Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: St Pats (H) 23-05-2014

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

St Pats (H) 23-05-2014

Right, might aswell look forward to this one.
    Out of the 3 games, this is (/was) the one I have the least hope of getting something from.
    After losing two in a row, we're under a bit of pressure to get something. If we go attack them, we'll leave ourselves very open. If we sit back and try frustrate them, we'll run the risk of losing anyway.
    Williams looks to be definitely out, and Byrne caused Nzuzi problems in the last game up there.

Limerick 0 - 1 St Pats

Predictions? Any thoughts?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It's very hard to know how this will go. By right they should give us a doing over but if we cut out the silly mistakes we will be very hard to beat. Galbraith starting again should make us a bit more dangerous on the counter and I think that's the route we will have to go down. We are most likely not going to dominate the game against pats so we need to take advantage of the little possession we get. Counter attacks and set pieces will be our best chance.

We all said before these three games started that it's the matches against the teams around us that will matter the most and I stick by that. Get anything out of this will be a bonus but realistically we need to target other matches.

I still stand by that we are only a few players away from being very comfortable in the league.

According to Mike Ahern on 95fm the word coming from the club is there will be finds available to strengthen in July. They need to be used wisely.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pats have improved a lot since the 1-1 bore fest in inchicore , to be honest a point would be a good result at this stage but 2 nil to pats I think they will be too strong

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Nil all at HT. Limerick not too bad but Pats making all the chances. Limerick impotent up front.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    2-0, sickend I missed it. Great result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Fantastic result. Almost didn’t make it but so glad I got there.

Scoreline was the last thing I expected at half time. Limerick had not been terrible, but really defensive and unimaginative in the Pat’s half. Gaffney was a lone striker, with occasional help from runs by Galbraith or Tracey, but far too often he got the ball, or one of the other two did, and there was no one to pass or cross too. Limerick fell to pieces when pressured with the ball, and Pat’s didn’t. But while they had most of the ball and passed so much better, they couldn’t create any real good chances either, think Oji’s header that scrapped off the post was the closest they came. Had a good shout for a penalty early on I thought (was it Bermingham who got clattered?) but the ref wasn’t blowing for stuff all game.

Half time I would have been delighted with a draw, but Taylor sent them back out a bit looser, willing to pass the ball forward a bit more, look for the runs. Galbraith’s goal had more than a touch of luck too it – Bermingham was hobbling at the time after a bad fall, but played on and I think he was supposed to be on Danny – but he took it well. Fully expected Pats to score regardless and they piled on the pressure alright, but the defence really showed up in the last half hour, limiting them to a lot of wayward crosses and corners, and a few headers straight at Ryan. Forrester missed an absolutely golden opportunity, thought he was offside, so did the Limerick defence, but he just blasted it wide.

The second goal, what an effort by Galbraith to chase the ball and win it. Nice finish from Hughes but the Pat’s defence had fallen asleep, we could have two more because they threw so many forward. All they could get afterward was corner, corner, corner, free, corner, and Limerick dealt with them all.

So, so happy with the performance tonight. It wasn’t flawless or even outstanding, but it was tough and workmanlike, a huge step up. Ryan was solid as ever, and that save from Brennan late on was top class. The defence had a few nervy moments, especially in the first half hour, a few misplaced passes, but improved immensely as the game went on, Nzuzi especially. Oji remains an absolute tank, Limerick have a totally different defensive capability when he pays. The ball, Pats, that advertising board, nothing could stop him tonight.

Midfield was packed, but honestly thought they could have done a bit better. Pats midfield were able to make a lot of headers under no pressure, and sometimes when Limerick got a break they seemed unable to pick the right pass. Exception for Galbraith, who was outstanding, the best game I’ve ever seen him play for the club. Just so much work rate, chasing the ball, making the runs, keeping Pats under pressure. Prince came off just as the second half started, very concerning that he can’t finish a game, but he was decent in the first at any rate. McGrath was good when he came on, tracked back nicely down the right wing to keep Pats hassled.

Gaffney was his usual self, full of beans if just under supported. His long throws are a total waste of time since he can’t find a man, and a striker who could be running into the box when he wins the ball on the wing would be great. Tam came on late, had little to do.

Taylor is some man when Limerick are winning though. From the way he celebrated Galbraith’s goal you’d think we were after winning the league, and for the next ten minutes it seemed like he was more concerned with keeping the singing section going than the game. A steward threw a ball back to Pats fast for a throw in and Taylor gave him the most murderous look I’ve ever seen him make. Huge celebrations at the end, you could see how much it meant to the players and the fans to actually win such a game, against the champions.

Attendance very poor, but a run of defeats will do that. Might get a good few more for the Bohs and UCD games now. Atmosphere was so much better than the last game I got to in Thomond though, the lads in the terrace kept it up all night, fair play to them. Think Pats had around 100 or so there?

So much more optimistic about what the team can achieve tonight. Up a few places, well clear of Athlone and with the possibility of strengthening the squad soon enough. There’s a mid table finish in this squad, if they can play like that more. Got it keep it up and get something off Drogs now (oh, and win the MSC I suppose).
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 24/05/2014 at 1:16 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Fair play, good win! Hope to see ye move into midtable from here.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Prince came off just as the second half started, very concerning that he can’t finish a game, but he was decent in the first at any rate. McGrath was good when he came on, tracked back nicely down the left wing to keep Pats hassled.

Took a knock and was limping at the end of the first id say he only came back out again to see could he run it off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    That's fair enough, he just looked more wrecked than injured to me as he came off.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    That's fair enough, he just looked more wrecked than injured to me as he came off.
    May have been that too tbh he did look tired form start of the match. If you see what he wears warming up you will see the weather gets to him a bit.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Fantastic win overall deserved it I thought , all worked very hard but for me Jason Hughes was motm his work rate was unreal he does not always have the end product but heart and desire he has it in abundance, Galbraith as said very good as was gaffney again ,defence was very good last night Oji the standout again .Was worried when the prince went off he gets better with each game but James mc Grath did well after coming on.Expected more from pats if I'm honest fagan showed some great touches was surprised to see Brennan on the bench good player.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    a brilliant if unexpected result with the players workrate a real feature.not so sure about it being deserved,we were very lucky to be level at ht and some of the football Pats played was top drawer stuff.most of the first half was spent chasing and covering hard all over the pitch as Pats owned the ball,second half a bit better ,Pats have a soft centre and when galbraith scored they were in trouble.thought oji and folan were very good,overworked but kept making the tackles and covering runs.Pats shellshocked at the end having dominated the game and played well but did not do enough in our box to win.