Thread: Televised Games 2012

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

Televised Games 2012

First ones announced:

2 March: Drogheda United v Shamrock Rovers live from Hunk Dory Park at 7.00pm on RTÉ Two

16 March: Cork City v Shamrock Rovers live from Turners Cross at 7.00pm on RTÉ Two

25 March: Bohemians v St Patrick's Athletic live from Dalymount Park at 3:45pm on RTÉ Two

30 March: Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians live from Tallaght Stadium at 7.00pm on RTÉ Two

6 April: St Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers live from Richmond Park at 7.00pm on RTÉ Two

24 games in total to be carried live by RTE this year. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/...icity_rte.html
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    4 Shamrock games in the first 5 weeks?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    4 Shamrock games in the first 5 weeks?
    Two titles in a row and made an impact in Europe last year. Their position in the public eye is probably equal to the rest of the division combined at the moment. Might draw in a few casual viewers. It's up to Pat's, Bohs, Cork and Drogheda at that point to make their own case.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Two titles in a row and made an impact in Europe last year. Their position in the public eye is probably equal to the rest of the division combined at the moment. Might draw in a few casual viewers. It's up to Pat's, Bohs, Cork and Drogheda at that point to make their own case.
    Apart from the first games, the next four are all decent games to be showing. Shamrock are defending champions so understandable their opener is being shown despite not being the most appealing that weekend.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    RTE are fooked for cash as well I'd say so trips outside the pale are even more of a burden to them than before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    All this 'my club should be shown' rubbish comes around every year. They were always going to show the champions and the team who simply has the most public interest. Aside from which, they are all relatively big games.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

8. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    The defending champions are traditionally the televised game of the opening weekend, and the other three Rovers games are easily the biggest ties of the respective series.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I can't think of anything more off putting to potential viewers than one club being shoved down your throat every week.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    The defending champions are traditionally the televised game of the opening weekend, and the other three Rovers games are easily the biggest ties of the respective series.
    I see your point Sonny and thats fair enough. I suppose what other clubs might be thinking is that the FAI represent all clubs. There are 12 teams in the top division and only 5 will be represented in the first 5 games. Not great in the interest of fairness. Suppose a lot will depend on what other teams are shown as the season progresses.

Do the FAI still not pass on the RTE money to the clubs that host live home games?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

12. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I see your point Sonny and thats fair enough. I suppose what other clubs might be thinking is that the FAI represent all clubs. There are 12 teams in the top division and only 5 will be represented in the first 5 games. Not great in the interest of fairness. Suppose a lot will depend on what other teams are shown as the season progresses.
    There is not a single league in the world where televised games are determined by fairness.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    The likes of UCD, Bray only got shown on the box towards the end of the season if they got tangled up with the top team's title run ins

There should be a quota of a minimum number of live games each of the 12 teams is involved in like how the Premier League operates. Minimum of 2 games for every team would be fair enough.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    There is not a single league in the world where televised games are determined by fairness.
    English Premier League is one. It's worked well for them for the past 20 seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Anyone from Sligo confirm that they refused to allow fixture changes to facilitate TV coverage?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    English Premier League is one. It's worked well for them for the past 20 seasons.
    I know they have some sort of quota, but it's hardly a comparable situation seeing as every single major game in the EPL is televised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Rumour doing the rounds that the reason there are no Sligo games on the box is because RTE couldn't get anyone from Sligo to confirm fixture changes.

If true Sligo are fast becoming as much of a laughing stock as Bohs!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    In Fairness to sligo,Rte might have said to sligo will you move kick off to a stupid time, (ie last year I remember 1 o clock kick off on Sat on RTE), so sligo would right to tell Rte to **** off especially if it was going to cost them money.

It will be interesting to see what attendances will be like for the Sunday afternoon games as it will clash with Gaa and premier league games

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Anyone else find Ryle 'Rugby' Nugent's comment hilarious?

'A peak of 341,000 viewers tuned in to our Cup final coverage last year demonstrating the increasing interest and appeal of the sport.'
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    Rumour doing the rounds that the reason there are no Sligo games on the box is because RTE couldn't get anyone from Sligo to confirm fixture changes.

If true Sligo are fast becoming as much of a laughing stock as Bohs!
    Its the FAI who are a laughing stock in all this.

As I have asked above, do the FAI pay out to the home team for the shortfall on the gate that a live game will bring? No, I believe.

Its absolutely amazing that by hosting a game and showing it on RTE that the club can actually lose money. Yet the FAI bang on about clubs budgets and then go and put them in a position where they have to loose on the money on a match. Or else put it on at stupid o'clock like the game against Derry in The Showgrounds last season.

Im all for extra LOI coverage but it dosent favour clubs finacially at the moment?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Why exactly do they even move the times its not like they have anything worth watching on RTE that that they would have to move games to stop them clashing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Its the FAI who are a laughing stock in all this.

As I have asked above, do the FAI pay out to the home team for the shortfall on the gate that a live game will bring? No, I believe.

Its absolutely amazing that by hosting a game and showing it on RTE that the club can actually lose money. Yet the FAI bang on about clubs budgets and then go and put them in a position where they have to loose on the money on a match. Or else put it on at stupid o'clock like the game against Derry in The Showgrounds last season.

Im all for extra LOI coverage but it dosent favour clubs finacially at the moment?

I agree clubs should get some TV money but to say no to live tv coverage because it might affect gate receipts is a very short term and insular way of looking at things. Do you think when your club's management commitee were negotiating with potential new main sponsors in the off season that the number of times Sligo matches were live on television came up in conversation at all? I think you will find there is direct correlation between amount of money received in sponsorship and amount of television coverage a club receives. I know it was a big factor with SEAT sponsoring us. Another thing worth considering is the ability TV gives a club to market themselves and increase brand awareness. Most organisations would kill to be given a 2 hour TV slot to market themselves to the public. For the Spurs match last year we got electronic advertising boards in for the night but we gave up some revenue from having our own advertising flashing up on them every few minutes. In between ads for SEAT and Woodies DIY there were ads for Shamrock Rovers season tickets and membership. Short term we lost out on some revenue by not selling that advertising time but long term who knows what we could have gained by advertising ourselves and our brand. That's the way TV coverage should be looked at, yeah you might lose out on a small bit of gate receipts but how many potential new fans and sponsors could you gain from seeing you live on TV?

26. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast