Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    It will be another two weeks yet I'd say.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It will be another two weeks yet I'd say.
    Long enough for Obafemi to get injured...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Goals here https://twitter.com/theswanportal/st...841599490?s=21

Starting and scoring regularly in the championship, and still only 21. Needs to be given a chance

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Great timing forces kenny to bring him in when squad is announced to get him back on the fold.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Got to be in the next squad - he was the first of this crop of young strikers to break through and now, after a bit of a wait, he's the first one to put together an actual run of goalscoring form - and he only has ten minutes of international football under his belt. Time to give him a proper shot. I mean, what are we waiting for? Particularly with the Nations League campaign looking like it could be truncated, this could be the best time to get him blooded in before the Euro 24 qualifiers

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Hard to ignore now especially as the U21s option is closed off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Hard to ignore now especially as the U21s option is closed off.
    agree but if the 21s felt free to call him up (only for him to decline the call up) then cant help but thinking he isnt currently in the senior teams plans

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    That's not what happened. The discussion between Crawford and Obafemi was months ago before a previous squad. He was only asked about it this week. Crawford left it that the door was open and Obafemi could call him if he changed his mind, but he understands why he would want to hold out for the seniors given his ability level.

So there was no direct intent to call him to the Under 21s this week, other than that the door generally remains open if he is not with the seniors. Obafemi, I think, knows as well as anyone that he should be with the seniors so will not be taking up the Under 21 option.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    That's not what happened. The discussion between Crawford and Obafemi was months ago before a previous squad. He was only asked about it this week. Crawford left it that the door was open and Obafemi could call him if he changed his mind, but he understands why he would want to hold out for the seniors given his ability level.

So there was no direct intent to call him to the Under 21s this week, other than that the door generally remains open if he is not with the seniors. Obafemi, I think, knows as well as anyone that he should be with the seniors so will not be taking up the Under 21 option.
    Which all sounds entirely reasonable.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    That's one interpretation of fairly poor reporting from what I've seen but if it's true it's even less reasonable than him refusing a call up this week. The last squad would have been for the last Italy and Sweden games in November I think? He was struggling at Swansea at the time so it doesn't look great if he was afforded the option to play with the 21s and said no. Kilkenny was doing well in the Championship at that time and people wanted him in the senior set up. He was happy to play in the 21s when asked to though. Maybe I have the dates wrong though? Has he been offered a place on any squad during this little purple patch?

If he refused this week it's maybe more reasonable given he's finally found a bit of form but....I'm not even sure of that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    I hope I'm wrong, but i don't think kenny will pick him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Two more goals today. Whatever the issue is around his non-inclusion in the squad, it needs resolving. Our most productive striker playing at the highest level.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    good to see, hope those hammys stay healthy. he'd be an excellent option once fit and playing regularly. dont have any player with his profile up front.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I accept that Obafemi has had injury problems that he needs to manage, but if the issue really is a personal one between Kenny and Obafemi, as some would suggest, then it needs to be resolved as quickly as possible.

That being said, having heard what Stephen Kenny had to say on the matter to the media, I really don't believe he's at fault on this issue and has done everything he could reasonably have been expected to have done to have secured Michael's involvement in the squad for the recent friendlies.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I accept that Obafemi has had injury problems that he needs to manage, but if the issue really is a personal one between Kenny and Obafemi, as some would suggest, then it needs to be resolved as quickly as possible.

That being said, having heard what Stephen Kenny had to say on the matter to the media, I really don't believe he's at fault on this issue and has done everything he could reasonably have been expected to have done to have secured Michael's involvement in the squad for the recent friendlies.
    We don’t really know the ins and outs, but I suspect the damage was done a while ago when Obafemi was left out and Kenny made some comments about him not fitting in to a 443 system. It just didn’t ring true, about protecting the hamstrings. Let’s hope it gets resolved, he’s beginning to look like the best of the young striker crop.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Given O'Neill and Martin have also had to make some interesting comments about Obafemi and selection I'd guess the issues lie more with the player than any manager he's had so far. His social media activity and refusal to play for the 21s while out of form at club level would indicate an attitude that needs some time to mature I'd think.

A front three of himself, Robinson and Ogbene would be a handful so let's hope his form and fitness continues and he proves he is really committed to Ireland by taking his next call up.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 02/04/2022 at 5:31 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Im glad Nigeria didn't qualify for the WC
    No temptation to defect and play in Qatar

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Unless the three years since last appearing for your country only counts for senior appearances then he last played for the U21s only 16/17 months ago.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    I think Kenny and his club manager have been quite clear that the lad wants to play with Ireland and is trying to get a sustained run at club level. I think skepticism isn't unfounded but maybe unnecessary for now. Hopefully he's back in June and ready to go and that sounds like the plan.

26. Thanks From:

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast