Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 128 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm here 14 years now. I started wearing one about 5 years ago. I felt it was more of a churlish statement not to wear one than it is a positive statement to wear one. If I lived in Ireland I probably wouldn't wear one. If I did I'd be making a strong message whereas here I think I'm simply making a passive gesture. (by here I mean London, not foot.ie!)
    Jesus, Stutts, next you'll be declaring for OWC!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Eff off!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I blame the bad spelling and grammar in the thread title for leading it so far off topic...

Tallaght Stadium Regular

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I blame the bad spelling and grammar in the thread title for leading it so far off topic...
    Something nice and incendiary to get things back on topic: http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/g...ndwagon/15523/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Keane
    Misery Merchants Back Aboard the Bandwagon

They’re calling them ‘Box-Office. The unveiling of Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane as Ireland’s new management has sparked a frenzy of interest in the home friendly with Latvia. Yet, if the duo weren’t in place next week, if there was no appointment, Irish ‘supporters’ would stay away in their droves. Billy Keane of Back-Post.com wonders if the Irish team would be better off without the event-junkies.

I never really liked Geography in school. Who really gives a sh*t about ox-bow lakes and flood plains and such things. My Geography teacher was a cardigan loving, socks and sandals wearing hippy with chalk dust billowing from his moustache whenever he spoke. I never quite took to him. I do remember a time when he stubbed his toe on the projector screen stand. That was funny. Serves him right for wearing sandals to work. Amidst the throbbing pain and fumbling, the projector stand collapsed on him pinching the skin between his thumb and forefinger and sent him into an alternate reality with the agony. I was on the floor laughing at this stage watching him change colour as he tried to keep his fury from erupting in a torrent of red hot expletives. Hilarious. He also did this annoying thing that teachers do when they say the first syllable of a word and encourage you to finish it. Vol-cano. That really annoyed me.

I refer to my old Geography past because I was recently struck by a time-faded image, in my minds eye, of ‘the water cycleʼ from lessons gone by while in the Aviva Stadium for the last game of the current qualifying campaign. You know the one. The sun heats up the surface of the sea, the water evaporates into the air and is carried by the wind, the water vapour cools and condenses and eventually falls back to earth as precipitation, it flows down the mountains in rivers and streams and makes its way back to the sea for the cycle to begin again. Most people are quite familiar with this cycle from living in Ireland where we get our fair share of rainfall during the year. Weʼre famous for it across the globe.

Science can explain this by examining the gulf stream, prevailing winds and cold fronts meeting warm fronts over Irelands mountains and valleys but they donʼt live here on a day to day basis so exactly how much weight you can give to these theories is up to each of us to decide. I for one am not completely sold on this sciencey, objective, evidence based hocus pocus but thatʼs just me.

“I have another theory that may have slipped through the net in the world of scientific research. I propose that Irelandʼs level of rainfall is pushed into the higher numbers by the condensation from the mouths of half of Irelandʼs football supporters.”

Itʼs a water vapour by-product from the bitching and moaning, criticizing and condemning, berating and whinging shower of misery merchants who show up to these qualifying games. Add to that the steam off the ****e that I hear from the vocal idiots at these games and Iʼm truly dumbfounded as to how Ireland doesnʼt have a monsoon season around international game weeks.

It came to a head for me in the Upper South Stand at the start of the Ireland/Kazakhstan game. The teams were lining up for the national anthems. I was in my seat and not a sinner within ten rows of me. Looking around with an uninterrupted view confirmed that the stadium was mostly empty seats. Less than half full. I felt sorry for the team to have to come out and play a competitive game in front such a sparse crowd. Every empty seat represented a gravy train bandwagonner that decided to stay home this time. These people are in every walk of life. I just didnʼt realize that there was such an amount of them in the Irish football crowd.

These people are not supporters. They are only interested in following success around and trying to claim part ownership of it. It doesnʼt cost them a thought to abandon a cause if things start to go tits up. They most likely ʻwere always interested in rugbyʼ when Irelandʼs rugby team were doing well and ʻhad been following the boxing for yearsʼ when Bernard Dunne was fighting for a world title and Katie Taylor was winning Olympic gold. Unfortunately itʼs these ****s that make the most noise. They can define what the general consensus is and alter the perceived mood of the football public. The level of criticism aimed at the Irish team and management by these ****s during the last campaign was nothing short of criminal. From the disgruntled numpties in the stands to the gentlemen’s club punditry on RTE, the efforts of both players and manager were torn to shreds in a storm of post match analysis and character assassination.

In the wake of Ireland’s performance in the Euros and the subsequent heavy defeat to Germany, the chorus of requests for Trapʼs head was embarrassing and bordered on betrayal. For a man who narrowly missed out on a World Cup place to a piece of blatant cheating in a playoff with France and successfully brought Ireland through the next qualifying campaign for the Euros to be marched on in this manner was shameful.

Trap was appointed to do a job. He did it how he saw fit. He was successful in doing that job. Not everyone agreed with the way he went about it, myself included, but I would not call for his sacking because he lost against the likes of Spain, Italy and Germany.

Expectations were inflated and distorted. Maybe it’s because of the golden generation of football fans who grew up with Jack Charltonʼs success and Mick McCarthyʼs World Cup heroics in Japan and South Korea. I am also of that generation so I understand what it’s like to experience an Ireland team competing on the world stage and holding their own against the best. It’s easy to yearn for those days and lament these ones but with a bit objectivity, the gulf in quality between the squads at Jack and Mickʼs disposal and players that Trap had is glaringly obvious. I only wish I had realized how spoilt I was at the time of the 1990 and 94 world cups and beyond.

It doesn’t sit well with me that Trap was dismissed in the manner in which he was. It gives the impression that his reign as Ireland manager was a failure when in reality it was roaring success. I felt as if the noisy nay-sayers bullied Trap out of the job. The animosity towards him was completely undeserved when in the cold light of day it was a miracle that Trap achieved a World Cup play-off place and Euro qualification with the worst Ireland team in living memory. This is not to disrespect the players. They give their all every time they pull on the jersey and I applaud them for it but the harsh reality is that they are just not good enough collectively or individually to compete at any sort of level. Thatʼs just the way it is at the moment.

Going back to that night at the Aviva, I stood for the national anthem with a bit of a knot in my stomach because of the lack of attendance. My Facebook friends will remember a bitter update accompanied by a picture of the empty stadium. However, that feeling wore off as the match got underway and another feeling gradually took itʼs place. As I looked around at the fans who had bothered to come to the game a few thoughts came to mind. I was glad that it was only the actual supporters here. I hadnʼt heard a whinging misery merchant since I arrived which was a nice change.

Maybe this is way forward. Let the ****s stay at home. They have no idea what it means to support the team anyway. They donʼt appreciate the effort and pride that these players represent when they go out on the pitch. The people here are the people who I want to sit with. The people here are the ones who stayed back after the Euro games to sing the team off the pitch regardless of the crushing defeats. The people here are the ones who are consistently voted the best supporters in the world is spite of the whinging contingent that stays at home. It occurred to me that I was happy to sit in a half empty stadium.

I propose that we reduce the capacity of the Aviva by half. Then it will never be a question of being half empty or half full. It will always be full. Full of real supporters.
    A fair amount of bitterness there - a lot of it over-simplified and sanctimonious - but especially for the poor old Geography teacher!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Paul, that's not what I was saying, you attacked DI for citing wikipedia (or indeed, making any sort of citation). I prefer documented and reviewed evidence to anecdotal evidence when you're trying to make a rational argument, as the latter is incredibly subjective. You say you know all about the symbolism of the poppy from living in the UK and being immersed in the culture. Well Stutts lives here too, and he takes different symbolism from it. I live here as well, have an English parent and dual nationality, I have a different interpretation again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Yeah, but I don't live in Dollis Hill like Paul does

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Since ye're all talking about poppies. Ray Houghton is the first person I've seen on Sky Sports not wearing one this year.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    That's patently ridiculous, you're assuming that your interpretation of those experiences is correct, so anyone with a different viewpoint on the same experiences is wrong by default. The vast majority of learning is done through reading. Are you saying all of this is wrong, because the person involved didn't actively experience the Renaissance/American Revolution/World War II?
    I read at college and learnt nothing, I worked for 2 years and learnt everything.

*Everything is relative to what i had been reading at college. I'm just saying that personally thats how I learn, I'm not saying if you learn through reading you don't learn, but definitely experiencing something learns you better, again in my opinion, than reading. Give me practical over theoretical anyday.

Stutts you could have saved a lot of needless posts had you said that earlier

Peadar I know your father is english and you live there, apologies I thought it was a veiled attempt to discredit my posts.

From personal experience the people I work with aren't the people I mix with. I meet people from all walks of life through various avenues, wrt to the poppy I'd say I've seen a lot of it.

DI, in Manchester would you see many South Asians wearing the poppy, be objective, bar maybe nepalese I mean?
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 07/11/2013 at 4:21 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The one thing you don't seem to have learned is that your experience is not universal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I see your point Paul, but citing stuff isn't really a conflict between practical and theoretical. Wikipedia is under constant review, and the people who edit the articles about the symbolism of the Celtic cross, for example, will be people who have experience, or at least have carried out research, into far-right culture. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about with regard to the poppy, clearly you do, even if I don't agree with your interpretations, but anyone can say whatever they want about their own subjective experiences. Giving sources and citations outside of that does give extra weight to what you're saying.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    872 Posts
    This thread is starting to get as bad as the eligibility thread!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I see your point Paul, but citing stuff isn't really a conflict between practical and theoretical. Wikipedia is under constant review, and the people who edit the articles about the symbolism of the Celtic cross, for example, will be people who have experience, or at least have carried out research, into far-right culture. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about with regard to the poppy, clearly you do, even if I don't agree with your interpretations, but anyone can say whatever they want about their own subjective experiences. Giving sources and citations outside of that does give extra weight to what you're saying.
    I don't disagree with this, but actually i would put more weight to someone who appears to be leaning towards one way, but then perhaps cites through whatever means something that goes against that, what that shows to me is that they have formed an opinion, based on experience mostly, and thats what has given them their belief or altered it slightly. I'm probably not articulating myself well here, but history* for example is almost always stated from some subjective point, if you can find someone who gives an opinion based on experiences with counter arguments, then thats of more value than anything you read from anyone else. And i know yes this could be documented...
    *history could be anything really.

CD - I have indeed learnt, but I just know that my experience has lead me to be objective enough and therefore the superiast **

** I know you textbook folk on here won't see that joke, so that is a joke and i know there is no such word for those pedantic textbook worms, which is most of you :P
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 07/11/2013 at 5:00 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Just when you think it can't get any worse.

It does.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Who's that, tricky?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    DI, in Manchester would you see many South Asians wearing the poppy, be objective, bar maybe nepalese I mean?
    No, but that's the point, isn't it? They may view it differently to how those who do wear it view it. Some, naturally, may not have any feeling, ill or otherwise, towards the poppy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I don't disagree with this, but actually i would put more weight to someone who appears to be leaning towards one way, but then perhaps cites through whatever means something that goes against that, what that shows to me is that they have formed an opinion, based on experience mostly, and thats what has given them their belief or altered it slightly.
    Not sure if I'm reading you correctly - I'm more used to reading my text-books, obvs - but agnosticism, if you will, on any matter doesn't have to be seen as a weakness in light of a lack of evidence to justify taking a stance one way or the other beyond that lack of conviction on a particular subject. It's just an adherence to the principles of critical thought, simple logic and reason. I think it's a strength to be able to admit you just don't or can't know for certain the truth or otherwise of something beyond your own subjective perception.

Anyway, Martin's looking well!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I might think a lot of things about Keane, depending on the time of day, but him and Mon wearing the poppy is a non-issue and regardless whether they wear one in their own time or whether it was just stuck on their lapel without making a donation.

Would I wear a poppy if I was getting paid 200k and it was part of the uniform? I think so - I'd probably just do a De Valera.

I'd wear an Easter Lily no problem, I never had an issue with wearing one, though some other people had an issue with me wearing one. But I suppose the Easter Lily means different things to different people. I spent plenty of time travelling around Germany and especially in the villages you get a small insight into different aspects of the devastation effected in the world wars, in the war memorials that are usually to be seen in the village centre. A 2 horse village and a war memorial with some 2 or 3 hundred names and it's nice to see when it's well looked after. Some people can see a war memorial to dead soldiers as glorifying the war effort, some can see it as a living monument to an anti war sentiment and wanton destruction of a generation. The war memorial should be neutral, people can make out of it what they want from it, but it should be there.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Just to ensure it remains so, McClean the weak spineless git should have one on his jersey this weekend!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Who's that, tricky?

Any the wiser?

(It's our new midfield).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Who's that, tricky?

Anyway, Martin's looking well!

Looks like Andy Reid will be playing if they have made a made to measure shirt for him already.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Can anyone explain why Alex Bruce's pic is on the link for the squad announcement?
    To appease Not Brazil?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Meanwhile...

Football and politics, there; mixing...
    Hmm, if the cap fits. Though funny how the English can make do with just the one...

Page 8 of 128 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast