Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attendances - separate (commentary) thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Attendances - separate (commentary) thread

Starting a new thread cos I didn't want to send Stu's stats thread off on a tangent.

PREMIER DIVISION (Last season in brackets)
    Bohs 2829 (2625)
    Cork 4500 (4147)
    Derry 1936 (2265) (missing Drogheda)
    Drogheda 1356 (2038) (missing Bohs, Dublin City, Rovers and Waterford)
    Dublin City 544 (missing Shels)
    Longford 1333 (1586) (missing Waterford)
    Pat's 1925 (2971)
    Rovers 1120 (2038) (missing Drogheda and Waterford)
    Shels 2186 (2573)
    Waterford 2650 (2520) (missing Dublin City)

Assuming the CHF match would've dragged Waterford's average down, that leaves only Bohs and Cork up on last year - everyone else is down, by anything ranging from nearly 50% (Rovers) to 33% (us and Drogs) to just a wee bit (everyone else).

What do people reckon is the cause? Personally, I think it's a combination of the whole nonsense of playing teams four times a season and the ludicrous ticket-price increases pushed through by most clubs since last season. We can't blame competing attractions, as the Premiership is finished and the bogball / stickball is on Sundays.
    Revenge for 2002

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub
    We can't blame competing attractions, as the Premiership is finished and the bogball / stickball is on Sundays.
    And Saturday nights - hence our switch to Fridays. Wasn't down on Friday to see whether it made a difference.

In our case I blame the GAA mentality - most important competitions are knock out's, the league is just a distraction.

I was genuinely shocked at how low the attendance was at Richmond on Tuesday (for both teams), considering it's normally an alright game.

10 team league certainly doesn't help, and a return to 12 is welcome. If we could push that up towards 16 or 18 in the future playing just a home and away series it would be ideal (once there was still a first, for promotion/relegation).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Its also down to the lack of a clear and strategic plan for the future of the game with everything being done for short term solutions.

There is no proper business or marketing plan for the future of el soccer and the perfect solution - the Uefa Licencing system has been undermined by stroke politics in the FAI.Until we have an administration that is totally seperate from influence by the clubs or the internal power struggle within the FAI we will not attract new investors,Fans and Government Grants.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct
    Its also down to the lack of a clear and strategic plan for the future of the game with everything being done for short term solutions.

There is no proper business or marketing plan for the future of el soccer and the perfect solution - the Uefa Licencing system has been undermined by stroke politics in the FAI.Until we have an administration that is totally seperate from influence by the clubs or the internal power struggle within the FAI we will not attract new investors,Fans and Government Grants.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Would say Dublin clubs definitely suffering from the 10 team league. Derry have low max capacity now so probably missing out on a few big gates. Drogs have to be suffering from increase in ticket price given they having a good season.

Would it be reasonable to assume attendances wopuld be higher during the summer months when no end of season foreign football & tv football distractions?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Pete, I'd put our lower attendences down to the god awful to watch football we've being playing. Ticket prices have also increased a bit. Used to be a fiver to get into the Lone Moor Road end (terrace), but since most of that has been closed it's £8 to get into the New Stand. Probably turned away a few people. Our change from Thursday to Saturday nights may have affected attendence, but should have a positive influence during the summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The price increase may be ruling out the casual fan who might just stroll down to a game to fill a hour or so but on a whole I think the league just isn’t offering the public what it wants or what it might accept, the general feeling is that the EL is Michael mouse and its hard to argue with a the **** that goes on, political wrangles, poxy grounds, high prices (for what your getting), poxy ten team league, poxy first division, riots (that get overblown), plus im not sure want the general feeling is but I think the standard of football has fallen drastically this season (bar shels errrrrr) from seeing all the teams in action, the whole summer league thing hasn’t worked or any gain has been ruled out by the extortionate price hikes

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Less media coverage and shels brilliant start. I actually think attendances will improve now because shels are not looking as strong as they were and hopefully a good result or two in europe might make a difference. Also dublin City have crap attendances at their home games but when they play away the same effect happens.

I fear that attendances will fall next season because of the increase of the premier division and the stupid system of playing against teams three times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    10 team league certainly doesn't help, and a return to 12 is welcome. If we could push that up towards 16 or 18 in the future playing just a home and away series it would be ideal (once there was still a first, for promotion/relegation).
    I agree definitely. 10 team league takes the sting out of the top games. Too much of a good thing gets boring after a while. And 12 team league playing each other 3 times is just stupid.

I don't think increasing the premier to a 22 team league would work because there would be too many games in a season. Lets say its increased to 18. There would be 4 clubs left out, which I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about. You could however set up a regionalised 1st division. With 3 regions, Leinster, Munster and Connacht/Ulster. And invite Senior teams from these regions to play in leagues with the 4 clubs left out. The winners of these leagues would go into a play off for promotion to the premier. Kind of like a Ryman/Dr Martins situation where teams get promoted to the conference in England.

Obviousley there is the possibility of a really small team winning the thing and finding the don't have the funds to compete in the premier division. In which case the FAI would have minimum requirements for a club to compete in the premier, like an A license say, and they would be refused entry until they got an A license.

Its just an idea, what do people think????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sounds good in theory but it would never fly, one bad season in the premier and your playing the likes of Wayside Celtic and Moyle Park every week cant see it happening it would be better to expand D1 and bring the likes of Thurles Town and Tralee Dinamos in.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc
    I don't think increasing the premier to a 22 team league would work because there would be too many games in a season. Lets say its increased to 18. There would be 4 clubs left out, which I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about.
    I did say there'd have to be a first!
    With 3 regions, Leinster, Munster and Connacht/Ulster. And invite Senior teams from these regions to play in leagues with the 4 clubs left out. The winners of these leagues would go into a play off for promotion to the premier. Kind of like a Ryman/Dr Martins situation where teams get promoted to the conference in England.
    Definately the way to go - clubs don't want to step up to the eL as things stand. Ideal would be an All Ireland League though.

Obviousley there is the possibility of a really small team winning the thing and finding the don't have the funds to compete in the premier division. In which case the FAI would have minimum requirements for a club to compete in the premier, like an A license say, and they would be refused entry until they got an A license.
    That should be the case from next season anyway, however nothing to stop small clubs getting up (as is the case now infairness - Monaghan a few years ago).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THESAINT2002
    sounds good in theory but it would never fly, one bad season in the premier and your playing the likes of Wayside Celtic and Moyle Park every week cant see it happening it would be better to expand D1 and bring the likes of Thurles Town and Tralee Dinamos in.
    I'd be all for the first division being expanded. But would these teams actually want to come into it?? When one of these teams go national, can they afford all the travelling expenses etc. Thats why I suggested a regionalised solution. But I would Ideally like an expanded first division. Maybe universities could take part and take a leaf out of UCDs book, and have sports courses to accomodate the players that play for them. I know UCC could afford to take part in a national league.

Macy, I don't think an all Ireland league would work. Too much politics, and probably an increase in crowd violance. I think UEFA said that the only way they could sanction an all Ireland league is if the Northern Ireland national team joined up with the Republic as well. Can't see it happening, as I said, too much politics.

Sheridan
    This is all in my grand plan

One of the main domestic measures I came up with was an expanded, regionalised First Division (based on the assumption that the twelve-team premier would be retained.)

It works like this:

Division One North (eight teams, including two new entrants)

Division One South (seven teams to be on the conservative side, including three new entrants. Or eight and four, if possible.)

After three rounds of fixtures in each division, the regional champions are promoted. Both runners-up qualify for the end-of-season play-offs. Then, all fifteen teams enter a final National Phase, with the slate wiped clean. After one round of matches (14 games), the first-placed team wins a play-off spot. (IOW, play-offs involve 10th side in Premier Division, two regional First Division runners-up and National Phase champions.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    This is all in my grand plan

One of the main domestic measures I came up with was an expanded, regionalised First Division (based on the assumption that the twelve-team premier would be retained.)

It works like this:

Division One North (eight teams, including two new entrants)

Division One South (seven teams to be on the conservative side, including three new entrants. Or eight and four, if possible.)

After three rounds of fixtures in each division, the regional champions are promoted. Both runners-up qualify for the end-of-season play-offs. Then, all fifteen teams enter a final National Phase, with the slate wiped clean. After one round of matches (14 games), the first-placed team wins a play-off spot. (IOW, play-offs involve 10th side in Premier Division, two regional First Division runners-up and National Phase champions.)
    I'm not sure I get it Sheridan, if the regional champs are already promoted then why would they compete in a national phase with nothing to play for?? Having already been promoted.

I really don't like the idea of playing 3 times. Against some teams you have 2 home games and 1 away. Thats why I was hoping for a 16 or 18 team premier division.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Someone posted up on JW's board a regional format for the entire league. Play teams in the same division home and away, and one series against teams in the other division (home and away rotated each season). Top 4 (if I remember correctly) play off home and away, with a kind of Grand Final to decide the Championship.

2 Leagues of 12 (so 2 additions). 33 Game "Regular" season, then the play off's. You could even have Trophy and Shield play off's to keep all teams interested into the play offs. 1-4 in each division into the Championship Playoffs, 5-8 in the Trophy Playoffs, 9-12 in the Shield Play Offs.

Personally, I prefer a straight league but it would certainly improve the coverage and keep the interest from a fans point of view. Play all the big teams, and plenty of derbies, good chance of winning something (there'd still be the cup as well).

Sheridan
    I'm not sure I get it Sheridan, if the regional champs are already promoted then why would they compete in a national phase with nothing to play for?? Having already been promoted
    That's a point, but I believe a similar system operates in the Netherlands (although it's far more convoluted and many teams have nothing to play for in the final half of the season. Unless it's been changed in the past four years.)

Still, on reflection it doesn't really work. Okay, try this; regional champions qualify for a play-off, National Phase winners promoted automatically (probably have to increase the number of games in this phase, if we're offering an automatic spot) and National Phase runners-up make the play-offs. At the end of the season, the two regional champions play-off for an automatic spot, and the regional runners-up for a play-off spot.

Straightforward regionalisation might make more sense, but I don't like the idea of teams in either region not playing one another (plus, I want to have a repechage tournament so the likes of Kilkenny and Monaghan have something to aim for in the final quarter. I often wonder what keeps those clubs going.)
    Last edited by Sheridan; 10/06/2004 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    I want to have a repechage tournament so the likes of Kilkenny and Monaghan have something to aim for in the final quarter. I often wonder what keeps those clubs going.)
    I know, it boggles the mind. Maybe a divisional cup might keep them going, where only first division clubs take part, or if you were to regionalise it, a cup for just that region might keep them with something to aim for.

Right now all they have to aim for is to not finish bottom.

All in all, I would prefer an expanded premier division, and hence the first division expanded to make up the numbers. Anyone know any non-league senior teams that would go into a new first division??

The only alternative as a 22 team premier. But isn't that too many games??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Just to comment on the original point about attendance drops: Rovers is probably mostly down to playing at 7:00, Pats and Derry are most likely suffering from their poor league position, Drogheda's price hike is probably their problem. God only knows why $hels' are down.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Pete, I'd put our lower attendences down to the god awful to watch football we've being playing.
    Thought ye been just as bad since cup final win?

Personally i prefer the summer season change & as so would want to swop May, June & July for December, January & February.

The one plus i'll say for the 10 team Premier is that unlikley to have seen Waterford & Drogs do so well in the 12 team comfort zone. I think its debatable if the standard has lowered as probably just cos games are tighter? Can't argue that average standard has improved a lot.

I know i'm biased but attendances at the cross continue to impress as unusual toi get less than 3k over last 3 years which is a good core support. Pats have record of good crowds but obviously in a bad phase whereas Bohs continue to get much poorer crowds than i'd expect.

Playing teams 3 times in 12 team league is idiotic & only real solution is break division in half after 2 rounds.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I love this "change the format" argument, regional divisions, season breaks, top six splits, winter football, play each other once , play each other twice, play each other 3 times......what difference does it make ????- people are not going to el football full stop - the people that stay away from say pats longford on a sunny evening in south dublin dont give a flying fck whether these teams play each other once twice or fifty times - THEY DONT WANT TO GO TO ANY OF THESE GAMES!

the shambles of tv coverage situation means that theres no momentum - nothing is sustained on a consistent and professional basis - its just hit and miss haphazard make do rubbish

only the die hards now know when games are on, and even they have frequent difficulties - there is no hope to attract the floating punter in the current environment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast