Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where should we play Andy Reid?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where should we play Andy Reid?

On recent form there is no way Andy Reid can be left out of the team. Duff is pretty much first choice on the left though, so where do we put him?

I suppose it's either the right or the middle. Finnan and Miller can play on the right and Kilbane, Holland and Kavanagh can play in the middle.

I think Reid might be better in the middle simply because of the quality of his passing, which is miles ahead of any player I have ever seen in an Irish shirt and although he is small he looks well able to get stuck in, opinions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd stick him on the right. I'd have him up front for Cyprus if Robbie's not fit.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reid is class and was superb last night but wouldn't put him in the centre of the park for the same reason i wouldn't have Miller there - i don't think they are up to it yet. Reid chased back well last night but i think he'd be badly exposed in the middle. Lot of people will disagree with me but i think our strongest side won't accomodate both Miller and Reid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No point discussing this.
    Reid is going on the left with Duff up front.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    While you mention that he gets stuck in, I've seen nothing to suggest he can perform the defensive side of a CM role for 90minutes.
    To be honest I don't know why people keep insisting that left wingers, right wingers and left backs can do a job for us in central midfield ahead of men who are experienced in that position and have already delivered for us there.

Anyway, Reid...

I'd play him on the right if Duff gets his game at Chelsea, but on last night's showing Reid currently looks a better option for the left than Duff for the cyprus game (cue homicidal backlash ).
    I'd play him upfront before I'd play him in CM though.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'd say bit false judging Reid purely on last nights game as that was like a shop window for him gievn he wants to leave his club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Reid has been very good since he came in and has played every match except the one against Jamaica, so I dont think people are judging him on last night alone. People who watch all the game will notice that he is a quality player that is not afraid to work either. We will have a midfield forward line of the following players

Keane,
    Holland/Kilbane
    Reid
    Duff
    Keane
    Morrison

How Kerr plays it is unknown but I think the option of Reid and Duff playing on the flanks and swapping and changing is a good one, that would leave the full backs of the opposing team, in trouble. Both are both intelligent enough to do this. Having Miller, Kilbane or Holland,Finnan come off the bench is not a a bad situation to be in. The only other alternative to above is to play Duff upfront instead of Morrison, and play either Miller or Finnan on the right. Andy Reid will start for Ireland, so will Roy Keane, so will Robbie Keane, so will Damien Duff, and one out of Matt Holland and Kevin Kilbane. The final place all depends on where Duff plays, if he plays upfront it goes to Miller or Finnan. If Duff plays midfield it will go to Morrison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    How Kerr plays it is unknown but I think the option of Reid and Duff playing on the flanks and swapping and changing is a good one, that would leave the full backs of the opposing team, in trouble. Both are both intelligent enough to do this.
    That can be a very dangerous tactic and I don't agree with trying it out in important games. Yes, the odd change of sides as the play demands but not as a tactic where by we get them to deliberately rotate during the game.
    It's best to give guys a job and get them to stick to it.
    You could start with Reid on the left and Duff on the right and switch them if it wasn't working out.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    No point discussing this.
    Reid is going on the left with Duff up front.
    Where exactly do you get the idea that Kerr is going to break up the Keane/Morrison partnership?

Personally I think Duff up front is one of the worst ideas ever conceived. Cheers for that one Mick.

I don't agree that Reid is a better option on the left than Duff. While Reid is a more versitile and probably more complete player, I think Duff is still a better left winger, so I think he should play there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I'd stick him on the right. I'd have him up front for Cyprus if Robbie's not fit.
    That's exactly what I'd do too.

And what Carnstien said about the absolutley stupid notion that it's a good idea to absolutley waste the most talented player we have by far.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I would play him up front instead of Morrison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour
    I would play him up front instead of Morrison.
    Based on what? His performances for Ireland in that position?
    I'm going to have to set Micheal Martin on you because whatever you're smoking, it's melting your brain.

All I'll say on this is, wait and see.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Could be left, could be right, depends on whether Robbie's been hurt that week or not.
    Tea. Corduroy. Space Travel.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Reid to play wide right.

Duff is wasted upfront. This is surely glaringly obvious by now. The whole balance of the team is thrown off by taking him off the wing. Likewise, even if we are short options upfront I'd still keep Reid on the right. Duff & Reid can swap wings through the game and their markers will be all over the shop.

Two tricky wide players, a solid core in the middle and mobility and height up front is how we function best.

Robbie & Alan Lee to start upfront vs Cyprus for me. Maybe Connolly (at least he’s a proper forward) with Lee to come on later. I think I’m the only one on this site who thinks Lee has something to offer though! With Duff and Reid putting in good crosses Lee’s heading ability will be a real asset for us. Connolly & Lee in Robbie’s absence. Just look at how well Doc did upfront for us last year (4 goals, two of them crucial). Lee is miles better than Doc.

Morrison has to be dropped at this stage and Macken had no chance on Wednesday to show he’s any better.

In my mind Keane, Duff & Reid are certain starters in midfield. Miller is by no means automatic even if he does play for MUFC and Reid only plays Div1. Reid is clearly the player in form.

I think Kerr prefers Holland and then Kilbane in the middle so I don’t see Miller starting.

Cyprus were missing a lot of players last time they were here so it’ll be a lot tougher this time. Oh for a first minute goal like last time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I think I’m the only one on this site who thinks Lee has something to offer though.
    You're not, i think he's a better option than Morrison to, although to be fair I've only seen him play for us in friendlies.
    I'd have him upfront with Robbie too.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    although to be fair I've only seen him play for us in friendlies.
    All of the new caps, including Reid, have only played friendlies so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that. We've got to give them a competitive start sometime and at home to Cyprus is better than away to Switzerland or France.

I reckon we've little to lose by trying him against Cyprus. He can't be any worse than Clinton HorrorMiss has been of late. I reckon he could link well with Robbie.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    In my mind Keane, Duff & Reid are certain starters in midfield. Miller is by no means automatic even if he does play for MUFC and Reid only plays Div1. Reid is clearly the player in form.
    Have to agree with that. Miller is a good player, he's definately premiership standard and will do well for Ireland for the next 10 years, but I think Reid is really something special.

I can see the potential in him to be one of the best players to ever pull on a green jersey which I don't think you can say about Miller.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    I can see the potential in him to be one of the best players to ever pull on a green jersey which I don't think you can say about Miller.
    Bit hard on Miller. He's by no means that player yet but definitely has the potential. We expect too much of very young players. I think Miller will go on to be a fantastic player (perhaps one of the best) although Man U may not be the best place for his development.

I agree Lee is worth a look and would have liked to have seen him against Bulgaria. We've done the big man thing so many times with a far poorer player in the shape of Doc and done ok. Stands to reason a quite talented big man could be effective with Robbie. Although i don't buy into that Robbie needs to play with a big man bull. Robbie needs to play with an out and out striker - big or small. Clinton is still my choice though provided he's getting games at Brum.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Based on what? His performances for Ireland in that position?
    I'm going to have to set Micheal Martin on you because whatever you're smoking, it's melting your brain.

All I'll say on this is, wait and see.
    Based on the fact he scored 13-14 goals for Forest, a few more
    than Morrison scored for Brum.

Beanie
    I have had a good luck at all the young lads at recent Irish Friendlies and playing for their respective clubs, and i Have too say it is Andy Reid that has most definitely impressed me most, he is a very gifted player, He shouldn't be compared to our most gifted player - Duff, he is different in that his range of passing is far more expansive than Duffs (I think his first touch on his debut against Canada was a killer pass from midfield over the head of two defenders to Robbies feet), yet he probably isn't able to beat men on the wing with the same ruthlessness Duff does on a regular basis. So Duffer gets the left wing

So the dilemma is where do we play potentially the most visionary player we have had since Giles or Brady.
    I would say he is two small to partner Roy in midfield, but then again i'm starting to think Miller is too..
    For the game against Cyprus i wud play him out of position on the right..

But his future is a playermaker behind the front two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast