against an inferior team on the night.

I understand that it can be difficult to maintain over the course of 90 minutes but the manner in which they retreat into their shell so often just seems unnecessary to me and invites easily avoidable danger. I don't think you can bemoan a team's style of play if it's working but in Cork's case they're managing to barely make it work when it could be far more comfortable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    There was a section of the St Annes End closed to put a barrier between the home and away fans, and there were a good few empty seats on the City side of it - It has a capacity of 2,720. I don't think it's a stretch to say it was half empty. Then you had empty seats in the other stands. I think this idea we downplayed the attendance is nonsense tbh.

And Shepp takes plenty of abuse from Bohs fans - they can't whinge when it's reflected back to them.

Great first half from us, if we can do that again in the Aviva we'll be in with a shout against a very good Dundalk side who will rightly be favourites.

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Yawn. If you want a different final, figure out how to beat one of us. We will be at our fourth straight final enjoying our day out and hoping to bring back a third straight FAI Cup.

Karl Sheppard gets constant abuse from Bohs fans. If you can't take it from him don't give it out. Hes a legend. Look at the replies to his tweet yesterday. Dogs abuse about his hair and his rovers history. Childish stuff. You wish you had a player as good as him.
    Sheppard wouldn't fit in to the bohs dressing room. His all about me/I'm the man attitude is in stark contrast to the team spirit in the Boh's camp. Admittedly none of our players are as good at the diving as he is.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Actually quite a small crowd according to the Cork "declared" gate.Shy of about 15 k € at least.FAI agreed their figure and Bohs get shafted out of €5 k.Are things so bad financially down there or is it just the usual corrupt stuff? Bohs officials were freaking out but Cork had the FAI to back their crowd "figure".
    Should have had your own people monitoring the home turnstiles ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    "We didn’t deal with the threats Cork in the first half and we know all about them. It’s quite direct and functional"

"It’s very, very basic and quite agricultural from back to front. They pick up second balls and have runners off them. We didn’t defend the ball in the air and the runners off it. It’s quite direct and functional. We weren’t surprised by it. We expected it, but just couldn’t deal with it."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...cultural-cork/

I thought Bohs dealt very well with Cork's long punting of the ball in previous games between the sides. However, last night they couldn't deal with the aerial bombardment. Was the strong wind a factor?

Not that Cork will care, four consecutive finals is a great achievement.
    It was very windy. Seemed to blow diagonally down the pitch.
    City had it in the first half.
    City played some lovely football in the 1st half but it was Bohs inability to deal with two long free kicks which led to both goals.
    We had a string of corners & free kicks in that first half but in fairness to Bohs they hung on in there.
    Bohs came out in the second half & with the wind really put it up to us but apart from Morris's wonder strike never looked like they would score another.

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast