Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2017

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Twisting the knife? Dundalk fans threw flares at the firefighters because they were removing the ones thrown at the pitch,(looked like one was aimed at mcnulty)Disgusting behaviour, fai need to take action against these hooligans. Heavy fine and band dundalk fans from going to away matches for a start!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm still trying to get over the shock of seeing Campion score.Ecstatic though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Twisting the knife? Dundalk fans threw flares at the firefighters because they were removing the ones thrown at the pitch,(looked like one was aimed at mcnulty)Disgusting behaviour, fai need to take action against these hooligans. Heavy fine and band dundalk fans from going to away matches for a start!
    You're funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I'll be surprised if the attendance is more than 25k. I don't know what it's like in Cork but there doesn't seem to be same buzz in Dundalk as there was in the last two years. On top of that, the usual fiasco with ticket sales and next to no marketing by the FAI makes me think the attendance will be very modest. Whatever about the ridiculousness of the comments by both clubs this week, at least it's put the game in the news headlines so that may help.
    The build up was low key compared to other years with a whole load of nonsense taking up valuable column inches on the McNulty thing and Kenny claiming past players were disrespected, that should have been focusing on the more relevant aspects of the great rivalry between the two clubs over the last 3 or 4 seasons and may continue for a few more yet. I didnt hear an attendance figure announced which is unusual, though maybe i just missed it. I think it is completely daft to have the game on a Sunday, when a Saturday fixture would have added to the crowd especially from Cork. Its not as if there was a clash with some other code. The FA Cup is usually on a Saturday? It feels like it is almost a hassle for the FAI to do everything they can to try and build on attendances year on year for the FAI Cup. I know the crowd can grow or wane depending on who is in the final but really, if they want to generate more ticket sales to cover the cost of the day sort out the way tickets are allocated by ticketmaster, have the final on a Saturday, and dole out a batch of tickets for the upper tiers to schoolboy club all over the country. Not all will want them but why not. There were stewards hanging about in groups in the upper tiers anyway doing nothing. That and toughen up on certain fans only gaining access to blocks for which they have tickets - allowing sections of supporters ram themselves in to one or two blocks makes security a hassle where Gardaí cant get to someone acting the pr*ck as with the flares today and it looks cat to have blocks empty when in fact an entire area (behind both goals) was sold out corner flag to corner flag.
    The finger pointing on flares by fans of other clubs watching is a given and rightly so, we'd all do it, though the liklihood that fans of their own clubs are going to do the same if Cork and Dundalk let anyone break up the monopoly on the cup final is a certainty; but the organisers are not making it easy to properly police sections and it would take minimal enough effort to improve things for Dublin Fire Brigade, Gardaí, Stewards, and paramedics if needed in the crowd. Searches upon entering the ground fail year on year so do something different by being able to pinpoint the individuals who set off a flare, get to them and turf them out. Charge them with reckless endangerment too and clubs have grounds to ban them. Its the clubs that will be fined so they should be insisting on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Absolutely amazing. First double ever and how far we've come since we've taken over. Magic feeling.

On a side note, from the dundalk website:

In football, you don’t always get what you deserve. Today, the better team lost. It happens. We will move on.

#sportingrespect #classy

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    on a completely different point I had a pint in Paddy Cullens before the match and seen Neil Lennon having a quiet pint with someone.. Wonder was he looking at Pat McEleney? spotted ex Drogheda manager Harry McCue at it and saw ex town and shels player Damien Brennan there also in the premium box... Also great talking to the great Neale Fenn at halftime as he was on the buzzer to someone. wonder is he trying to get someone to sign for us?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Again for the slow learners among us, the the fire brigade personnel were encouraging them to be thrown to the pitch so they could be, as safely as possible, be extinguished. The best of a bad situation and risky for them but better, as they are equiped, than the flare remaining in some numbskulls hands in a very congested area. Note the regular times Na Gardaí moved toward where the flare were set off and pointed toward the touchline. Not that it matters on the 'by who' but flares landed in the goals at both ends. There was one hairy moment when it looked like a fire fighter was hit by one of the flares at the Dundalk end. None were aimed at McNulty and the closest a flare got to him was in front of his own fans. Did you not see him well in front of his 16 yard box as I'm sure he was considering the possibility that he would be a target. It didnt happen but that would be more good luck than 'good' behaviour.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Deserved win for Cork, congrats.
    Noticed someone with a high viz throwing a flare, what Nesta says above makes sense.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Gary Rogers to count here?
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Rogers was too quick to pick a side and made it easy for Cork.
    So that's a... yes?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Deserved win for Cork, congrats.
    Noticed someone with a high viz throwing a flare, what Nesta says above makes sense.
    I actually asked on the way out how the fire fighter that was hit was. We were out pretty quick and met some of the fire brigade and thanked them tbh as it wasnt a easy or safe job and they were saying that they were trying t get the flares out of the crowd. The resident shirtless 'cheerleader' was asked to to pass on the word to that effect it seems. That is not to say that there wouldnt have been an attempt to toss a flare as far as possible. The same sort of thing was being done at the other end too. So Im not just surmising to negate the whole flare thing or rising to Astrix's baiting.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Asterix - are you by any chance related to Hysterix ? Or Ballix ?

#FamilyResemblance

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Asterix - are you by any chance related to Hysterix ? Or Ballix ?

#FamilyResemblance
    I'm just repeating what dundalk fans were saying a few weeks ago when a rovers fan threw a flare on the pitch.

Funny how the reaction is different now. A rovers fan on here even said the guards told the lad with the flare to throw it on the pitch. The dundalk posters here didn't believe that though.

And oriel, the firefighter was hit more than once, it wasn't an accident. Getting them thrown at him for putting other flares in the bucket.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Enjoyable game. Cork on top for the first 20 minutes, Dundalk came into it after that and looked the more likely, although it took two incredible saves by Rogers to keep them in it. Cork dug deep to equalise. Why do goalkeepers dive early in penalty shoot outs? Two of Cork's penos went right up the middle. Delighted for Alan Bennet - a class act (unlike McNulty).
    (Incidentally - the programme was a shoddy effort. A lot of the articles surprisingly badly written and not much thought given to it at all).

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Enjoyable game. Cork on top for the first 20 minutes, Dundalk came into it after that and looked the more likely, although it took two incredible saves by Rogers to keep them in it. Cork dug deep to equalise. Why do goalkeepers dive early in penalty shoot outs? Two of Cork's penos went right up the middle. Delighted for Alan Bennet - a class act (unlike McNulty).
    (Incidentally - the programme was a shoddy effort. A lot of the articles surprisingly badly written and not much thought given to it at all).
    The strange thing is, in the league run-in, it was a similar story. We dominate for the first 20, and then fade out of it. Our formation was crying out for Shep to be moved out wide and a striker to come in. That didn't happen until Dundalk scored, which, in hindsight, is frustrating as we looked really dangerous when it happened. Shoot-outs are a horrible experience. I'm obviously delighted with the win, but I'm not sure I'd fancy going through that again. Unlucky Dundalk, there's clearly not much between the teams.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 06/11/2017 at 9:58 AM.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Disappointing yesterday from a Dundalk perspective, not sure we deserved to lose that but penalities are a lottery, and that's just the way it goes.

I was convinced we would win it in normal time but yet again so many players were not in top form, and thats frustrating, as is the tactic of keeping the ball, passing and passing yet not having a dangerous attack at the end of it. One of the key areas before the match was who to start on the right side, McGrath got the nod but he's better more central and never really got going, Benson and O'Donnell in the centre only really got into it in the second half, these were areas we needed to win early doors.

The next two months are going to be crucial as our squad definitely needs improving and some will inevitably leave, need to get the balance right, need to start much better too next season, but I think we should be in good shape.

Still a good day out yesterday, always nice to take kids to it and for them to experience the big match atmosphere, lunch out before the match and so on, bit of choker at the end mind, but can't win them all !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Enjoyed yesterday's game. Disappointed with the result but that's life. Congratulations to Cork you are deserving double champions.

Kudos to the Cork fans also for joining the minutes applause for foods. It was a nice touch. Not so for their fans pelting missiles on us when they equalised from the premium level.

On the flares and they are a disgrace (not great for an ashmatic like me). How can so many get through. Both ends must of had 20.

On our performance I thought McEleney had one of his better games against cork. Thought kenny if he was going to replace him would of gone for shields as we were still 1 up at the time.

Well done Cork enjoy your celebrations

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    On the flares and they are a disgrace (not great for an ashmatic like me). How can so many get through. Both ends must of had 20.
    I walked in with a jacket folded in my hand which I tried to hand to a steward who told me to keep walking.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A really draining game for both sets of supporters but I am obviously delighted with the result. I know a lot of City fans are gloating to Dundalk today but I don't like that to be honest. There are enough people slagging the league from outside without us slagging each other inside it. I suppose familiarity breeds contempt and we have been competing against each other for four years running now in the league including three years in the cup. McNulty didn't help I know but not all of our players are like that.
    Campion was the last person I would have thought would get us back into it after we went one down but he played to the whistle and took his chance well.
    Dundalk have played us twice since Maguire and O' Connor left and haven't beaten us in either game so I think that proves that the one-man team theory is not quite true with regard to City. A double is a really difficult thing to pull off so this has to go down as the best season in the history of Cork City FC.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    appropos not slaging each other , i think the Dundalk official statement that "the best team lost today" is way below the level you'd expect of an official statement.
    I expect/hope some relatively junior person put the final draft up , they need to change that.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    For me, yesterday was probably the most enjoyable of the 3 finals between us. More chances during the 90 minutes I think. It is amazing how so many flares can get past security there must've been over 20. Not nice to see them being thrown on the pitch putting the stewards and firemen at risk.

Thought we were done for after vemmelunds goal but we did well to get back into it. Credit to Campion carrying on when everyone else stopped and thought it was off side, still had Rogers to beat too, who was brilliant yesterday, pulled off some great saves especially in the 92nd minute.

Penalties is always and unfair way of settling a final but luck was in our side this time. How ironic Mcnulty was the hero after all the goings on during the build up. Big rebuilding job over the next few months with a few heading away, should be interesting.

Only too pleased to join in the applause for Foods, such a nice sight to see everyone taking part in that memorial

26. Thanks From:

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast