Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Domestic Prospects

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I do think that thread goes to show just how few of the league's players are likely to make the jump across. Of those mentioned, I think only Stevens and Kearns have gone and neither have established themselves with their clubs, and that was over two years ago.
    Kearns was recently released by Peterborough who will be in L1 for the coming season, but he was never given a run of starts despite doing well off the bench and fans warming to him.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 23/05/2013 at 2:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    This thread is pretty pointless though. You can't discuss "prospects" with people who haven't seen the players play. And everyone who has seen them play is already discussing them elsewhere
    Insular L.O.I. fan, much ?

Making my point for me while dismissing the same point.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Kearns was recently released by Peterborough who will be in L1 for the coming season, but he was never given a run of starts despite doing well off the bench and fans warning to him.
    Warning to him, what does that mean? Only a flag waver, or bar stooler would write something like that. You must be a cross channel spy. The Cold War never ended.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Warning to him, what does that mean? Only a flag waver, or bar stooler would write something like that. You must be a cross channel spy. The Cold War never ended.
    The war will go on for as long as the M & N keys live too close to each other it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Insular L.O.I. fan, much ?

Making my point for me while dismissing the same point.
    I'm dismissing your pleas to stay on topic as you were the one to stray off topic. I've many thousands of posts on here and I bet you can't find one 'insular' post from me.

Happy to discuss football of any sort with anybody. I don't see the point in trying to point out potential stars to people when we all know the failure rate is high. If players are good enough, they'll make it. All the 'watch this lad' threads do no good IMO
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Happy to discuss football of any sort with anybody. I don't see the point in trying to point out potential stars to people when we all know the failure rate is high. If players are good enough, they'll make it. All the 'watch this lad' threads do no good IMO
    So, to recap, just so I'm clear, in your book there is no point discussing the merits & demerits of emerging Irish talent in our own league, seven of whom make up the most recent international squad of ours.

Ok, we may not be able to influence their career path by discussing them, but I cant accept there is no point to it, because before our eyes each weekend in grounds around the country, are the next batch, and by that rationale are we to only discuss things in life we can directly influence Dodge ?

What a dull and pointless orbit that would make for.

And if you failing to see the connect between your not being willing to discuss players in the L.O.I. with those not watching L.O.I. each week, as I believe was exactly what you originally said - and there being an insular element to that mindset, well there isn't much I can do for you.

Yes, dismiss my plea to get a very worthy thread back on topic, Dodge, your thousands of posts and attendant ego by the looks of if does surely bequeath such powers.

Perhaps, I don't enjoy the illusion of such powers due to my lack of posts on here. Perhaps I had other matters to attend to down the years.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Your whole post will be sacrificed on the word "our". Great post CTP.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So, to recap, just so I'm clear, in your book there is no point discussing the merits & demerits of emerging Irish talent in our own league, seven of whom make up the most recent international squad of ours.
    I think his point is that there's no point having a thread in this forum, which is more commonly frequented by people who don't follow the domestic league, when in fact these players are already being discussed by LOI fans in the relevant forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No, there's no point in a specific thread dedicated to players who may/may not become international standard in the future. Of course players' performances will be discussed. It's pretty clear that no player playing in the LOI will be selected for the national team, so until they move I don't see the relevence in this forum.

Ok, we may not be able to influence their career path by discussing them, but I cant accept there is no point to it, because before our eyes each weekend in grounds around the country, are the next batch, and by that rationale are we to only discuss things in life we can directly influence Dodge ?
    You can discuss what you like, I'm pointing out why I'm against these threads as seeing as the response to a previous thread disappointed you so much, maybe others agree with me.

And if you failing to see the connect between your not being willing to discuss players in the L.O.I. with those not watching L.O.I. each week, as I believe was exactly what you originally said - and there being an insular element to that mindset, well there isn't much I can do for you.
    Once again, I'm happy to discuss any player's abilities or performances but I don't see what good a one way discussion is?

Yes, dismiss my plea to get a very worthy thread back on topic, Dodge, your thousands of posts and attendant ego by the looks of if does surely bequeath such powers.
    So that's you admitting that you can't find any insular posts then is it? Me thinking that supporters pointing out potential internationals isn't based on any LOI insularity, it's based on years and years of seeing the majority of touted youngsters fail to make the international grade. To some here they're quite happy to jump on these players and call them failures. I don't believe anybody who makes a career out of football is a failure, so I don't like give others the opportunity to proclaim that.

Perhaps, I don't enjoy the illusion of such powers due to my lack of posts on here. Perhaps I had other matters to attend to down the years.
    Nobody here, including myself, has ever mentioned your number of posts. I brought up mine to show that while I may disagree with you on this issue, it's because of the issue and not because of any prejudice I have about non-LOI supporters. Unless you can find those posts that gave you that impression...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I think his point is that there's no point having a thread in this forum, which is more commonly frequented by people who don't follow the domestic league, when in fact these players are already being discussed by LOI fans in the relevant forum.
    I accept and see that, at least partly, but there was also a strong element of, 'no point discussing them here, with non L.O.I. regulars' which is nonsense. And inaccurate.

The thread was placed in the L.O.I. forum by me originally in 2011 and ran to one page + one post, so I, and ill wager, many others welcome its reemergence here and those who don't want to join in aren't forced to do so.

Also CD, my reply to the 'outing' on the original thread when I said '' I assure you Sir '' was laced with irony, I got what was said and how it was intended, but overall a joined up discussion, on one thread, for all to enjoy on our best young emerging players was not wanted in there.

For whatever reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I accept and see that, at least partly, but there was also a strong element of, 'no point discussing them here, with non L.O.I. regulars' which is nonsense. And inaccurate.
    It's inaccurate to think there was an element of that to my post.

You're continuing to make the fact that some fans didn't wish to engage with you on this on topic into a LOI fans versus non LOI fans issue, which is disingenuos at best.

Now I suggest if you want to discuss it further with me, you can PM me and if mods feel the need to lock this, and let a new thread emerge, then fair enough
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    The one thing i asked to ensure that this thread stayed focussed and had at least some value was to keep it relevant and respectful. I hadnt anticipated that it would disintegrate due to a clash of LOI supporters egos. I thought there could have been value in a thread for LOI to promote prospects and increase awareness for those fans who dont attend matches but nonetheless have an interest in and look out for potential Irish prospects.

Whatever credibility this thread might have had is likely gone now so best to delete or lock.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just put it back on track, Stu. Has Rory Gaffney's stock fallen since the summer - he seems to be back fit but I'm not hearing anything about him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Whatever credibility this thread might have had is likely gone now so best to delete or lock.
    There is value in it and all you say is correct, and it's a worthy topic which I think it will recover from its most unfortunate birthing difficulties of earlier this afternoon to become a valuable resource to track these lads, as I'm sure we all, all shades of fan, on here only wish them well and want to see their potential realized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Just put it back on track, Stu. Has Rory Gaffney's stock fallen since the summer - he seems to be back fit but I'm not hearing anything about him.
    He is fit, and available but hasn't broken straight back in the side, no. He has made a few appearances recently but I haven't seen him play yet this year. He did look a cut above this time last year. Hard to really judge a guy who's preseason was so curtailed as his.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Gaffneys inclusion in the thread will just stoke the fire as pro and anti ginger factions on foot ie prepare their battle axes.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Don't let this thread get sidetracked lads. I have been away too long to know what the hell is happening in the LOI and don't have the time to find out. For me, the story and journey of players like Daniel Kearns or Enda Stevens is as important and interesting as that of Robbie Keane. This thread can be used for years to come and keep those who are interested in the loop.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He is fit, and available but hasn't broken straight back in the side, no. He has made a few appearances recently but I haven't seen him play yet this year. He did look a cut above this time last year. Hard to really judge a guy who's preseason was so curtailed as his.
    True - maybe the mid-season break will allow him to catch up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Don't let this thread get sidetracked lads. I have been away too long to know what the hell is happening in the LOI and don't have the time to find out. For me, the story and journey of players like Daniel Kearns or Enda Stevens is as important and interesting as that of Robbie Keane. This thread can be used for years to come and keep those who are interested in the loop.
    I wouldn't have thought the LOI was any more time-consuming to follow than English football, probably a lot less so, especially with most of the European leagues about to finish for the summer. Stick on MNS on the RTE player every now and then and you'll soon be up to speed. Well, as long as Giles isn't on that week.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    True - maybe the mid-season break will allow him to catch up a bit.

I wouldn't have thought the LOI was any more time-consuming to follow than English football, probably a lot less so, especially with most of the European leagues about to finish for the summer. Stick on MNS on the RTE player every now and then and you'll soon be up to speed. Well, as long as Giles isn't on that week.
    I could be wrong as I haven't checked in a while, but the RTE player did only work in ireland and wasn't available overseas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    I could be wrong as I haven't checked in a while, but the RTE player did only work in ireland and wasn't available overseas.
    That was actually a problem at the start of the season but they addressed that since. I believe MNS is available worldwide and the live games are available everywhere except the UK. I'm not sure if the live games are available in the UK for playback though.

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast