Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2330

Thread: Transfer Rumours 201X Season

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    There is probably a very good goalkeeper in the Liverpool Academy right now and yet if Liverpool sign Bazuna he is probably for the chop. its a ruthless business
    I think it was in When Saturday Comes recently that I read that top academies recognise they only have 2 or 3 genuine prospects, and the rest of the squad is essentially padding. Maybe they'll make it at a lower league club, but the academy doesn't care so long as little Messi has a half-competent goalkeeper on his team. Cos otherwise there'd be no games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    No you are right , Shane Robinson the Academy Director at Rovers was quoted earlier this year making that exact point to the Press.
    He said if your 16 year old kid was offered to go away to England to become an Apprentice Electrician you wouldn't consider it if there was an alternative here
    While I appreciate the sentiment, the truth is that football isn't just any other industry. The difference is, no parent gets stars in their eyes at the thought of their son going to the UK to become an electrician or a plumber. I think parents should employ their critical faculties more in those situations, but human nature being what it is, it's not surprising that people (both parents and kids) get seduced.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    It is hugely different though, when you look at it on a personal level rather than overall. After 10 years you might be looking at the same numbers overall, but when you look at the individuals, we should have far less kids going abroad too young, without a leaving cert, not making it leading to issues with self confidence and potentially mental health issues. They now have a viable alternative path that offers the chance to develop as a player and go abroad later if they're good enough.

It's an absolutely enormous difference for our young players, regardless of what the final numbers look like.
    Oh there are certainly benefits to the newly developing pathway, it will help players and help improve the league overall. I still stick by the point that in reality what will be formost in clubs' minds will be the potential revenue that the new underage setup might generate. Im sure they will talk up the merits of player retention in the game, education, maturity of player when moving abroad etc. But a young player that catches the eye of scouts from English clubs at 16, like Bazunu, will still likely go as an elite youth. Parents will still have heads truned by an Academy in Liverpool or Manchester. It is best of the rest that will benefit, the late developers, the kids with parents that think their kid is Lionel Messi mark 2 by keeping them grounded. Im sure the youth coaches might be invested in a players welfare but further up in the boardroom it will still be about return on investment if players move or they benefit the first team as there is a tendancy for players that graduate from youths to senior to be payed less than signings in (to around 23yrs is the general guestimate before the gap in pay closes) so a cheaper option and hence finance driven again. There may be a better and broader support system for LoI youth player in due course than schoolboy clubs but we shouldnt look down our noses at the schoolboy clubs like St Kevins et al as LoI clubs would be doing the same exploiting young players by selling them off to generate funds if they could up until now and the new system may just be a modified version of that thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    your almost as much of a cynic as me Nesta and for sure for all LOI clubs money has to be a part of all considerations (except you boys obv )
    The major thing that will make a difference is that if the likes of Bazuna played for a Schoolboy club he would be off to England already for 10k or even less he is still here because he has been with rovers for years and the English clubs would have to pay proper compensation for him.
    Hence if they bring him or others over it will be on proper contracts not just to throw them in to the Academy to sink or swim.
    Its easy to sign up 3 or 4 kids for 5k each pay then 150 quid a week and dump them in a couple of years.
    Its a lot more of a commitment to shell out a six figure sum and sign a proper contract.

Plus a LOI club being offered peanuts for a player in their first team or on the fringes are more inclined to turn it down as they have to sign a replacement.

If Rovers raise the bar for what young Irish players should command in transfer fees it will benefit all clubs

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The danger is, if kids think a club is likely to dig in and not let them move if it doesn't suit the club, they may not join in first place. Young lads want the cross channel moves, and having players move previously helps attract them in to clubs, which weakens clubs hands a bit, especially if the club next to you isn't as steadfast. But generally I think things are going in right direction with youth development here. More young players playing better opposition and with better coaches will help the game here and raise standards. It's expensive though, running underage 4 teams for clubs with very limited resources is a real challenge.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Isn’t it heavily subsidized by the FAI? The underage I mean? How much does an u15 LOI team cost to run approximately? Say 24 matches give or take, that’s 12 buses for away trips, possibly paying for pre/post match food, Physio, maybe paying coaches, rental for training pitches if needed, gear. Maybe 25k?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Even if it's 20k per team- 80k for a D1 one team, and a good few premier ones is serious money.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The danger is, if kids think a club is likely to dig in and not let them move if it doesn't suit the club, they may not join in first place. Young lads want the cross channel moves, and having players move previously helps attract them in to clubs, which weakens clubs hands a bit, especially if the club next to you isn't as steadfast. But generally I think things are going in right direction with youth development here. More young players playing better opposition and with better coaches will help the game here and raise standards. It's expensive though, running underage 4 teams for clubs with very limited resources is a real challenge.
    Well that's the risk you take, and ultimately you can only go on your track record. For instance, I doubt young lads in Derry are put off signing for Derry City because the club will demand a transfer fee rather than letting them go to Crawley Town for free.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treaty Gooner View Post
    Isn’t it heavily subsidized by the FAI? The underage I mean? How much does an u15 LOI team cost to run approximately? Say 24 matches give or take, that’s 12 buses for away trips, possibly paying for pre/post match food, Physio, maybe paying coaches, rental for training pitches if needed, gear. Maybe 25k?
    I think clubs get an FAI travel grant of about a grand for their underage teams. Not per team,l (19s/17s/15s) but overall.

20-25k is a reasonable estimate of the costs per team. Would vary by club obviously

And the 13s to come

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Bray will “reluctantly listen to offers” for all of their players. Not sure there’ll be a flood of offers coming in.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    There was an article a year or so ago saying rovers were doing all the right stuff,getting proper coaches, good facilities, good general organisation, proper contracts, help with education and all that but there was no point them doing that if all the other clubs don't follow suit and just take over from the schoolboy clubs in sending players across in droves for nothing cause all that will happen is English clubs will just allow rovers to keep their players and go somewhere else instead knowing that if the players do turn out to be any good theyll still be available for cheap in a few years since the overall price of players from the league wontt change at all, but if all the other clubs followed suit the domino effect would mean players across the league would be worth more

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    The better players at schoolboy level are starting to gravitate to rovers because of facilities and pathway. A 16 17 and 18 year old on the pitch against Derry.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    They could do what Athlone do and charge every kid 20 quid a week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    There was an article a year or so ago saying rovers were doing all the right stuff,getting proper coaches, good facilities, good general organisation, proper contracts, help with education and all that but there was no point them doing that if all the other clubs don't follow suit and just take over from the schoolboy clubs in sending players across in droves for nothing cause all that will happen is English clubs will just allow rovers to keep their players and go somewhere else instead knowing that if the players do turn out to be any good theyll still be available for cheap in a few years since the overall price of players from the league wontt change at all, but if all the other clubs followed suit the domino effect would mean players across the league would be worth more
    That's a fair observation, and sits with how I think things may not be that hugely different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Dundalk are closing in on the capture of Dylan Watts. SunSport has learned that the league leaders are now in pole position for Watts, a free agent following his release by Leicester City who impressed on loan with Bohemians.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-by-leicester/

Given O'Donnell being out for the season, this would be a very good signing. Dundalk are overly reliant on Chris Shields at the moment. An injury to him would not be easily covered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Bringing in Watts in addition to Kelly and McEleney is interesting. Dundalk are really only heavily reliant on one players form and fitness. Hoban would still be a key loss if anything happened to him for any lengthy period. The rest of the squad is largely replaceable at this point you'd imagine. Obviously theres a difference between losing 1 player and 3 or 4 players but that would be incredibly unfortunate.

I think winning the league this year is going to be extremely important for Cork City in order to prevent Dundalk getting in to the CL for another season as much as anything. If current trends continue I can't see us being able to compete for the title next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Bringing in Watts in addition to Kelly and McEleney is interesting. Dundalk are really only heavily reliant on one players form and fitness. Hoban would still be a key loss if anything happened to him for any lengthy period. The rest of the squad is largely replaceable at this point you'd imagine. Obviously theres a difference between losing 1 player and 3 or 4 players but that would be incredibly unfortunate.

I think winning the league this year is going to be extremely important for Cork City in order to prevent Dundalk getting in to the CL for another season as much as anything. If current trends continue I can't see us being able to compete for the title next season.
    Couldn't agree more with you El P if Dundalk win the league this year it could be a long time before anyone gets to challenge.
    On the other hand if they don't win it Kenny could be on his way as the yanks don't do sentiment,
    Given the likely domination to come i'll have to start cheering for you boys this season , might wait until Saturday though

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    There is little doubt that Patrick Hoban is a very important player for Dundalk although Michael Duffy is probably ahead of him currently in the POTY stakes. The signing of Georgie Kelly fills an important gap in the squad as the back-up was inadequate in that position. Stephen Kenny has always tended to replace some of his attacking players in the last quarter, but has been reluctant to sub out Hoban because of these poor options - this should allow him more options.

Dundalk are also heavily reliant on Chris Shields currently - and I would be concerned if any of Hoban, Shields, Duffy or Rogers were out for any length of time
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 04/07/2018 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    There is little doubt that Patrick Hoban is a very important player for Dundalk although Michael Duffy is probably ahead of him currently in the POTY stakes. The signing of Georgie Kelly fills an important gap in the squad as the back-up was inadequate in that position. Stephen Kenny has always tended to replace some of his attacking players in the last quarter, but has been reluctant to sub out Hoban because of these poor options - this should allow him more options.

Dundalk are also heavily reliant on Chris Shields currently - and I would be concerned if any of Hoban, Shields, Duffy or Rogers were out for any length of time
    I don't doubt those are key players I just think the gapp to their replacements is smaller. I don't think I've ever seen Kelly so will wait to reserve judgement on him. It can be difficult to step up to the Premier Division though so hes no guarantee to bang goals in right away.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oh there are certainly benefits to the newly developing pathway, it will help players and help improve the league overall. I still stick by the point that in reality what will be formost in clubs' minds will be the potential revenue that the new underage setup might generate. Im sure they will talk up the merits of player retention in the game, education, maturity of player when moving abroad etc. But a young player that catches the eye of scouts from English clubs at 16, like Bazunu, will still likely go as an elite youth. Parents will still have heads truned by an Academy in Liverpool or Manchester. It is best of the rest that will benefit, the late developers, the kids with parents that think their kid is Lionel Messi mark 2 by keeping them grounded. Im sure the youth coaches might be invested in a players welfare but further up in the boardroom it will still be about return on investment if players move or they benefit the first team as there is a tendancy for players that graduate from youths to senior to be payed less than signings in (to around 23yrs is the general guestimate before the gap in pay closes) so a cheaper option and hence finance driven again. There may be a better and broader support system for LoI youth player in due course than schoolboy clubs but we shouldnt look down our noses at the schoolboy clubs like St Kevins et al as LoI clubs would be doing the same exploiting young players by selling them off to generate funds if they could up until now and the new system may just be a modified version of that thinking.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

ACADEMY TRANSFERS: We’re delighted to announce that 3 Saints Academy players have joined UK clubs. Kian Leavy has joined @ReadingFC, Zak Delaney has signed for @WBA & Conor Power has moved to @AberdeenFC. Thanks to their schoolboy clubs also. Good luck boys
    https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/1014191962986033152

Shamrock Rovers F.C. announce that Luke Turner from our Under 17 team has joined Scottish side Aberdeen F.C.
    https://shamrockrovers.ie/2018/07/03...-for-aberdeen/

Page 94 of 117 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast