Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Game last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Game last night

Hi Longford fans.Waterford United fan here.Were any of ye at the game last night?What was it like?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    End of season stuff really, nothing much to get excited about, we should have finished ye at 1-0 and 11 v 10 though
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bit of an end of season bore, really. Longford dominated the first half, limiting Waterford to attacks on the break.

Most of the chances in the opening 45 fell to the Town, with Paul Keegan heading their best chance wide (from a left-footed Kirby cross).

Waterford had a chance just before the break to score, but the player (can't think who it was - no. 8 poss) blazed over.

The second half was more of the game. Breen was sent off for an incident that took place as a corner was being taken. Apparently, he elbowed or swung out at Gartland. Linesman Tony Cassidy (think that's his name) spotted it and told the ref.

Longford pushed on a bit more. Paisley got in behind the Waterford defence and crossed perfectly for Lavine to head home.

Looked like being the only goal, but Waterford suddenly stepped it up. A well-worked passing move saw Kevin Waters (impressive player - very tough for a winger) cross for Ben Whelehan to thump home from close range.

Waterford sat back again, but Longford panicked a bit too much and started hitting useless passes, which suited Waterford.

Desperate stuff. Crowd of around 1,000, which wasn't bad for the cold night that was in it. Roll on Saturday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Thought Paisley played very well and tried really hard(nothing to do with the scouts watching i'n sure).Anyone read jim hanleys piece in the programme.Very good,he has a go at a lot of people rico,roddy,people of longford etc
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    did he write it
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Knowing Jim's writing, I'd say he wrote it. The sentiments and thoughts were spot on. At times it read too much like a rant, though, and should have probably been structured better.

Alan had a proper go as well. Exactly what the majority of fans felt in terms of a minority having a pop at the team and management they are supposed to be supporting.

It was aimed directly at you, Techs, in case you're in any doubt.

If you didn't get the programme, you'll have another chance on Saturday night. It's a 'double programme'.
    Last edited by town73; 18/11/2004 at 9:52 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    what was the jist of it ???
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Get it on Saturday, it's too long to have a jist!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The gist of Jim's piece was to highlight the ugly, bad and good of the season.

Included in the ugly was a tirade about Damien Richardson, which I think everyone on this entire board would agree with. Roddy Collins gets a mention; Jim Roddy re: club licensing; a reporter from the leader and Rovers' fans.

The bad included the FAI's choice to get rid of Rooney during the build up to the Cup final; exclusion of Dillon from U21 squad (REP OF IRELAND, that is); Paul Doolin; Shels reaction to 4-1 thumping; Longford fans who were at cup final, but don't turn up at league games.

The good included the best moments of the season - cup wins, THAT Prunty goal, trip to vaduz, volunteers who put in seats before Vaduz game, the supporters to come to games weekly.

That's a brief synopsis. Read it on Saturday to fill the gaps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I thought it was an excellent idea and he said what the rest of us are thinkin!
    Matthews on our wonderful local station this evening mentioned the sunshiners how they might make the effort to come out to the game and gave a special mention to the ones who are there through thick and thin saying that he knows they will always be there!!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    local station this evening mentioned the sunshiners how they might make the effort to come out to the game and gave a special mention to the ones who are there through thick and thin saying that he knows they will always be there!!
    its a diease, but a good one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    its a who!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by town73
    Included in the ugly was a tirade about Damien Richardson, which I think everyone on this entire board would agree with. Roddy Collins gets a mention; Jim Roddy re: club licensing; a reporter from the leader and Rovers' fans.
    Cant wait to read it! what did he say about the reporter from the Leader? (boo hiss... )
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That he was delighted he didnt have an article printed this year after his comments last year!! something alone those lines

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    exactly wat did robert cox say i dont remember hearing anything untoward about it.certainly noyhing was mentioned on this board
    Copperknob!!!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Same reporter had a sly dig at Alan Mathews in his column recently which did not go down well at all at all, also had a dig at the corporate lunch, maybe it'll be third time lucky and all this crap..same chap wrote an article for the Leader immediately after the '03 Cup win, chose to use the headline "Longford Town set for €200,000 windfall" made up prize monies and speculation of increased gates, which didnt happen, rather than focussing on the sporting achievement, it's fair to say he's not popular within LTFC

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    he is a tit.........

needs a swift kick between the legs, oh but he has no balls, thus the "entertainment editor", oh where shall i put the park house ad this week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Met Mr. Cocks on one occasion. A tit is right. Im biased having worked for the other newspaper serving the Longford area, but the patronising attitude is just typical begrudgery.....
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'