Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Leaving Cert Options

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Leaving Cert Options

I have about a month to decide what subjects I want to do for my Leaving Cert. I have narrowed it down to 7 subjects (I can only pick 4):

Business
    Economics
    Geography
    French
    Spanish
    Chemisty
    Physics

I would also like to do LCVP if possible and I will probaly have to do a language. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmcd View Post
    I have about a month to decide what subjects I want to do for my Leaving Cert. I have narrowed it down to 7 subjects (I can only pick 4):

Business
    Economics
    Geography
    French
    Spanish
    Chemisty
    Physics

I would also like to do LCVP if possible and I will probaly have to do a language. Anyone have any suggestions?
    If you're doing higher maths, and physics, take applied maths as well.
    It's difficult, but what you learn in it will cover one question in physics.
    Best of luck
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts
    The subjects you do are not usually critical for college, though maybe some technical courses require a science subject and the universities other than Trinity require a language. (Double-check advice like this with your school's guidance counciller - it could be out of date).

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to do afterwards? Do you find certain areas suit you well, like languages or science? It's a good idea to play to your strengths. By picking subjects you enjoy, you make it easier to work hard on them when you have to.

In general, it's no harm to keep your options open. You have two business subjects listed, two languages and two sciences. If you pick one of each, it'll keep things more interesting, and breadth of experience helps you decide what you like later.

I understood economics to be more interesting but harder than business. You probably already have a preference between French and Spanish. You probably also prefer one of chemistry and physics. If you make those three decisions, you have to pick one more subject from four. Pick the one you like most.

Tets' advice about Applied Maths is good, providing you like maths and are good at it (Higher B in the Junior Cert at least, I'd suggest). Similarly, I understand Economic History is a nice complementory subject to Economics.