Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Kennedy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post

Breen gave a great deal to the team, admittedly too old now but wouldnt but him is same breath as Kennedy.
    Breen was useless. He was at fault for many goals conceded. We lavished praise upon him for his performances (when he had no club) at the world cup yet even then he just did his job. We seem not to be bothered at the majority of occasions where that was not possible for him.

Doherty has had very few chances in Defence which is his real position. Although I'm not sure I can watch his weird run whcih seems to be like a kid pretending to be an aeroplane.
    Granted, but the sight of him coming on and running like a demented child, falling over like a dizzy granny is embarassing. I think the opposition assumed he'd won a competition or something.

Harte for a while was one of our star players and I always feel he suffered most by the Leeds collapse.
    Thats fair, he has suffered most, but the reality is today he offers no more than an option for free kicks. Thats not good enough when there's 89 other minutes where he gets caught out repeatedly and costs us games. His downside dramatically overshadows his deadball abilities.
    Limerick 3:7
    "Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    In fairness to Harte, his weaknesses were never exposed in a competitive game. I can't remember us ever conceding goals because of his perceived lack of defending. I could be wrong though.

Of course then again, he did miss that peno against Spain.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I can't remember us ever conceding goals because of his perceived lack of defending. I could be wrong though.
    Germany at the World Cup, Staunton was screaming at him to watch Klose, but he gave Klose acres of space, and plenty of time to plant a header past Given
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Germany at the World Cup, Staunton was screaming at him to watch Klose, but he gave Klose acres of space, and plenty of time to plant a header past Given
    He was awfula t the World Cup and shouldn't have started v Spain, confidence gone. But he seems to have upped his game, fitness and confidence since, but one more fcuk up like v Germany and he should be history, form the starting 11 anyway. Oh, and there's the dreadful missed header v the Swiss, but in fairnes, Robbie keane has missed as easy and he's a "striker"

Harte was/is either too lazy, too slow or not bothered....still to be decided which, but you go forward to take a free, you get back ASAP...NOT LIKE YOU'RE ON THE WAY BACK TO HTE OFFICE AFTER LUNCH.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thelimerick View Post
    No, no, no, no ,no.... and no again!!
    No Kennedy's, no Kavanaghs, no Breens, no Dohertys, no Morrisons, no Hartes NO NO NO !!
    None of these players offer anything to an Irish team. They have all had their chance and shown to the best of their abilities the worst of their ability.
    Each one is a liability and liabilities cost games. Replace each one of these with the emerging talent, tell them they have a chance to stake a claim within the squad let them do the rest
    Agreed, these have players have proved time and time again how useless they are...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Without those Breens Kennedys Kavanaghs Dohertys Morrisons and Hartes that you so scathingly speak of I doubt we would have made the last World Cup we qualifed for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Without those Breens Kennedys Kavanaghs Dohertys Morrisons and Hartes that you so scathingly speak of I doubt we would have made the last World Cup we qualifed for
    Kavanagh and Morrison didn't play in the qualifiers for Japan/South Korea...Although I take your point, we need the squad players to allow the star players in the team (Duff, Keane, McGeady) to shine
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

kennedy

kennedy can still do it great cross on him one of the best players at palace this season he and morrison can still do the job.its all well and good saying bring the young players in but to what cost,i think it could cost us our place at the championship you need old eads that know the game and can handle the tempo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slondonirish View Post
    kennedy can still do it great cross on him one of the best players at palace this season he and morrison can still do the job.its all well and good saying bring the young players in but to what cost,i think it could cost us our place at the championship you need old eads that know the game and can handle the tempo

Agreed. Its unfair to throw a lad like Alan O'Brien and expect him to perform agains a team like Germany. Lunacy. Especially when you have experienced players like Kennedy available.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Agreed. Its unfair to throw a lad like Alan O'Brien and expect him to perform agains a team like Germany. Lunacy. Especially when you have experienced players like Kennedy available.
    I'd disagree with you here. Using your example, I can't for one second see what a player like Mark Kennedy would do for us better than Alan O'Brien.

I know very little about O'Brien and can't see the logic in trying out a player who's yet to play in the Premiership for Newcastle against Germany. But I would much prefer to get someone like O'Brien, a young fella who probably really wants it, to go out and get used to the international level. Essentially, I prefer a manager who isn't afraid to give someone a go to a manager who's petrified of breaking from a formula.

Anyway, O'Brien didn't play that badly against Germany, did he?

Kennedy, first of all, was always ropey at international level, although he had a few cracking games. He got loads and loads of caps, though, and never did it for us consistently. He's ten years older than the likes of O'Brien at this stage and playing at a lower level.

And if he's so good for his clubs, why do they keep bumping him off after one or two seasons?

My point with all this is that for all the experience of Kennedy or Connolly and players like them, they never really delivered for Ireland. At this stage, after several years of tame, below average performances, if Stan scrapped half the team and replaced them with 'babes' from the U21 team, it wouldn't bother me hugely.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81 View Post
    My point with all this is that for all the experience of Kennedy or Connolly and players like them, they never really delivered for Ireland. At this stage, after several years of tame, below average performances, if Stan scrapped half the team and replaced them with 'babes' from the U21 team, it wouldn't bother me hugely.
    Too true. Experiementing with potential is better than sticking with tried and trusted dross. Anyone can see that.

I'm not on for throwing 4 kids into the first team straight away to replace the likes of Kilbane, O'Shea etc but a gradual phasing in of one or two young players is needed or we'll continue to go backwards. Unfortunately Staunton seems to be of the Kerr mould and is sticking with the same old dross but I'll give him some more time before making up my mind.

In fairness to Kerr though if there's one thing he did that I'm thankful for it was phasing the likes of Connolly out of the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Staunton is clutching at straws by playing the likes of Alan O'Brien. Friendlies are the place for experiments. This kid may one day be a decent player and even an international but he is not experienced enough at club level to be playing at competitive international level. There are probably better and more experienced players in the U21 team. ffs I'm not a great fan of Andy Reid but why he wasn't included beggars belief.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Noooooooooo!
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Noooooooooo!
    I concur.............if they're gonna try anyone at left full it should be Stephen Ward or Damien Delaney, not Mark Kennedy, his attitude stinks and he said in the press quite recently that he has no interest in an international recall
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    I concur.............if they're gonna try anyone at left full it should be Stephen Ward or Damien Delaney, not Mark Kennedy, his attitude stinks and he said in the press quite recently that he has no interest in an international recall
    when did he say that? The most recent quotes I can find from him about playing for Ireland again are from 2006

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    He must have been one of the most talented and promising Irish players of all time but for whatever reason he has never fulfilled his potential

He just did not seem to have the right temperment/attitude to produce it at the higher levels.
    I think that he has had enough chances already and has never grasped them.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    I dont think we can afford to be writing off anyone at full back for us at the moment, there more options the better
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Doing a good job at left back for Cardiff this season, could be in the premiership next year. With our shortage of left backs he could be worth recalling.
    If Cardiff make it to the Premiership, I doubt they'll be bringing Kennedy with them.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I think that he has had enough chances already and has never grasped them.
    I totally agree. Also, even if they lost yesterday, Wolves look much more likely to be promoted and Foley deserves to get his chance too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He must have been one of the most talented and promising Irish players of all time but for whatever reason he has never fulfilled his potential
    I'm afraid for many players Anfield has been a graveyard for up & coming Irish talent.

Kennedy was a red hot prospect when he went there.
    McAteer was one of the leagues best midfielders - only to be stuck as a wing/full back.
    Babb was wanted by many top teams & playing fantastic football.
    Keane was one of the Premierships top strikers.

They managed not to ruin Finnan I guess.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast