Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portadown Vs Rovers....trouble

thecorner

Portadown Vs Rovers....trouble

Rovers led 2-0 at half time but a weakened Portadown team came back to draw 2-2. Game overshadowed by a brick been thrown at the Rovers bus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    [Face, the Carraig-na-bhfear comment was particularly ignorant - I have friends living out there as it happens - and the "sell thick" comments are pure baiting, and you know it. Cop yourself on if you want to remain a mod please. --adam]
    Last edited by dahamsta; 01/02/2005 at 9:05 AM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Met a couple of Portadown officials recently and they were genuinely nice people, we played a friendly up there last pre-season and there wasn't a minute's bother seemingly, everybody was very sound to our team and officials..we may be playing them again this pre-season now that we've avoided them in the Setanta..I've never met their fans but I don't see any trouble at Setanta games, there's too much at stake for everyone to let it happen
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    No sell-thick should be let into the ground !!
    Not that it bothers me at all, but considering how uptight everyone gets when Waterford fans call City "C A W K", isn't this a case of double standards . FFS it's even banned on this board!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    All the port fans (on the net, good cross section i tupose) seem sound ...... and if there is trouble, i will put money on it being some toothless fúckwit wearing a sell-thick top from Carrig-na-bhfear (spelling?) or some place stupid like that !!

The club need to be on the ball with this and ban all mindless fúckwits from the ground for life if they even look like they thought of trouble. Cant give these fools any leighway. No sell-thick should be let into the ground !!

A brick was thrown at the Rovers bus, according to The Corner's post so why would someone at the game supporting Rovers do this?

I take it you remember Clitonville fans having their buses wrecked on the way to Portadown. So much so that very few ever venture down their anymore. Seriously A Face this isn't an issue to be brought down to speculation because you don't like a team.

In case you need your mind jogged on the incident.

http://www.theredsgazette.tk/

Click on the box named 'the club' then on the link to 'paranoia?' Then you can find out about the lovely Portadown support.
    Last edited by Pat O' Banton; 01/02/2005 at 10:38 AM. Reason: wrong link, sorry
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    [ccfcman, this is not how you handle problems on Foot.ie. Your complaint was noted and will be dealt with, now either add face to your ignore list or just keep your mouth shut. --adam]
    Last edited by dahamsta; 01/02/2005 at 9:04 AM.
    j'accuse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Some of the portadown guys have been on corkcityfc already and it was a 13 year old kid who threw the brick, he was outside the ground and threw it in, he was caught immediately and it's being dealt with.
    There was no trouble inside the ground, and I don't expect to see any when we go up there. Chill out a small bit.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness to A face, the point he was making was actually spot on.
    It's not really the Portadown fans themselves we have to worry about it's more a few of the knuckle dragging locals who'll be out to kick the sh!t out of some southerners. Portadown is not a particularly nice or welcoming town by all accounts, that's no reflection on the club but only on some of the people who inhabit the area.

Someone on the corkcityfc.ie forum made a good point about how hopefully this little incident will stay out of the press because if the bus companies get wind of it we haven't a hope of running a couple of buses up there.
    Champions!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The trip to Portadown is long enough to only attract the diehard city fans. Hopefully it'll discourage any daytrippers looking to cause travel just to cause trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    "Portadown Vs Rovers....trouble"

The Corner - I'd say you just loved posting that heading.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    The Corner - I'd say you just loved posting that heading.

Do you have anything constructive to add?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    It's not really the Portadown fans themselves we have to worry

That is the gist of what i was trying to say .... admittedly i could have used a better choice of words. I am sorry if i upset anyone .... i hold my hands up !!
    People .... as you've found out, i am only human afterall.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    or their fans laying a wreath at Loughgall
    What's wrong with laying a wreath at Loughgall? Or is an SAS massacre acceptable now? I sincerely hope not but if the current demonisation of Bobby Sands is anything to go by nothing would surprise me.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the simple fact is that games like these could well attract the once-a-year crowd who only go to matches looking for a scrap. that much is true. we se it ourselves at the cross every time rovers are in town, there's a bunch of scumbags who you won't see at a game until rovers next come down- and they're not dubs. Its up to all true fans (of city and fans of other clubs) to make this competition work, by not tolerating any **** from anyone. And labelling and stereotyping people won't help anyone

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    we se it ourselves at the cross every time rovers are in town, there's a bunch of scumbags who you won't see at a game until rovers next come down- and they're not dubs.
    Too true, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Would trouble between Portadown and Cliftonville have anything to do with their fans unveiling a tricolour with IRA written across it on the Cliftonville bus
    Don't remember hearing that at the time or indeed since, however you may or may or not be right. However it should be remembered that the buses had several kids on them (one of which I seem to remember was narrowly missed by a brick) equally from the description on The Red Gazette website it seemed more of an organised protest then simply spur of the moment. Maybe you'd like to e-mail The Red Gazette directly to confirm or deny you points.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Don't remember hearing that at the time or indeed since, however you may or may or not be right. However it should be remembered that the buses had several kids on them (one of which I seem to remember was narrowly missed by a brick) equally from the description on The Red Gazette website it seemed more of an organised protest then simply spur of the moment. Maybe you'd like to e-mail The Red Gazette directly to confirm or deny you points.

Sure Pat why would he do that, sure would that not get in the way of a wind up and after all those chuckys from Belfast must have deserved it in his book.

Heard from some Cliftonville mates who were at the game, who said that all the buses were supporters club buses and the one that got the worst of the attack was the players familys bus (maybe one of the players kids had a Provo fit on the way to the ground ), i'm sure this side of the story didn't make the Irish/British media down in Ballynawestbrit county Kerry.

I'm sure the Monaghan GAA fans who were passing by Portadown on buses coming back from Casement Park a couple years ago in which they also suffered an attack by thugs with bricks and rocks must also have been acting the Provo in his book to have that happen to them.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Look lads: If they're not in the Free State, they're not f*cking Irish. Cop yourself on willya, Sylvs!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Without wanting to turn this into a CliftonVILE thread, almost all the trouble thats been caused in the Brandy since we joined the LOI has been caused by a group of Cliftonville fans "supporting" Rovers when they play us.

Having been to Portadown more than enough times, as well as having seen enough IL games to know which teams I don't like, I'm well aware by now that Portadown is a bitter hole of a place and I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it. BUT the shiny shellsuit and cheap jewellery wearing crowd from Belfast are no angels as well and the association of some of their fans with Rovers is well known.

Bottom line is while there might be the potential for the odd bit of aggro, I'm sure the vast majority of Portydown fans will welcome Cork and I wouldn't let it put you off travelling.

Prob best not be waving the tricolours around all the same, but then you'd tell the Portadown fans the same in Cork with the Union Jacks....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    What's wrong with laying a wreath at Loughgall? Or is an SAS massacre acceptable now? I sincerely hope not but if the current demonisation of Bobby Sands is anything to go by nothing would surprise me.

KOH
    LMAO! massacre? PIRA unit on active duty had just blown up the police station in Loughgall, were also armed then came unstuck when confronted by the SAS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast