Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Macy,

I am on dodgy ground here but is that not only available through national broadcasters?

Given that RTE occupies a "special position" in terms of the GFA, I dunno what the lie of the land would be.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor
    Macy,

I am on dodgy ground here but is that not only available through national broadcasters?

Given that RTE occupies a "special position" in terms of the GFA, I dunno what the lie of the land would be.
    Thought that was why Sky coughed up for floodlights when they won the English contract and wanted Sunday Games? The IFA could've objected as it would be viewable in large parts of the North through overspill, never mind cable (and soon to be Satellite), afaik
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Saturday afternoons are much handier for travelling. Being able to get a bus or train back after the game makes the whole trip so much handier (not to mention cheaper!) but I like having our home games on Friday nights.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    All games should be Saturday afternoon, Saturday night or Sunday Afternoon. I'd actually prefer either Saturday or Sunday afternoons myself, but then that's a personal circumstance thing. Weekend afternoon would allow people to use public transport at reasonable times of the day, travel anywhere in the country there and back relistically and safely by car and I believe increase the crowds.

The only games that should be allowed on Friday Nights should be derbies eg where travelling times would between clubs would be an hour or less.
    I'd agree with that. Friday nights for derbies, Saturday nights or afternoons for every other match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't really mind what day they're on for home games, but for getting to away games Saturday is undoubtedly the best. I also think its best to have all games at the same time, with occasional exceptions.

From what others have said, it looks like Saturday 7.30 is the best time (and maybe Saturday at 3 for clubs that don't have lights). Maybe we could give clubs a quota of about 5 games on Friday nights, so that only the big Dublin derbies are moved from the usual time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seems to me on the basis of this that home fans favour Friday, travelling favour Saturday. Since home fans would make up the vast majority of any crowd, surely the Friday makes more commercial sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    Seems to me on the basis of this that home fans favour Friday, travelling favour Saturday. Since home fans would make up the vast majority of any crowd, surely the Friday makes more commercial sense.

Someone having mentioned that televised games have an impact on the domestic game in the north ... surely the same can be said down here too

Should RTE compensate clubs because of this ??

Should SKY compensate clubs because of this ??

Is this happening ??

And just to add ... the friday night leaves the rest of the weekend free .... but if it were sat ... it would be every second one ..... it would really add to the games if more away support were there (away normally more vocal, or is that just CCFC fans ... probably )

There is for and against ..... anyway ...... RTE / SKY .... Compensation ... when do we get he money and can it be back dated ???
    Last edited by A face; 10/01/2005 at 5:26 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Sky did compensate us in the past- and the LOI took advantage of the "blockout period" did it not?
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. .........

Quote Originally Posted by Maribor
    Sky did compensate us in the past- and the LOI took advantage of the "blockout period" did it not?
    Blockout period ?? .... what/when/who was that ??

Was aware of some sort of deal but i was lead to believe SKY go away with murder because no one policed the whole thing, dont know if that was FAI or other !?!

What was this blockout period ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As Mr. Diddley said; friday night for home games , Saturday for aways ... which obviously doesn't make sense - difficulty with Macy's idea is that with 6 (counting Bray - you can get a dart back afterwards, that makes it Dublin) Dublin teams in the Premier Division this year, we could play half our matches on Friday night whereas Longford don't really have a derby and won't 'til they go back down to join Athlone and Monaghan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And maybe they make up such a huge majority because the matches are on Friday nights. The home fans will go whenever it is on. So you increase revenue if you switch to a time that accommodates away fans.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Longford Monaghan Derby

Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan
    As Mr. Diddley said; friday night for home games , Saturday for aways ... which obviously doesn't make sense - difficulty with Macy's idea is that with 6 (counting Bray - you can get a dart back afterwards, that makes it Dublin) Dublin teams in the Premier Division this year, we could play half our matches on Friday night whereas Longford don't really have a derby and won't 'til they go back down to join Athlone and Monaghan
    Get A Map You fool

A Longford - Monaghan Derby. Sure of course we're near neighbours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    The home fans will go whenever it is on.
    They wont, some days are better than others for getting the most home fans in the ground and for the majority of clubs thats friday

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Wer've always found Saturdays to be better but overall our crowds are down on winter football
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan
    Don't see why it's a problem? I'm not suggesting Derby games must or should be a Friday, just that they'd be the only games allowed to be switched to Friday.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Aye ok from the Dublin derbys but not so much for other derbys. I always like to see clubs make an effort to bring a decent away support. Banter and craic adds to the atmosphere.

So I say for none Dublin derbys all games should be Saturday night. What better a pint or two go to watch your team and after head out to whatever you cup of tea is
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Friday night, summer football is best of all options.

Live TV games should be moved to different time possibly saturday or monday evening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12