Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caulfield: "Why aren't teams in Dublin marketing their clubs?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Yes it is surprising and for me makes Caufield wrong. Cork are without doubt the best supported team at home but when you go from an average of ~5k at home to ~100 away it shows what the real core support is and how if results go south so will home attendances. Most away games are in leinster and the roads couldn't really be better, others being limerick, Sligo and Galway, are they really that far? It's no excuse for such a fluctuation in my opinion.
    I suppose unless you're prepared to walk out of work early every other Friday to travel to away games that are 2.5 hours or more away, you're not part of the "real core support"? Sligo is 4.5 hours from Cork, not that far really.

Don't be so stupid.
    Last edited by CityRebel; 28/04/2015 at 9:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Yes it is surprising and for me makes Caufield wrong. Cork are without doubt the best supported team at home but when you go from an average of ~5k at home to ~100 away it shows what the real core support is and how if results go south so will home attendances. Most away games are in leinster and the roads couldn't really be better, others being limerick, Sligo and Galway, are they really that far? It's no excuse for such a fluctuation in my opinion.
    You can be a real core fan and not go to away games. Given their geographical location, I would say the tradition of going to away games hasn't been developed among Cork fans. For a large number of Dundalk fans, it makes little difference whether the game is at home or away, particularly if is is on the east coast.

You couldn't blame Cork fans for no coming to Oriel Park, who would want to travel that distance to see a near certain defeat.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel View Post
    I suppose unless you're prepared to walk out of work early every other Friday to travel to away games that are 2.5 hours or more away, you're not part of the "real core support"? Sligo is 4.5 hours from Cork, not that far really.

Don't be so stupid.
    Sligo was a bad example to be fair bit you've zoned in on one of 9 there. JC claimed Cork are the best supported team in the country and used this as a stick to beat Dublin clubs and also deflect from his teams performance last Friday. He based this on home attendances and my point is that half the games are away where I think Corks support is poor. If Cork fans feel the games are too far to travel then that's fine but I bet JC and his players would love a bigger away support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Sligo was a bad example to be fair bit you've zoned in on one of 9 there. JC claimed Cork are the best supported team in the country and used this as a stick to beat Dublin clubs and also deflect from his teams performance last Friday. He based this on home attendances and my point is that half the games are away where I think Corks support is poor. If Cork fans feel the games are too far to travel then that's fine but I bet JC and his players would love a bigger away support.
    Caulfield was at a press conference in front of the Dublin media who have been criticising his team for weeks. He was basically telling them not to be so bothered about Cork when the clubs in their backyard have so many problems.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Of course they'd prefer a bigger away support, and there's a lot of fans who would prefer to travel to more away games, but it's not practical to leave work early every other Friday. Dublin is 2.5 hours away, Drogheda and Galway are 3 hours, Longford and Dundalk are 3.5 hours, Sligo is 4.5 hours, Derry is 5.5 hours. Limerick is the only away trip this year under 2 hours away for City fans. If half our away games were an hour away like yours are, then maybe you'd have a point.
    Last edited by CityRebel; 28/04/2015 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I still think I do have a point given your home support. I know it's difficult getting out of work on a Friday but I still think it should be better especially since you're title challengers. Anyway lucky for you 3 of the long away trips you mentioned are on Saturdays and as mentioned you don't travel to Dundalk anyway, well unless there's a title on the line ��

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The problem with Dublin compared with Cork is there's too much competition in the city centre unlike Cork were CCFC are the only gig in town. For example, the big three (Shels, Bohs and Pat's) together average 3,800 which is a little short of Cork City's 4,000+. Shamrock Rovers are getting 3,800 average in Tallaght but weren't getting that when they played in Dublin city. The catchment area plays a big roll as well as having a successful product on and off the pitch. Dundalk and Sligo have done well doing this.

But I feel Caulfield is having a little dig at the so called 'Dublin media'.

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Wouldn't say our away support is poor at all.

Had a decent crowd in Sligo on the opening day, decent enough away crowd to Rovers and Pats, around 100 of us in Drogheda recently.

Wasn't too long ago Dundalk brought around 15 fans to Cork when Sean McCaffery was in charge

As for not travelling to Dundalk being a cop out? I was there for both away games last year. Definitely not going back after having lighters, golf balls and bottles thrown at us after FT on the final day last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityBoy View Post
    As for not travelling to Dundalk being a cop out? I was there for both away games last year. Definitely not going back after having lighters, golf balls and bottles thrown at us after FT on the final day last year.
    Should the Dundalk players refuse to go back to Turner's Cross after having bottles thrown at them at full time on Friday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityBoy View Post
    I was there for both away games last year. Definitely not going back after having lighters, golf balls and bottles thrown at us after FT on the final day last year.
    There is no excuse for that kind of scumbag behaviour. The hype around that game brought some people into the ground that we would prefer never to see again.

While terrace in Oriel Park remains a poor match day experience, the 60 away seats in the stand have the best view in the house.

I hope you come back some day and support your team when they travel up here.

13. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Should the Dundalk players refuse to go back to Turner's Cross after having bottles thrown at them at full time on Friday?
    No, because it's their job and they get paid to play. Believe it or not it's not actually my job to go and support Cork City.

This is the first I'm hearing about that too. The fans that threw bottles at the Dundalk players last Friday are probably little scrotes. Hope they're found and barred from coming back. No place for that in football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Its a good job that we dont live on a bigger Island or we'd would really be f*cked!

Travelling to away games really does require dedication and that includes Dundalk fans too. It is not that long ago that more time was spent in snarled up traffic in Abbyleix, Drogheda, Balbriggan et al than at the game. Dundalk had a long established subsidised travel club and this has been carried on after in reasonable numbers. I dont blame Cork fans for not travelling but current levels of home support do not give licence to point the figure at others either. It is the level of St Pats home support that is most concerning considering recent success; the rest is approximate to how things are going. Bohs crowds will no doubt increase as they maintain their league position. My earlier point was that in relative terms we are not that badly supported and we all feel we can improve. But this would be an anomoly going by averages Europe wide. With some support from the FAI rather than the if they close their eyes we will disappear attitude, the league could be a real sucess but with sucess gauged at appropriate levels. The Cup Final is the one showpiece that lets us down in the perception of other sports by which I mean GAA. Many county boards would dream of having the attendance levels certainly during the national league that LoI clubs get week in week out.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    There is no excuse for that kind of scumbag behaviour. The hype around that game brought some people into the ground that we would prefer never to see again.

While terrace in Oriel Park remains a poor match day experience, the 60 away seats in the stand have the best view in the house.

I hope you come back some day and support your team when they travel up here.
    pity at our game that none of our supporters were put in there instead of the terraces!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    pity at our game that none of our supporters were put in there instead of the terraces!
    There was a choice but would have costed an extra €5, ye could have transferred to crisp and mineral cash...

If in the stand there is tea and soup available in the McGuill bar along with pints, minerals, crisps, peanuts and a with a seast and view of the game!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    We all choose not to travel to Dundalk.
    Uno duce, una voce?

Is Pripyat also on your banned list?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel View Post

Don't be so stupid.
    Spaceships | My Post | Private Message

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    The template for gathering support remains Termonbarry FC

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Maybe you should take a look at your own scumbag support before you refer to our scumbag support, who by the way were reported to the security by myself and many others last Friday night and it will never happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    All ethnic .minorities welcome
    You sure about that................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Whatever about your home support, your away support is nothing to shout about.
    Its still in the top 3 or 4 in the Country, despite the long journeys. You only have to look in your away section every second week to see you have a problem up there.
    Last edited by strikeforce; 28/04/2015 at 9:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast