Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Transfers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Bohs have signed striker Ryan Swan from Cabo, formerly of UCD and a brief spell with Exeter.

Interestingly, his dad also played for Bohs in the 90s.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...om-cabinteely/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Toner confirmed to Pat's from Villa - http://www.the42.ie/kevin-toner-to-s...61351-Dec2017/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    Pat's building an interesting squad already. They could be Euro contenders this year.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    Patrick McEleney completed his move to Oldham this morning according to Neil O'Riordan.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Gutted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Patrick McEleney completed his move to Oldham this morning according to Neil O'Riordan.
    I think this is a bad move. Oldham are in the lower reaches of League One and I don’t think McEleney will be given the time or leeway to succeed. I hope I’m proven wrong, but the slog of that level won’t suit him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I think this is a bad move. Oldham are in the lower reaches of League One and I don’t think McEleney will be given the time or leeway to succeed. I hope I’m proven wrong, but the slog of that level won’t suit him.
    Bad for McEleney, good for Dundalk. You'll be a better team without him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Bohs have signed striker Ryan Swan from Cabo, formerly of UCD and a brief spell with Exeter.

Didn't just play. Swan was a legend for Bohs.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    He's going to be a direct replacement for Jack Byrne who'll be leaving in January. Great signing for Oldham considering they took Byrne and allowed him get back into his groove.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Bad for McEleney, good for Dundalk. You'll be a better team without him.
    Perhaps, in the sense that he has been ineffective against Cork, who inevitably will be our rivals for the major honours.

But he has been immense in his time with Dundalk and is the leagues most talented player since Paddy McCourt mark 1.

His departure leaves Dundalk and the league less entertaining as a result

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Perhaps, in the sense that he has been ineffective against Cork, who inevitably will be our rivals for the major honours.

But he has been immense in his time with Dundalk and is the leagues most talented player since Paddy McCourt mark 1.

His departure leaves Dundalk and the league less entertaining as a result
    I disagree that hes the most talented. He might look fancy at times, but there have been lots of better players. Maguire for one. Forrester for another. Finn, Towell and O'Donnell for Dundalk over the past few years.

I suppose that comes down to a disagreement on the definition of talent but for me it doesn't just mean "skill" in one element. Sean Maguire is the most talented forward I've ever had the pleasure of watching for example, but I don't see him doing step overs or dancing around defenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I disagree that hes the most talented. He might look fancy at times, but there have been lots of better players. Maguire for one. Forrester for another. Finn, Towell and O'Donnell for Dundalk over the past few years.

I suppose that comes down to a disagreement on the definition of talent but for me it doesn't just mean "skill" in one element. Sean Maguire is the most talented forward I've ever had the pleasure of watching for example, but I don't see him doing step overs or dancing around defenders.
    It goes without saying that you disagree - you have nailed your colours to the mast many times over regarding McEleney.

Out of the 5 players that you listed, I would say that each of them have had more impact and have been more effective or influential in their respective clubs winning trophies.

When it comes to defining "talent" I am thinking more of players who entertain and are capable of producing outstanding moments of skill. For me, Patrick McEleney is the best this league has seen since Paddy McCourt in his prime
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 20/12/2017 at 9:33 PM. Reason: amending awful spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post

Just need Tim Dalton's son to emerge as a goalie and my username will be back in business.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It goes without saying that you disagree - you have nailed your colours to the mast many times over regarding McEleney.

Out of the 5 players that you listed, I would say that each of them have had more impact and have been more effective or influential in their respective clubs winning trophies.

When it comes to defining "talent" I am thinking more of players who entertain and are capable of producing outstanding moments of skill. For me, Patrick McEleney is the best this league has seen since Paddy McCourt in his prime

McEleney has more talent but the others more effective over a season I think is fair. McEleney for me is a chap who could win one or two players of the month in a season but not win player of the year as he goes hot & cold, this lack of consistency is why he has stayed in Ireland so long & ultimately joining such a low ranked side in Oldham

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Karl Moore signs for a 2nd spell with Bohemians from Bray
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    McEleney has more talent but the others more effective over a season I think is fair. McEleney for me is a chap who could win one or two players of the month in a season but not win player of the year as he goes hot & cold, this lack of consistency is why he has stayed in Ireland so long & ultimately joining such a low ranked side in Oldham
    Yeah strange move in a way for McEleney, but he was also a strange type of player at times, excellent in games v Drogs / Pats last year and goals too but not so consistently against the bigger clubs and he was disappointing against Cork in most. He had some brilliant games in Europe, at home to Rosenborg especially in the first half sticks out, and he did very well in the second half of the 2016 league winning season, but his inconsistency will be the frustration that a lot of Dundalk fans will also remember.

His move will offer a good opportunity now for Jamie McGrath who was very good in the no 10 role when McEleney was injured in the cup semi final replay away to Rovers.

Dundalk will be getting a new MF and another striker in, that might complete the squad then, but I`d also be taking back Georgie Poynton. He had a fine season on loan last year with Bohs.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Yeah strange move in a way for McEleney, but he was also a strange type of player at times, excellent in games v Drogs / Pats last year and goals too but not so consistently against the bigger clubs and he was disappointing against Cork in most. He had some brilliant games in Europe, at home to Rosenborg especially in the first half sticks out, and he did very well in the second half of the 2016 league winning season, but his inconsistency will be the frustration that a lot of Dundalk fans will also remember.

His move will offer a good opportunity now for Jamie McGrath who was very good in the no 10 role when McEleney was injured in the cup semi final replay away to Rovers.

Dundalk will be getting a new MF and another striker in, that might complete the squad then, but I`d also be taking back Georgie Poynton. He had a fine season on loan last year with Bohs.
    Kenny has stated he wants to keep him, I could see him ending up out on loan. Played RB for Bohs if I remember correctly, so if he cant get into Bohs Midfield, I cant see him getting in ahead of SOD/Shields/Benson plus whoever we sign

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Kenny has stated he wants to keep him, I could see him ending up out on loan. Played RB for Bohs if I remember correctly, so if he cant get into Bohs Midfield, I cant see him getting in ahead of SOD/Shields/Benson plus whoever we sign
    He might have done a job at RB if Bohs were stuck, but every time I saw him for Bohs he was in midfield. Sometimes he was on the right-side, but more of a tucked in RM than a winger. He always performed very well imo. A tireless worker, physically strong, good baller and good attitude too it seemed - real team player. Also seems to have freakishly deceptive speed. He's fairly chunky to look at so you wouldn't think he's all that fast but when he gets going the chap is like a rocket!

While he'd be an improvement on Clifford, he should probably try to get another year or two under his belt at a mid-table team instead of sitting on the Dundalk bench.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Poynton is very well regarded in Dalymount.For his sake I would like to see him getting his chance in Dundalk, but he would be welcome back on loan if not.
    Played RM for Bohs , Worth looking at CM role for him.Wouldnt see him as RB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk will be getting a new MF and another striker in, that might complete the squad then
    Depending on how the loan situations pan out, Dundalk have only 16 or 17 currently. Kenny likes a small squad, but I expect 4 - 6 additons

Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast