Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland could buy out James McClean’s sell-on clause

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Out of curiosity, how likely is McClean to win the PFAI Young Player award at the end of the season? If he were to win it I can't imagine Sunderland not receiving substantial offers for the player during the summer, almost by default.

It's interesting to note the fees paid for recent winners of it, even without the likes of Fabregas, Ronaldo.

Jermaine Jenas £7m
    Scott Parker £10m
    Ashley Young £15-20m
    James Milner £24m

But would they definitely sell? I suppose the fact they're going back to Derry suggests they would.

Would McClean definitely want to leave?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd say it's unlikely. I think the voting on the PFA (I assume that's what you mean) awards takes place in January, as far as I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    I'm a big fan of McClean's, but I don't see how a player who has only played twelve first team league matches, and made his debut a week before Christmas, could be in the running. I'd rule Gylfi Sigurdsson out on the same basis, or else I'd think he was a challenger. I suspect Phil Jones is in pole position to win it. That's by the by. I still think his value is c.£6m

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    That's not completely true, they are quite fond of the old "copy and paste" jobs, passing off others work as their own! Their sports journo once stole an article from our matchday programme, without a credit to the true author.
    Isn't Artie Duffy, Journal sports ed, also the match-day program editor? He certainly was for a while. Still should've credited if so, but just saying the guy has (had) a significant stake in the program make-up.

Just to say on McClean - guy is built for Premier League football and is only going to get better. Even if his talent and fitness suddenly disappear (unlikely barring catastophic injury) he has a sell-on in the next 2-3 years of at least (bottom, bottom level) £5 million. I don't think closer to £8-£9million is so unreasonable, particularly given the dearth of really top quality young left wingers in the Premier League. Secretly I think he could go for an absolute fortune (with a slight, obvious bias).

With that in mind £750,000 is the base minimum Derry should look at imo. At that point might as well round it up and go for six figures. I wouldn't be against them holding on the sell-on though - the Premier League's sell on fees for touted young players are ridiculous. We're almost certain to get at least £500,000 from any sell-on at this point, so might as well hold on to it and see how far James can go. Not much percentage in just selling out - if we can afford to hold out, that is...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheel30 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how likely is McClean to win the PFAI Young Player award at the end of the season?
    unless an LOI side signs him I'd say near impossible. I mean hes had a good year....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Kinda reminded now of Ali G and the USA becoming USAiiiiiiiiii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-3063180.html

Cork City installed a 10pc sell-on clause in the transfer which brought Kevin Doyle to Reading. However, the cash-strapped Leesiders accepted a figure in the region of £200,000 to buy out the clause when they hit serious trouble in November 2008.

The following summer, Doyle joined Wolves in a £6.5m deal that would have netted £650,000 for the Leesiders under the terms of the sell-on clause.

Is there any instance where a club was offered the clause being bought out, accepted the offer but the player was then sold for less?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    we didnt get close to £200,000 as it happens. Tom Coughlan was a disaster

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    While o'neill is in charge you'd expect Sunderland to at least be in the Europa league spots every year. He's a very premier league type player, so i don't see the serie A, or la liga clubs putting big offers in. So that would make it unlikely that McLean would be tempted by anything outside the "big 5" of utd, city, chelsea, spurs, liverpool. From those clubs only liverpool would strike me as a club he could go to in the short-mid term, so i think it'd be a big risk to turn down 500k now if they are offered it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance kid View Post
    From those clubs only liverpool would strike me as a club he could go to in the short-mid term, so i think it'd be a big risk to turn down 500k now if they are offered it.
    Some of Sunderland's outgoings in the last few years:

Kenwynne Jones to Stoke - £8 million
    Darren Bent to Aston Villa - £18 million
    Jordan Henderson to Liverpool - £16 million
    Martyn Waghorn to Leicester - £3 million
    Greg Halford to Wolves - £2 million
    Michael Chopra to Cardiff - £4million
    Dean Whitehead to Stoke - £3 million
    Danny Collins to Stoke - £2.75 million

I don't think it's unfair to say the likes of Stoke, Everton (with more cash), Newcastle, a resurgant Villa or perhaps even Fulham or Swansea could have a look at McClean if he was available.

And if they were to buy it's fair to say he'd be worth more than the likes of Waghorn, Whitehead and Chopra, particularly given his youth and the general lack of quality left wingers.

Given 500k is 15 per cent of just over £3 million, surely the above scenario shows there's more percentage in keeping hold of him. Unlikely we'll get much less than 500k but a great chance we'll get much more - and that's without considering his potential should his astronomic rise continue.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Some of Sunderland's outgoings in the last few years:

Kenwynne Jones to Stoke - £8 million
    Darren Bent to Aston Villa - £18 million
    Jordan Henderson to Liverpool - £16 million
    Martyn Waghorn to Leicester - £3 million
    Greg Halford to Wolves - £2 million
    Michael Chopra to Cardiff - £4million
    Dean Whitehead to Stoke - £3 million
    Danny Collins to Stoke - £2.75 million

I don't think it's unfair to say the likes of Stoke, Everton (with more cash), Newcastle, a resurgant Villa or perhaps even Fulham or Swansea could have a look at McClean if he was available.

And if they were to buy it's fair to say he'd be worth more than the likes of Waghorn, Whitehead and Chopra, particularly given his youth and the general lack of quality left wingers.

Given 500k is 15 per cent of just over £3 million, surely the above scenario shows there's more percentage in keeping hold of him. Unlikely we'll get much less than 500k but a great chance we'll get much more - and that's without considering his potential should his astronomic rise continue.
    Fair points, but O'Neill has a great record of getting absolute loyalty from the type of player McLean is, so i think it'd have to be an outstanding offer for O'Neill to sell. It might take O'Neill going first for Sunderland to consider selling him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    McClean will be at Sunderland next year, if the does well then though, it's where interest could be taken up in summer 2013.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    As someone earlier said, Sunderland must have a reason for doing this now. They are not looking to give Derry free money, so they must think there's a decent chance McClean will go for substantial bucks in the next 2-3 years. It's all a judgement call of course, but I think Derry would be foolish to jump at an offer too early. Of course there's a price at which it might make sense, but it is a bit of a gamble really. Stick, or twist ? He could go on to rocket in value, or they might be looking to offload him down a Division next year. (Stating the obvious I know!) Personally I'd hold out for while.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    As someone earlier said, Sunderland must have a reason for doing this now. They are not looking to give Derry free money, so they must think there's a decent chance McClean will go for substantial bucks in the next 2-3 years. It's all a judgement call of course, but I think Derry would be foolish to jump at an offer too early. Of course there's a price at which it might make sense, but it is a bit of a gamble really. Stick, or twist ? He could go on to rocket in value, or they might be looking to offload him down a Division next year. (Stating the obvious I know!) Personally I'd hold out for while.
    Note the "could". I highly doubt there has been an approach from Sudnerland. A similiar article appeared about decade ago when Owen Morrison was playing for Sheffield Wednesday and "apparently" Liverpool were certs to buy him.

Nice way to fill a page, but the chairman has confirmed there has been no contact.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MariborKev View Post
    Note the "could". I highly doubt there has been an approach from Sudnerland. A similiar article appeared about decade ago when Owen Morrison was playing for Sheffield Wednesday and "apparently" Liverpool were certs to buy him.

Nice way to fill a page, but the chairman has confirmed there has been no contact.
    If there was no contact, where'd the story originate from Kevin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    If there was no contact, where'd the story originate from Kevin?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it cames from the player's agent.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Tweet from Joel Taggart a BBCNI sports journalist.

"Derry City chairman Philip O'Doherty has said he's been told that Man Utd have expressed an interest in former Brandywell star James McClean"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Tweet from Joel Taggart a BBCNI sports journalist.

"Derry City chairman Philip O'Doherty has said he's been told that Man Utd have expressed an interest in former Brandywell star James McClean"
    This rumour mentioned on SKY Sports news this morning with (estimated) price tag of 12 million. Maybe nothing more than agent generated twaddle but unless Derry were desperate for cash (as was example with Cork/Doyle buyout referred to) I suspect they will not be in any rush to deal.
    Think it would be better for McClean as a player to stay another season at Sunderland - guaranteed playing time etc but always a concern that "second season syndrome" might slash his possible value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    we didnt get close to £200,000 as it happens. Tom Coughlan was a disaster
    Well you signed him 2 years previously from Pats for nothign, so you did quite well out of it...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast